World chat

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Fei Akhart, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Maybe just create a peasant orb that allows players to access the chat room similar to Noble orb, except they will have to complete certain quest on the start scene to prevent spam boots from easily accces the chat.

2. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

In my opinion, one of SotA's current problems (and what I see many players complaining about) is the "lack of players".

The problem is that the players are there, they just need to meet. World chat would help a lot.

As much as SotA is a different game, we need to put tools that attract new players as well. That generates interaction.

An example of another game, which makes that clear. Does anyone know Pokemon Go? When this app was released I warned that interest in it would be lost because of lack of interaction (that's what happened after the boom of interest). And what is the reason for the return of interest in the game in the last month? Interaction. They added "friends list", "sending gifts", "exchanges" between players.

[​IMG]

When I opened the topic yesterday, I had this in mind. I think this could help the game bring in and engage more people.

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Global chat has never worked in any game. Even Wow had "area global chat" and the lvl 20 areas were full of never spamming trolls and there is no way to fix them.

But that is what Discord is for. Just about everyone seems to be in Discord and you can selectively read it when you choose to (not forced into your chat in game).

I did have the "noble orb" for the high pledge global chat and guess what... it was spammed all the time even with the limited number of people in it. If it wasnt sales spam, it was social engineers trying to get people ticked off in general. You always end up with one person who puts up walls of text with apparent conversations with themselves. Psychologically a person in that chat doesn't not want to leave it because it was used at times for important communication about events but you had to waid through 1000 spam chats about a guys dog before you got some valid info. I sold my orb and now that fella is getting the spam.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

World Chat is like Map Integration, sparkles and all that just a bad idea and prevent people from playing their toon, but instead do the more efficient way.
    But all this efficency steal a lot of random Moments and Adventures with other players.

A good example was the Hungering Deep Quest in Sea of Thieves.
    To get it done you needed a second Crew.
    There is no possibility to ask friends , there is no world Chat .you need to find people and try to find out if they are willing to help you with the quest or if they want to sink you or even trick and betray you and play bad jokes.
    Exactly this created Adventures , interaction in pve and pvp.
    It made people roleplay because the only way to shout over is using a megaphone and shouting.
    We allways use it to communicate with other Crews , be it to parley, 2are them, ask them something or just send some greetings.
    My favorite is: Give us all your goods or die you Landlovers :D
    More RPish than a several "Rich Roleplaying " game :rolleyes:

Selene likes this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Never understood the need for global chat. It always turns into the least common denominator level chat.

What’s the hope here? To make things feel more populated? Make the game more populated and it will feel that way.

Jaesun, Stundorn and Alley Oop like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I understand the desire for a world chat but I still am not for it. As it stands many don't even know to use zone chat or how to set up two chat windows at all with one for chat only. I would love to see one day a cool meeting place on the maps.

Also the players who chat with me don't even know about our music system. Occasionally I take some spare sheet music to the novia map and say hello to the zone but I get very few hellos back which leads me to believe that many players don't know how to set up a more functional chat system for themselves.

So don't forget to /z for zone and drag and resize chat windows how you like. Also to set up chat windows click on the little blue gear to un-check other options besides conversation options for that window.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think more global chat might be helpful too.

But if global chat was more broadly implemented, I'd like to see players need to 'buy into it' as early founders did. The global chat approach implemented with the founders orb is very good because it has a 'barrier to entry.' Spammers are less likely to want to access SOTA's global chat because it involves a cost, and they especially would not want to repeat that cost each time their account is banned and they have to start over. Further, by structuring global chat access around a special device, it means that its not a central feature required to play the game and could be taken away in situations of abuse simply by taking away the device. As a global chat holder now, I'd be ok if the devs offered a similar device in the store for all backers if it both came with a price and was offered as a 'second global channel' (so nobles chat continues separately.)

Beyond that, Jason is right on. The issue is a more complicated than labeling global chat as 'outdated' or an 'advancement' (matters of opinion) and not as easy as asking users to decide who to squelch themselves. Its no secret that global chat has a multi-decade history of abuse, and the service provider (not us) has to manage that. The first reason is obvious. We've seen in many games now that communities do not tend to accept the 'moderate-on-your-own' approach as good enough. Instead, they pounce on their developer for unmoderated global chat being a big problem with their game. The same would happen here. But its more than that. If dealing with drama and gold spammers were not enough, we need to appreciate that service providers also have concerns about larger legal matters, such online harassment and gang recruiting issues, to which larger populations might be exposed in unmoderated, broadly public channels. Its wise for a service provider to moderate truly global chat channels for enterprise risk management purposes. And that requires resources.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  8. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

This, well put.
    Also they could prevent trial accounts using a global chat then youd have to have paid for the game to be able to use it.

Fei Akhart likes this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

What I would like to see is to have the dev implement the world chat. Let it run for a few weeks or two. If it turns out to be really horrible as some speculated, then just shut it off. That way, we don't have to go back and forth between this idea.

Right now it's just all theoretical talks that typically turns into flame wars.

FrostII and Coffee Pirate like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And why would we need to do that? We get enough idle barguing back and forth here. Very few utilize or customize the chat we do have. The largest zone in the game to access most players is the Novia map but yet zone chat in that area is silent. I have tried to reach out and send hellos to players in that zone. I would still like to see us utilize what we do have already.

Coffee Pirate likes this.
  11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

As I mentioned earlier. If it doesn't work out, we would have something to refer to the next time someone brought this up again. No more going back and forth with all these theoretical pros and cons.

On the other hand, it might work out and solve the problem with new players hitting plateau before they can enjoy the game.

nonaware likes this.
  12. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I think world chat needs to be given a chance.

Xandra7 and Coffee Pirate like this.
  13. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

If there was world chat, I'd keep it unchecked all the time on all my tabs. Just like I do with zone chat. "Hearing" people talk that are not in my vicinity breaks my immersion. It's ok for friends or people that really have an important message to whisper stuff to me, obviously, but that's directed at me, and meaningful (most of the time). Being guildless for the moment I don't have to worry about guild spam. :D

If people really feel they need to use the game as a chatroom, I won't say no. I simply won't participate.

Coffee Pirate, Alley Oop and Barugon like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same.

15. Turok64

Turok64 Avatar

If this isn't implemented soon, this is part of the demise of this game. As a game which has a new influx of new players that aren't that hardcore, how will they ever know about the monthly streams?

So many new players no jack about it.

Global chat!!!

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't agree with it being the demise of the game. I've been here since 2013. If you knew the things we've waited for you would be amazed. Well maybe you do ;). It's fine to say in your opinion the game needs global chat. That is your opinion. Will it fail with out it? That is speculative. So I agree to players voting yes for it if that is what they feel. I don't necessarily feel it's best for this game but it depends on how it is implemented.

In the meantime players can get educated about the zone chat we do already have and get busy using it. To use it to reach the most players go to the novia map, click on nearby players in the upper right corner of the screen to see how many are there, drag a chat window tab out from your chat window and resize them both. Then click on the blue flower like tab to uncheck all but your chat options. Then type /z and talk to the zone. It is not perfect but it is ours and it is very under-used.

Then while debating and rallying for global chat to come in game no one has to not speak to the masses. Educating everyone is a goal I have when I get back from my trip the end of August.

Edited

Coffee Pirate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.