Why Do I Fizzle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khalest, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't know. Have you tried a testosterone supplement?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Sorry, couldn't resist.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly, not an Ingame Term, more of an Internet Slang.

The 18% from your armor is just the armor pieces having that Fizzle Rate. Next you have the skill level that can helkp with Fizzle Rate. Running will also break concentration, meaning your fizzle rate will be even higher after.

Attunement is your proficiency in that specific School of magic (Fire, Water, Sun, etc...). The more proficient you are in that school, the more damage you will do.

4. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Your screenshoots say 24.4% fizzle chance when using discharge. This is the yellow number after "Fizzle chance:"
    The discharge spell adds 45% to your fizzle chance coming from your equipment. The is the red line: +45% Fizzle chance from equipment.
    You equipment add 18% to your fizzle chance. (adding all % Fizzle chance from equipment)

Each spell has a different fizzle chance (mostly the same within one tree), for discharge it is +45%. It means it is not as easy to cast discharge. Heal for example has -50% fizzle chance, it is more easy to cast even in "heavy armor".
    If you want to use discharge it is 18% + 45% or 18*1.45 = 26.1% fizzle chance. The same for heal with -50% fizzle chance: 18% - 50% or 18*0.5 = 9% fizzle chance. In your case.

As more your discharge skill is growing, as less is the base fizzle chance for discharge. At this point i do not know the math, but you end up at 24.4 fizzle chance.
    In the focus tree there is a skill that is reducing your base fizzle chance.
    Also a free hand reduces fizzle chance.
    Moving around will greatly increase fizzle chance

Roughly it is: base fizzle chance (focus tree) - free hand(s) + equipment + spell fizzle chance + movement.

Attunement is the sum of the highest 10 spells in one tree divided by 10. Plus attunemnt added by gems and/or enchantments. Attunement makes your spells stronger. But has nothing to do with fizzle chance.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that 45% IS NOT your fizzle to cast. your actual fizzle to cast is a little number in the lower corner of the glyph itself in your hotbar. THAT will change with your skill level and your equipment. this 45% in the description is a set number. it's like saying your car gets 45 miles per gallon. this is true even if your gas tank is empty and you can't go even one mile, your car is still technically a 45mpg car.

your fizzle to cast that spell, calculated on the fly and visible on your hotbar, should be 26.1 (fizzle from equipment for that spell) + 24.4 (fizzle from skill) = 50.5

that 24.4 will go down as you train the skill and/or the follow-through skill.

no, the 18 is the base value from equipment. the 26.1 is the value from equipment after using the multiplier for that spell. the 24.4 is his skill level.

right, one more step, add the 24.4 for his skill

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

So you are saying that his hotbar should show ~50% Fizzle chance? Is the 24.4% not affected by equipment at all (in the tooltip that is). I've never understood how the Fizzle chance math worked, you've answered some but raised some more questions!

7. Alley Oop

yes, it should be showing that much (unless he's raised it past level 8, which he probably has)

nope, that part has nothing to do with equipment.

if you just wanna know your actual fizzle chance, best bet is to look at the number on the toolbar. you CAN math it from the info in the skill description and adding up all your gear, but it's not worth the effort.

8. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

It's probably something that you ate.

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I actually like crunching numbers usually, and had never actually managed to make sense of the numbers, considering a piece showing +8% could have various effects on different spells. I think I clearly understand it now! Thank you a lot for this Alley!

Btw do you know what effect that has on wands, staves and orbs? Is it -10%•1.45=-14.50% or the opposite, actually reducing the benefit from a wand?

10. Alley Oop

i don't know for sure, but i THINK that discount would be applied to equipment fizzle before the multiplier. so if he was wearing that chain set with 18, -10 for the wand, it would be 8*1.45=11.6 for that spell, which compared to the 26.1 is a bigger discount than the flat 10 that shows on the wand. but wands are not my thing and i have not tested.

11. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

There is a fizzle reduction for having free hands - main hand and offhand if you are not holding a weapon and hover over that hand on the character sheet.

Air Magic also has the highest fizzle chance of all the magic schools - somewhat higher than death or fire magic.

12. Almar

Almar Avatar

'Follow Through' is what happens to me when I bump into a dragon on my own. :D

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's pretty simple, if you want to be a mage, wear cloth and if you want to be a tank, wear plate. If you want to be a fighter/mage, wear chain and have a wand in off hand. and socket for attunement in the type of magic you pick.

If you want to be masochistic, wear light armor :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.