Ranged Combat Guide

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Diab Blackbow, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

@Diab Blackbow Out of curiosity, have you ever soloed a daemon, and if so, any advice? I'm level 93, bone armor, hard maple bow. GM or higher in most ranged skills. My best run at him, I got him down to around 7500 hp, but sooner or later, he gets a couple crits in a row and I'm sunk. I know I need to beef up my heal-over-times (I've got soothing rain at 80, but haven't played with Elysian Illumination or Healing grace yet, so Iplane to put some points in there this weekend.)

Diab Blackbow likes this.
  2. Milca

Milca Avatar

This guide helped me a lot. Thank you very much for sharing.

3. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I never really messed with him. I haven't played much this release but I might give him a shot. I heard it's all timing.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Sort of. He does a flying stomp that works like the troll stomp, jump and yih avoid it. But if you have so emdistance, he does a charge attack, and has a magic ranged attack. Plus he likes to teleport you around.

5. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Thanks @Diab Blackbow , I was looking for a suitable guide for my bone armored archer.

Now can plan on which skill to raise and how to use it.

Kinda lost on what to do to get better these days to be honest.(AL 71)

Thanks again.

6. Silberfarn

Silberfarn Avatar

Hello Diab,
    Thanks for the good video and the thread here to collect useful archery comments and tips. Could you please confirm that crossbow has a longer range than longbow (i am off game the next weeks)? I also wondered about you using evasion (light armor) as i found ice shield (water) and fortify (tactics) the better choices for damage avoidance, since you can only stack two avoidance skills. The xp of evasion can easily fill heavy armor skills.
    One comment on levelling rapid shot, which is my favourite ranged damage also: you have 130 skill for the maximum of 10 arrows per volley with ranged spec 80. That is because every 25 skill points over 100 rapid skill give one more arrow in the volley up to a max of 10, so we theoretically need 150 rapid skill for the maximum number of arrows per volley. Now 4 ranged spec points count as one point towards the rapid shot limit, meaning ranged spec of 80 counts as 20 points which with your 130 actual skill points yields 150, giving you 10 arrows per rapid shot volley. I know you know that. If you now go back to the skill tables for calculating xp you find the raising ranged spec to 88 and rapid shot to 128 is more efficient in saving xp points, plus your other bow skills profit from the extra 8 points in ranged spec. Just a minor add on to your good tutorial.

I also play mainly archer but with life spec instead of light armor. I can highly recommend that, the 50% reduction in cast time for healing touch/ray (life spec 80) are all that stands between life and death, literally. With upper tears as the main grinder in this game, you are also well off with attunement for banish, but that would derail your thread too much. As archers are often supporters, group heals are very appreciated :)

A small advocacy for other ranged skills: For boss fights, blinding shot robs them of dex needed for landing crits on you, best combined with blind (sun tree).
    Multi shot is not that bad, i had it on locked, charged up to 6 and laid ruin on the elite archers in the rise. When playing with Noobs, you can use it to get aggro from all mobs in order to protect the noobs. Though the best bang for bucks is still aimed and rapid.

Could a more experienced archer share her or his experience with piercing shot? I found it vastly inferior to aimed shot in every case. Even for armored bosses aimed shot was better or on par. The extra damage of aimed gets eaten by armor and is then the same as piercing shot, I found.

One last thing on maxing dexterity: the companion quest of Fiona Fitzowen gives you a +10 dex helmet, I could not beat that with my crafting.

Cheers, Silberfarn

Thermight and StarLord like this.
  7. Galadriel O'Sullivan

Galadriel O'Sullivan Avatar

8. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Crossbow definitely has a longer range. I am traveling right now but I might have a video showing that.

I would not use evasion over ice shield or fortify but at the time of this video, Death Shield was OP which left a spot open for Evasion

9. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

After this video Multishot got a buff which makes it viable. I was using it to pull and clear the entire mage room.

I leveled piercing shot to 120 and Ranged spec too GM and still found the skill weak compared to other options. Aim Shot and Rapid Fire are awesome at 140. I would not waste the xp on piercing.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

*bump*

Ever give it a shot?

11. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Hi Diab,
    is there a decent improvement for rapid fire from L125 (+ L100 spec) to L140? L125 gives the additional 10th arrow, huge improvement.
    Would not base ranged or draw strength be better at L140 instead of rapid fire?
    And finally a blasphemous question: I could not see a huge benefit from ranged spec (contrary to say taming). Is ranged spec really worth it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.