From 150K to "many thousands" in less than 1 year? Where did the players go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaanelle DeJure, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm super confused.

According to the SeedInvest "Joinder Agreement" from approximately one year ago:

Yet, in a more recent interview, Richard said:

Can anybody explain?

Canterbury, Smitty, Chatele and 8 others like this.
  2. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

A moments thought would suggest that 150k players represents everyone who has ever logged into the game.

Perashim, Nelzie, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think @Mugly Wumple is correct. That number most likely includes any accounts that were ever created through either the purchase of the game or a free trial. This would of course include alt accounts. I'm hoping they do not include forum registrations in that number.

4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Hmm. Maybe I read that wrong, but it seemed to me that "highly engaged" implied active gameplayers. Even accounting for alts, that seems like a massive rate of attrition to the player base.

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I couldn't agree more.

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Examples of some reasons why this is so, that go all the way back to, or in some cases before, permanence:

"Treasure" (or, "Why Did Someone Take the Treasure and Leave this Crap?")

"Broken Quests" (or, "How Many Years Does it Take to Get to the Center of a Quest-Pop?")

"Imbalanced Systems, Vol 1"
    "Imbalanced Systems, Vol 2"
    "Imbalanced Systems, Vol 3" (or, "The Wrecking Ball in the Willows, the Series")

There are others... lack of real depth to crafting (much less the recipes making the slightest sense... they've started getting better about this though), smoke and mirrors games with promises and pledge rewards, lack of communication in advance of the immediately previous issue... the list can go on and on, I just don't have the time or desire to weed through the forum posts over the years and come up with semi-humorous things to label them...

Edit (forgot to actually finish the thought and relevance): These things have all worked over the years to slowly whittle away at those 150k registered accounts until you are left with what you (maybe don't) see now.

Edit x2: About the crafting, before you all go cuckoo... I understand that in terms of number of recipes, there are few games that could equal this one. But, in those other games, there are systems I need to engage to produce said items whether we are talking about renting a production facility or building a complete system of your own (EvE Online), or they have some form of alternate entertainment, like a minigame (EvE has a couple of examples of this one too...), that can help invest the player's INTEREST, as well as time, in the process.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Unfortunately many of those folks have either 8-5 works or taking multiple shifts and then spend times with kids and wife/husband, which limits their gaming time.

The good ole 10 hours gaming during college years are long gone :(

Max Bennis, Rentier, Chatele and 7 others like this.
  8. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I thought it was settled that that number from seed was the number of forum accounts (registered interest, not specifically players). Good luck on getting an official answer.

9. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

These two figures represent completely different metrics and cannot be compared to each other to draw any conclusions.

Regarding the statement: "The Company has a highly engaged player community of over 150k registered players who have logged in aggregate over 3 million hours of gameplay," the "highly engaged" statement most likely applies to the 3 million hours of gameplay and the 150k registered players is just a sizing of the total interest.

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Thanks for the links. They look interesting but I don't have time atm to peruse them.

If, by chance, you find your post has mysteriously disappeared, please PM me with those links!

3devious and fonsvitae like this.
  11. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

It would be quite refreshing to hear how many players are active each month and also how much money is needed to maintain current staffing each month.

This would be better to hear than some made up reason why we are having a second telethon this month.

I just feel like we are all in this together and let's be honest about the game going forward. Currently I am not even purchasing or playing because I don't trust the game will continue. @Darkstar you literally said trust us we are doing fine before you laid off half your staff.

Brewton, Ataniiq and Pinky2 like this.
  12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Well it's fair to assume that the funders and owners of a company would have free access to basic data about the company's performance.

Now... Port did put out a 180-something-page document. Which I did read. But I'm afraid I got the wrong impression.

Hoping somebody "in the know" will offer us the courtesy of some clarification.

Canterbury likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol..

While i would love * and have been suspended for asking in the past as well as derailed and ridiculed for trolling * to see more transparency..
    I hold to my previous comments about this issue.

They would save so much more energy answering questions properly instead of locking and moderating as has been the norm for years, only to have the same questions asked over and over.

And of coarse it was posted after * quitting time * .. or it would have been locked immedietly.

As much as i strongly disagree with a lot of what the OP's user says and has said over the years, the questions legit. And their approach to these kind of questions up till now ( and the community who seems like they learned the word troll from the devs ) is exactly why so many people left the game as sour as they did.

Which led to people posting elsewhere more sour. Especially those with financial backings in the project, or huge fans of RG.

Good luck getting your answers! And i dont mean that sarcasticly, it would be a huge huuuge positive change to see them own up to current issues or shortcomings players are finding, and instead talk about resolutions or ACTUAL plans to address these issues, instead of locking and moderating. ( and especially following up with the idea these concerns or questions are troll posts ).

Or you can ban people for asking about the * warning points system * that magically came into play, and keep pushing people into leaving the community sourly.

Blight out.

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

*shrug*. Getting on 10pm on a Thursday night over here. Is that not a common time for people to be on the Internetz?

But anyway, anybody could easily see I post at all times of the day and night. ;)

And besides, if I were trollin' I'd be bringing up pointless topics like castle keep walls.

This is more of a question about something important, like a company's material statements made to potential investors, through a third-party which claims to have carefully "vetted".

3devious and Thexedor Markhamm like this.
  15. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Here is my take:

The Company has a highly engaged player community of over 150k registered players who have logged in aggregate over 3 million hours of gameplay.
    This sentence is worded in a way that can be interpreted in different ways, but I feel it's vague enough that it's not actually misleading.

150k registered players - has to be anyone who ever registered an account even if they never played or just logged in once.
    Highly engaged community - that's another much smaller group (it has never been huge). But those of us who belong to it are surely highly engaged.

These are two different statements which have nothing to do with each other even though they are squeezed into the same sentence.

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Blight! You have always been a good frenemy. Not surprised our divergent tactics have led us to the same place.

Peace, brotha!

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

*looks around* *blinks* *rubs eyes*

What... What happened? Here, at our darkest hour, is it... a faint glimmer of hope?!

Suddenly this thread feels... Lighter... More breathing room.. almost... Transparent even!

3devious, Boris Mondragon and Brewton like this.
  18. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Pretty sure that was registered forum accounts at the time. They were listed as "New Brittanians" for a long time on the homepage and topped out around 200k last time I saw it.

MrBlight and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  19. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Raw data that is used in these #s usually will not reflect those single players that have 10 separate accounts with X# of alts on each acct. The only true # would be a count of IP log ins but that # would also be off a bit by multiple people playing on the same IP.

No # you get will be factual .. Always altering situations ...

The Company has a highly engaged player community of over 150k registered players. Could mean 150k separate users or much less with multiple acct boxing. (I can run 4 accts of separate games or just 4 accts in 1 game at the same time...

These #s are PR only as they are in all games. What you see in game will be more reliable than #s.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

The Company has a highly engaged player community of over 150k registered players who have logged in aggregate over 3 million hours of gameplay.

Just marketing speak for - Please infer that the first part of the sentence has to do with the next two parts of the sentence. Both parts are true but we know that there are not 150k active participants.

3 mil /150k is 20hrs per account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.