Why is that...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milca

Milca Avatar

"That's because Effort = Rewards anywhere, anytime, any situation period. This shouldn't even be a discussion.
    If you need me to explain further, no effort = no reward.
    I sincerely hope you can understand this, otherwise, you are not only going to have a hard time in the game, but also in life."

Valid or invalid?

Well... if you agree with what I said but are too uncomfortable to say it out in the open, you don't have to answer that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

hahaha sorry dude you are wrong - try to put effort in meditation to become elightened :D

3. Milca

Milca Avatar

Well... that's that. Enjoy the game and stop complaining

Dhanas likes this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

enjoy the forum and just dont care about me ;)

5. Milca

Milca Avatar

Good come back for when you run out of false logic to counter argue though.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its an icrease to all skills in that tree also. The basic weapon skill is essentially weapon attunment

You would have to check attunment vs weapon skill, and compare a spells increase to a weapon ability’s increase.

I also believe int affects spell damage more than strength affects all but bludgeon weapon damage, and int affects spell crit chance more than dex affects weapon crit but im not 100% sure on that one.

Thats a big reason int buffs are so scarce

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Hello Arkah, i tested it on QA and main polearm skill to 140 increased just my autoattack-charged attack damage from around 30% but it didn't affect polearm skills like puncture etc.
    About stats you're absolutely right, this is why i said that gear is much more important than skills level since int affects much more stone arrow than skill level.

PS: Unfortunately Bludgeon tree is not working like that anymore (the bonus damage from str is comparable to other weapons atm), they changed "Breaker" passive skill into flat str and not weapon str damage like it was before.

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This Video from @Mac2 proves this Antrax. Not to argue with you, but this shows that the bladed combat passive increases bladed skills, so unless something is wrong with the math, it should do the same thing with other weapon classes.

9. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

To be honest i tested just with polearm few days ago (difference from 100 to 140), weird thing, I'll try blade test asap just to be sure.
    Is it possible that something has changed from March to today?

PS: In the video the damage seems also not increased by 87%, i really need to investigate. Thanks for sharing it :)

10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Did not notice anything in the past few patch notes, so I`d be surprised. Do you just look at the tooltip or tried casting the skill on a dummy each time? Maybe the tooltip doesnt update but the damage math takes it into account?

11. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Tested directly on the practice dummy, but wasn't a test from level 20 to 140 but 100 to 140 and the damages seemed to be the same with puncture.

Pming Mac ;)

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I now have gms in all the skill I need to use swords, bludge, polearm and archery.

I will confirm the same thing I have said over the past 3 years (especially the 2 I really tried to be a bludge build), bludge is TERRIBLE compared to every and any other skill without a doubt. Amazingly it seemed it continues to be actually nurfed. At least I got pretty good in PvP with it at one point due to chain stuns and then Chris nurfed that.

the best it ever got was a build I had with a 1h hammer and a earth wand... but then they nurfed earth (which really sucks now too and technically has with the exception of a 2-3 month period where it was broke a bit and I could hit stuff with earth arrow for 600 hp).

3 years now....

Brugas and Ataniiq like this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

True, at start bludgeon tree was viable with the old weapon str bonus but atm the damage is just sub par other weapons, no healing modifier effect, no dots, short range and the cc too often fails due to latency/sync issues.

Ataniiq likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

What? No, it makes complete sense.

The idea that role-playing is just about dramatizing and play acting is an idea of role-playing that's spoiled by MMOs that haven't bothered creating proper role-playing mechanics and incentives, so players interested in role-playing end up having to make up for the shortfalls of the game design.

In a fully fleshed out RPG, you would have actual incentives to kill someone, consequences to winning, consequences to losing. That's what made it role-playing, not the fancy dramatic things you chose to said before killing them. In pen-and-paper RPGs, it was the role of the DM to direct all of this for you, in computer RPGs, the game designers took over the role of the DM.

The way that role-players traditionally self-restricted was by playing role-playing games, versus playing strategy games, or FPS games, or sim games, or puzzle games.

The real question is if Shroud is really trying to be a role-playing game, or its not. And if its not, whether what its trying to be is really better and worth the change, or not worth it and the gameplay is less fun.

StrangerDiamond, Aeryk and Gorthyn like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Got a guildmate that loves using bludgeon. His reasoning is “i can keep stuff on the ground until they are dead”

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

As best described by this.

I like RP'ing... Im one of those fools that still says "hail and well met".

I've spent hundreds of hours in Upper Tears farming mobs... with no real reason or rational in game to do so. For all I know, the critters in there are just having a BBQ and I'm a bad guy running in there to kill them all and steeling their hot dogs.

discipleofweb and Barugon like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I hear if you spend enough time in Upper Tears, your eyes start to bleed :D

Elwyn, Jaesun and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  18. Milca

Milca Avatar

Why don't you play out a scenario of the perfect RP for PvP you have in mind, and tell me how anyone could implement RP in PvP?

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know about "perfect", but to help RP in PvP, the devs would create game mechanics that bake-in motives to PvP into the game. This may include -- roughly speaking, since this is just to give some basic ideas and not outline an "action plan" --

- Guilds being able to capture control points and use them to some purpose, or other defensive scenarios ("castle defense"), which would naturally bring guilds in conflict with each other
    - Factions and alliances with NPC groups in the game that could help guilds, but also set them against each other
    - A justice system that also included achievable bounties on other players

Right now PvP feels kind of pointless in the game, without any real motives except to "own" other players. You enter a PvP scene, and you're in an arena scenario where the only goal is to gank or be ganked, and anything you lose can be bought back with the ransom system.

But role-playing is really about things like motives, consequences, and so on; and because of that, it needs a foundation of game mechanics that help create these things. For any role-playing scenario, the game devs create the structure for players, the players then play within the structure. The play acting part of the conflict, saying trash-talk and and dramatic things with "thees" and "thous" is really the least necessary part of role-playing and is just sugar on top.

I believe the devs are working on some things that would help towards these ends; I'm certainly hoping this is the case, anyway.

@Stundorn is not talking about this exactly, and I don't always agree with everything he's saying, but I think his belief is likewise based on the idea that the basic structure of all the mechanics should incentivize role-playing, in all scenarios, including PvP, by providing players all the proper motives to role-play, instead of working against it.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Just by having a role.

In a real sandbox rpg, a new player miner might have trouble getting to the fabled mine because bandits know its the most densely populated. Then there is the role of mercenary for hire, which can come with a reputation... there is the role of scout... then in a more complex case the role of detective, forensic expert and I'm just scratching the surface. :p

It's funny because we've been trying to drive home this point with @redfish for years now, and it still seems completely alien and strange to even the most seasoned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.