Get the word out about livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stonetrew, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lace

Lace Avatar

This!

Coffee Pirate and Sol Stormlin like this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

Seems to me they could send an in-game mail. The system is there. People can't help but notice when they get something.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Just having a popup like, the size of your 'equipment is damaged popup' appear somewhere unobtrustive when there's about to be a stream - and make this 'closeable' and it doesn't come back once you close it ....shouldn't be too disruptive to gameplay but will let people know things are happening. And I suppose you could always have an option to disable them. Personally I'd like to know when dev-stream stuff is going on and I typically only read the main website while I'm sat looking at refining bars.

Sol Stormlin likes this.
  4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Who cares? They don't listen to anyone and do what they want anyway then they come crying to us about revenue and rightsizing. They don't get it whether you word it nicely or Caska style. I knew about the telethon but I didn't donate. Instead I tell everyone that my Path of Courage wasn't a bad experience and that the $20 promo wasn't a WOFTAM (not the player @Woftam) but quite playable for someone who doesn't need much care and feeding.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Azzamean likes this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I hate them mostly because that red color turns into unreadable mud with the background transparency. The red color is just a bit too dark.
    I did my part by mentioning it in guild chat multiple times the day before.

Sol Stormlin and majoria70 like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

To clarify, I was talking about the rather inflammatory original name of this thread. It has been changed and so shouldn't be immidiately deleted.

7. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Scene loading page would be the ideal location for notifications while things like this are happening - doesn't affect gameplay, I long ago stopped paying attention to the messages that are normally there but make it visually distinctive (font, size, colour, make it glow...) and I'd probably notice and open a tab in my browser while I'm waiting for the game.

I seriously need all the help I can get - normally completely forget these, last night I happened to see a post on the forum that reminded me, but by the time I'd read the post I'd already forgotten the stream was happening >.<

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

@Stonetrew - You might want to check out the main SOTA news page if you are having trouble. This event has been advertised there front and center since 25 June.

Just click the big image titled 'Release 55 Livestream' and you're in. No other technical knowledge required.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29385

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Elwyn and Boo Ladedada like this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

He's not having trouble, we are. The website is not the only spot we need to be showing this. Heck, I had a friend ask about it part way in when I remembered to post it to my FB group chat, "We have a livestream today?" He's a hard-core fan and somehow he missed it!

He would have known then. He plays all the time, so if during scene loading or off to the side in a "News" window on the main menu, there were announcements, he would not have been in the dark.

Heck, even FTL has a button for their new game on the main menu now. Spread the news, spread it in game, and keep spreading it.

3devious likes this.
  10. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah, have it on top of all loading pages. You can still have the regular tips and artwork below, but the top would have an overlayed banner with all these announcements. Great idea Vaentorian.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Monkeys have flown spacecraft into orbit. By comparison, all we have to do is read the SOTA news page and click one link. Its that easy.

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

/facepalm

Yes, it is that easy.

Now what about all the players and potential players who don't check the website?

13. Stonetrew

Stonetrew Avatar

I have a busy life, How hard is it for them, The ones providing the Service, That needs revenue to keep prodicing this game while getting paid to put even in the global mesages 48 to 72 hours before that a livestream is kicking off, I do't think it is that hard. I sometimes don't have the time to read every page that shroud has to get this info Although I do know they are there. I don't miss livestreams as a norm. I was posting that they keep wanting new players to create revenue, how does someone that joined the game a week before livestream is not guided yet know such a thing exists? Information is key to communication to achieve a common goal. I really dont mind they changed the title, The post still did its intentional use, I am not as refined as some of you are, And I am very good with that!

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

I think they should take advantage of the loading screens. Everyone has to load into the game (as well as from one scene to the next). Make the games initial load screen have "upcoming announcements" rather than a "useful hint". There are all sorts of things they could do around that. If they maintained a special loading screen for this purpose, they could mix it in with all the others. It has a 100% chance of appearing as you load into the game, and a 1 in X chance (where X is the number of load screens they currently have) of appearing during a scene transition. They could up the frequency as events get closer (eg. on the day of a live stream, the load screen that has the livestream details on it would have a 1 in 5 chance of appearing during a scene transition).

That's just making use of current technology that's already in the game. I'm sure most people here hate the load times, and if tech ever improved to the point where they could reduce/remove load times, they could at that time, implement a splash screen / window that shows up when you first login that contains the info.

15. Stonetrew

Stonetrew Avatar

Yet those monkeys were instructed or pushed into that said spacecraft

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.