We can have multiple characters per account!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Animosh, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The difference is every other game locks you into classes, so you need different characters to try everything. This game lets you do everything with the same character, making multiple characters unnecessary, but a welcome add-on

2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I have a second account for a second character. I don't play it, really, because there's no real point.

Stundorn and Bambino like this.
  3. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

All of the original ultima games, In which you are the Avatar. It was originaly one of the design premises that you werent playing some other character in another world, its you thats sucked into the world and Lord British wanted it to stay that way but most others wanted other
    slots for roleplay / to play different builds with different specializations. Also in episode 2 elf race and afaik new skill trees will come too. In short theres a few reasons to want them but not the same need as there is in other mmos

And no extra slots were only in for early backers who pledged a certain amount, after that you get 1 slot per account no matter what you pay.

Imo they should give a second slot out if you purchase any bundle, maybe more on large bundles , and also should give them out with access to episode 2 when you purchase that.

4. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Yes why? LMAO, Dont cast stones...when you live in a glass shroud...Look at mine & look at the size of yours...Downsize images much?

5. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

I agree 100% Anvar...

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Nope, never.

Khalest likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Khalest

What are you even on about... there aren't many mainstream game developers around who wouldn't publish with Steam, because Steam gives them a wide audience. Every major game is on Steam. :D

Anyway, its not about money.

The original plan was to not even offer a possibility to get a second character. Lord British felt what was great about his past games was that players were faced with ethical dilemmas and tried to make authentic choices, because it had some impact on their character to some end; and that with multiple characters, people wouldn't really have a motive to make authentic choices, because they could have one character be evil, and another character be good, and it would defeat the point.

I remember really early on in the game's development, we had discussions here on the forums on this, and everyone gave their different opinions on the subject. My view at the time was that I didn't think that the pragmatic reasons were important, because there were other ways to deter people's bad behavior in game, and that for multi-player there might be useful reasons for people to want to adopt multiple personas just for role-playing activities.

At any rate, LB eventually agreed to some compromises, which leaves us where we are today.

Still, I respected Lord British's view and thought it was a fair just for artistic reasons alone, and was surprised that he folded somewhat, because he seemed adamant on his original position. In some ways, I wish he didn't, because after that, he then seemed willing to compromise on so many other things and give in to a lot of player demands for tons of other things.

I don't like the micro-transaction model much; I wish a lot of things that you buy on the add-on store were baked into gameplay, rather than just acquired with clicks on a webpage, but still...

Ultimately, there's no reason any MMO has to give you a second character slot, its a bit of a vanity thing and not necessary to gameplay, and it seems a bit entitled to demand it. I mean, either you find the main game fun or not. That shouldn't be dependent on having a second character. And it sounds like you're satisfied enough with not having one, because you don't care enough to pay the $10. :D

Cut down on the coffee, man ;) Or cigarettes... I'll see you in game some time; I hope you are actually enjoying it.

Khalest and Vaiden Luro like this.
  8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I'm baffled by this specific criticism about charging for a second slot. The game is free to play for life after your initial purchase, there's no mandatory subscription, they fund the game via add on purchases, what's wrong with charging a modest 10 bucks for a second slot?

Personally I would only pay for a second slot if I wanted to play a character with a different alignment. My Avatar is a bit of a goody-goody crafter tank, I'd be tempted to fork out if I could make an evil thief pvp rogue, but the Avatar principles mean I would need a separate account for this and frankly that's expensive and a bit of a fiddle. I should probably have gotten a second account when it was heavily discounted.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

My main character is Bludgeon, however I wanted to play around with Spears, so I purchased a second character slot and now watch him rock everything. :D

10. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

My next character will be as ineffectual as my first character, just in a different way.

3devious and Stundorn like this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I allways only roleplay one character.

Barugon likes this.
  12. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

Thank you all for your input. I will pass it on to the team.

Barugon and calkano (PAX) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.