Please remove the slowing effect when around anything living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khalest, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Why is this an "and/or" choice? Why can't there be a different reaction than "SLOW DOWN" if my avatar gets too near an NPC with its collision box? The worst situation is when an NPC starts walking next to you and you are stuck to them. It's like trying to walk through quicksand. Why can't you just bounce off?

2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I understand that it would be a ton of work to make an actual realistic system and that you can just run around NPCs to avoid getting slowed won. All I'm saying is that realism can't really be a justification for the current system, because the current system isn't even remotely realistic. When two people collide, they don't stick together and turtle shuffle around until there is 2 feet of space between them.

It's not really possible to force players to act in a way that's realistic. If a player does decide to just steamroll into NPCs, something has to happen though.

A more common scenario would be just walking around someplace where there are other people. In real life, people see each other and constantly make little corrections in their movement so that nobody bumps into each other. In SotA, you can be standing completely still, and NPCs will shuffle right into you like they are blind and then yell at you to watch where you're going.

This stuff isn't a huge deal to me or anything. I just don't see what we currently have as good enough to merit the annoyance that it produces.

Kara Brae likes this.
  3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

It's the same as road rage. If there was someone driving really slowly in front of you for no particular reason, and you were in a hurry, you would be mad too!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Right. And it's even worse because the npcs are programmed to target and approach you when you are near them.

Uncle Sven and Kara Brae like this.
  5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I agree with an alternative solution... as the developers have stated we have a game of actions and consequences. If I am running full speed through town and the little old lady gets in my way, she should go flying, and I continue running. I would then take a hit to my karma. Then I could choose in town to slow down, or go bowling for townfolk and try to get a strike.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I'd go bowling each time! :D

Chatele likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If something incredibly trivial starts to bother me, I stop myself and recite the Buddhist mantra of compassion. :)

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

If I have to move slowly around them, stop making the walk right up in my face trying to get me to small their armpits.

Woodchuck likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Why not, the bankers in the towns walk through walls with no problems

10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Yes but they have been embezzling from the bank and working with the Kobolds to get that technology.

Jaesun likes this.
  11. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Please don't pretend there is any realistic anything in this game, or really any RPG. There is nothing realistic in games where you swing swords, hit unarmored things, and not turn them into two unarmored things. Running forever. Traversing huge distances on the over world map in seconds. Instantly placing buildings. Instantly crafting intricate, gigantic, or intricately gigantic things. The list goes on. These things were removed because these mechanics would be terribly tedious and un-fun. There was way more realism taken out of this game (every game) to make it enjoyable than there is reflected in it.

Nobody plays these kinds of games because they're realistic, that's just something they tell themselves. If you really wanted realism, you'd go where there is infinite realism - anywhere but a video game.

Kara Brae, Chatele and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Soo.. you want to be able to ignore the inhabitants of Novia, and stampede through them willy-nilly like they're not even there..

Wow

Maybe the Avatists have a point about us Avatars..

;)

-Met

13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

“...experimenting...”

Sounds like it’s time to adjust the experiment...

Kara Brae likes this.
  15. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

I would love to trample over these nasty small spiders instead of being surrounded and blocked by them if I need to run for survival.

Chatele likes this.
  16. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Why? I mean why is slowing better? Why not let us the player decide whether we wanna have that effect active by putting it as a question with a click here box so we can turn it on or off? But more realistically & even more important the question is why is it even in the game? They have done an excellent, no, a superb job of making 99% of the content of this game as realistic as possible. From the fact that NPC's have sex and pass gas (please see the post: Love & Flatulance in the Shroud ) to the fact that bad guys in the game can hear & SMELL you coming & realise to be on guard, so why did they put in an effect that not only has no basis in reality or real life but its something that only serves to slow players pace &/or aggrivate them?

But i do agree with you that it would be cool to bump into people. Although there is something similar in the game now. Ive noticed if you pass through an NPC to...well...quickly or rudely, that they will say "Hey watch it!" or "Hey dont bump into me..." At first i found myself saying back to them (verbally xD) "STFU if you werent in the way in the first place i wouldnt have had to do it!" LMAO, it took me awhile to stem that :p So that right there says that the people "making" (because there is constant additions & changes made) this game have done an AWESOME job in making it something more than what it seems on the outside, theyve made it an immersive, humerous, frustrating & emotional experience. This game transcends the boundry of a "game"......the "Shroud of the Avatar" is an "Experience".......

Rentier likes this.
  17. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Have to hit that 40 hours of story?

Jaesun likes this.
  18. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Since it is working as intended and they're already short-handed I'd hope they do absolutely nothing about this issue. There are plenty of worthwhile things that still need taken care of.

Feeyo, majoria70 and Daedwax like this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

As annoying as it is, I’d settle for a reduced radius before it triggers. I feel like, half the time, my character’s not close enough for it to consider “bumping into” another character.

Alley Oop and Rentier like this.
  20. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Epi 3 stretch goal for 'Pushing & shoving'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.