What's up with Ravensmoore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Well for all y'all's sake, I hope I'm never your Master Host... Playing on satellite connections from the Arctic Circle with 500-1000ms o_O

Nelzie, Sorthious, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I've been here since kickstarter and only vaguely was aware of this so no surprise. I've run successfully other Multiplayer games through steam or direct without issue. SOTA is the only one I've ever seen a network disconnect message come up now and then.

After all these years, I'm still learning more about how the game works. And I read a LOT :)

Nelzie, Sorthious, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I love how, at one point, they're showing a game that is not SotA. Great job guys.

Sorthious and Feeyo like this.
  4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I have a Gig+ connection so I am happy to host, if I am playing of course! :D

Feeyo and Brugas like this.
  5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

That's why it is a dumb way to build a game, as Quoted from my hubby who was a programmer ……

Vaiden Luro and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

As a steep cost saving measure for a very small MMO publisher in a niche that is already in a niche market, it's... still not technically the best, but it is cost effective in the long run.

Who knows? Maybe a wave of nostalgia will fly through the gaming 'verse and we will see tens upon tens of thousands of concurrent users with several hundred thousand accounts and they will lift and replace out the networking bit, putting it all on a big fat pipe somewhere.

Vaiden Luro and twofoldsilence like this.
  7. Nog

Nog Avatar

To add a thought to the scene master note related to hitching, I'd posted in another thread trying to get to the bottom of why I was experiencing such terrible performance (hitching) anytime I group in areas like Tears, kobold undercity, etc.

What is still mysterious for me is that I regularly experience the same unbearably awful performance when the master is someone who lives locally to me and has super-speed internet. (And my rig/internet is in the B+ range so that should not be the source of the performance problem.)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  8. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

A game called Warframe used a somewhat similar architecture, tried to pick the best host.. but sometimes failed.. and it was bad.. real bad, heh. And if the host got disconnected, logged, or just left, would have to sit through a host migration loading sequence (longer then a hitch).. SotA is a big step up from what they were using ;) Hardly have any issue regardless of mode, 0-2 hitches a night, and the only lag spikes turned out to be my internet fritzing out..

9. mass

mass Avatar

I always wondered if it were possible to screen for system specs/ping to assign a Master and only assign 'above threshold' systems as master. Of course when a single player with a 'below threshold' system enters a scene, they become default master; but when an above threshold player also enters the scene, a new instance should open, making them master, and a message should ask the below threshold player if they want to join the new instance.

10. Gix

Gix Avatar

In the period of 4 years, I've only experienced the p2p failure once:

... so I wouldn't lose my mind over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.