Hi - New to game

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by devilmanz1024, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilmanz1024

devilmanz1024 Avatar

I'm new to the game and want to get more into it. I was a UO player for many years when I was a kid, owned a castle and then grew up lol. Anyways, I'm trying to understand the game as it has a major learning curve, unlike most games today...

I've been reading on few guides and want to know if its like Ultima's online skill - 100 base with 7 skills only or is it endless. I can't seem to find an answer. If so, I wasted my first character and probably need to reset skills.

Thanks and it's nice to relive my childhood in a different game, but same style. >:)

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Welcome.

When you reach 100 in a skill you become a grandmaster.

You can progress more than that, but the XP costs become really high eventually so your progression basically slows down.

There are several posts on these forums if you look around that will serve you well as guides - Sara Dreygon's blades guide, and a few others.

Jaesun, moxiepilot and devilmanz1024 like this.
  3. devilmanz1024

devilmanz1024 Avatar

Thank you!

4. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The game is clearly not like UO in that matter. You gain experience points that your skills will eat as you use them, without limit (there is one limit but I mean unless you grind 24/7 and dump all your exp in that specific skill and that its a x1 skill and that you do that for a whole month to reach lvl 200). You can learn all the skills, and basically build a "deck" from the skill cards (or glyphs), so you can be what you want! Your character is clearly not wasted, if you want to GM all the skills, you do you, have fun! Feel free to ask around, a lot of things are complexe in this game and we are glad to explain anything you end up asking!

devilmanz1024 likes this.
  6. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

To expand on what Lord Trady said, there are no hard caps (although experience costs become prohibitive above 100), but there is a skill decay mechanic that starts at adventurer level 40. The way decay works is that when you die, you lose a small percentage of experience from every adventurer skill. This percentage increases at skill levels 81 and 101. If a skill is set to not train (grey bar) or unlearn (red downward arrows) the skill will decrease accordingly. If it's set to train (green up arrow) or maintain (yellow up arrow) then experience will be pulled from your pool and the skill won't drop unless your pool doesn't have enough experience to cover the debt. The final thing to note is that experience costs for skills are on an exponential curve, so the amount of experience to get a skill to 80 is drastically lower than the amount to go from 80 to 100.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  7. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

@devilmanz1024
    Welcome I hope you enjoy the game.
    You may not know but right now there is an opportunity to get some game loot at a very good price. Until midnight tonight you can purchase $5.00 on the SOTA Store and you will receive all of the stretch goal items for free.

Most new players miss this opportunity but it is a great deal and a way to get a lot of free stuff.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

You are not obligated to purchase anything but this is a really good deal if you have an extra 5 bucks laying around.

Right now here are the things you get for the small purchase on the store:

Blue, Yellow, Red, Silver Aerial Combo Replenishing Box of Fireworks
    Silver Serpent Crackle Aerial Combo Replenishing Box of Fireworks
    Lord British Silver Serpent Wand
    Lord British Pavers
    Lord British Round Table
    Lord British Large Telescope

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome to SOTA! Great to have you with the community.

9. devilmanz1024

devilmanz1024 Avatar

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Welcome, and always feel free to ask any questions here. The community is really helpful. Hope you have fun!

11. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @devilmanz1024, Welcome to the lands of Novia and the Hidden Vale.We are all here to guide you if you need it. First thing is what style are you planning to take? Light or heavy armor? Blades, bludgeon, bow, or magic? Let us know and we can help with specific build suggestions. Also there is a looking for group that I don't think is being used enough for low level avatars. Start a group for low levels and adventure together. Also a great way to meet people. I have a couple of alts that need training I could join your group. What is your in game name? Either way have fun, ask questions, explore, and pile up those coins!

12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This game allows you to build whatever type of character you want. The only restrictions are time. Money is a restriction as well: in-game you can earn gold to buy what you want; or you can pay real money to get what you need. That may sound P2W, but not so much. You can buy top-level gear, but all that gets you is top-level gear - you still need to progress in your skills to be effective.

13. Albus

Albus Avatar

Welcome to the fun ;) Skill progression is open-ended, have as many skills as you like, individual skills cost more and more to keep raising higher -not that noticeable before skill 80, then much more noticeable after 100 but you can push a skill farther if you want. But often advisable to round out skills, say get several to 80 before you get one skill to 100, but the options are there. Note once you have a bunch of high level skills (say 100+), there is an experience point penalty upon death that gets harsher as you go, but by they you will have a fair grasp of your ability to survive encounters so you can manage it as you like. Enjoy :)

14. Trof

Trof Avatar

Greetings and Welcome. I stream on the weekends on Twitch under Papa_Trof. My stream is mostly dedicated to answering new player questions and demonstrating if needed. So if you have some questions or just want to say hi look for me.

majoria70, devilmanz1024 and Gaelis like this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

More like ten years. Yes, the math really does get that harsh.

16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Actually a x1 skill is 16709M exp, so 24/7 would take 1.9 years of nonstop grinding at 1m exp per hour! Not gonna happen lol!

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to new Britannia.

In case your avatar pic meant you loved taming here is a link to Taming in SotA - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...g-and-other-taming-skills-r55-updated.112216/

18. stile

stile Avatar

We Bid Ye Welcome

19. devilmanz1024

devilmanz1024 Avatar

20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Welcome to Novia, @devilmanz1024!

May your paths be virtuous and a great memory ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.