Hardcore (UOish) Mode possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Stundorn, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Okay, getting tired of seeing the same thing posted seventeen different ways on the forum.

This is a sandbox game. That means that players are not constrained by so many rules/classes/etc.

If someone wants to be great at PVP because they're young and can twitch, great...awesome. Go for it.
    If someone wants to be great at PVP because they spend hours/days/weeks/months leveling up their skills, great...awesome. Go for it.
    If someone wants to be great at PVP because they can craft the best armor/weapons/consumables, great...awesome. Go for it.

But to say "My way of being the best PVP'er is the ONLY way that should be allowed, so change the game to suit my needs" is the antithesis of what a sandbox game is.
    Why should Player A (who has a fast machine and great reflexes) beat Player B (who has spent a LOT of time leveling their skills) 100% of the time?
    Are you saying someone that spends a large amount of time actually improving their character should always lose to someone more quick with the keys, or someone that has a better PC or faster internet connection?

Sorry, because you play the game a certain way..that doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to play it the same way as you.
    There are PVP scenes that cap levels. Hang out there. That will give you the experience you're looking for. But please...PLEASE...stop asking for changes to the core design of the game, that will negatively impact other players.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Onyx, Olthadir and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  2. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@Rowell: There are players that have been negatively impacted by the system remaining the way it is. I guess they can burn for all you care?

Being able to level into any and every tree does not exclusively mean classless. And, constraining skills does not mean it's not classes. In fact, delegating an XP pool with a maximum threshold would take more due diligence.

PvP is PvP. Not, Pv 'Player that grind for hours on end.' Not, Pv 'thousands of resources and ridiculous RNG gear.'

There is ONE scene with a level cap that you have to literally beg or antagonize players to join.

3. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

The changing path is capping of scenes for PvP. That will allow people to catch up.

4. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

One scene is currently capped. According to Atos, Obsidian Trials will have 1 of 10, maybe 1 of 5 capped matches. There is currently no announcement for any new capped scenes. As I said above, it's near impossible to find a random player in Opalis Ruins. Open PvP is where all the fun is at. The anchor remains.

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

If in-game skills don't matter (since that seems to be the central argument: "You play so much your skills are higher than mine"), and equipment doesn't matter... here's my suggestion to re-vamp PVP:

When people engage in PVP, ALL their skills are automatically set to 40, and they are stripped of ALL gear, and given a rusty weapon of the type they were holding for the duration of combat.
    No one will have an advantage due to skill levels. No one will have an advantage due to equipment. It's all about skill.
    Heck, if you really want to make it about skill, drop all skill levels down to 20 and have at it.

Sounds silly, right? About as silly as saying that someone investing time into their character skills should be capped so others have an easier go at them. I'm sorry, I don't understand the need to steal away what others have legitimately earned in-game, simply to assuage the feelings of others that apparently have not/cannot invest the same sort of time playing the game and earning xp for their characters' skills. Back in my day, when someone beat us due to having higher levels, we just went out and leveled up... or got a bunch of friends to put the beat down on them. We never said "He's too high level, take away his levels so we have a fair chance of beating them".

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  6. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Simply capping skills is a mere band-aid in addressing the core issue.

Yah, silly as in you made no sense at all. Back in what day? If you are talking about UO. You didn't get serious about PvP until you fleshed out your avatar. Get all that XP stuff taken care of then jump into battle. If you meant back in the day, as in SotA. Hell yah, PvP was awesome. We had skill caps. Didn't have to level down every tree. The RNG on armor wasn't ridiculous. Stacking actually gave benefit over charging. PvP was actually PvP. Now it's just like you said - "Oh jeeze, I lost a fight, time to grind up more XP to get better at PvP." If anything, this is laughable. Leveling skills beyond 100 dramatically multiplies the amount of XP required per level. Maybe you like mindlessly killing monsters, but some people actually like to PvP.

blaquerogue likes this.
  7. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I guess you keep missing my point (or are ignoring it).

Why does YOUR version of PVP have to be the ONLY version of PVP?

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Thats exactly what hes saying, 7 skill trees capped. As far as i understand he doesnt mean 100 cap in one skil in a tree with many skills.

Arradin likes this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Its just another option with all the other options. If your tired of seeing this over and over heres an option for you dont read or post in the thread! Move to another thread instead and totally skip over it, heres another option block him so you dont see it. Many many options in this game, no reason there cannot be another in the game.

Bambino likes this.
  10. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@Rowell: If you have a point, feel free to make it.

PvP is player versus player. I cannot change that. It's what it has been, and will be for years to come.

Being able to button mash and drag your head all over a keyboard while killing monsters for egregious amounts of time is not PvP. Being able to swing a pickaxe, chop trees, and gather cotton for more hours than a regular person can put in on a working day before flushing them through a ridiculous RNG gear system is not PvP. Feel free to explain how or why it is.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Basically, my point is this (and always has been):

You play your game your way.
    I'll play my game my way.
    The moment you act to change my game play to suit your game play is the moment there's trouble.

Was that simple enough for you to understand?
    You're advocating for changes in the game that negate/nullify other player's game play; you're advocating for taking away what other players have legitimately EARNED in game (be it XP, skill levels, items, etc).
    That is simply wrong. Period.

Got it now?

12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

13. Katu

Katu Avatar

Other mode, next to offline, sp, multi. That has different rule set and characters.

No need to go mental. You can easily skip this thread..

Gorthyn, Bambino and blaquerogue like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Exactly as katu says its just another mode which will not effect others, if it does effect you, then that means all the other players that left your mode, are now in a mode they like better, and are playing thier game the way they want.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Gorthyn and Katu like this.
  15. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

The trouble is already here. I've been advocating against the infinite level system and will continue to do so.

Sign me up for UOish mode (Hardcore Mode):
    -No private instances
    -No Trammel
    -Every scene is PvP
    -Full Loot
    -Skill/Adv cap
    -Thieves can steal from anyone (even in guard zone)
    -Guards function UO style
    -Crafting similar to UO (No crazy RNG)

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Why would I skip this thread when it could directly impact my game play?

Why shouldn't I be able to play in full multi-mode without worrying about.... Ya know what, I'm not going to drop to your level. I've made it abundantly clear that player's shouldn't have what they've earned gimped simply to appease people that don't want to put in the time/effort/energy to match their investment.

You put caps on the number of 100-140+ skills, you affect EVERYONE, not just PVPers.

17. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

If you want UO...go to UO.
    SOTA is not UO.

18. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

As an Ultima spiritual successor with 98% emphasis on multi-player. I'd say that this game we heavily based on UO. What we have here is Trammel on steroids.

Katu and blaquerogue like this.
  19. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Keep thinking that. This has been explained over and over. Many PvP & PvE formulas already work differently. In the case of settling for mere skill caps, It does not have to work per scene, but for PvP in general. As soon as you flag PvP for whatever reason, those formulas could apply to you and not impact your monster killing sessions while in the same scene.

blaquerogue likes this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

If it was an option to itself it would not effect you, i dont understand how it will effect you if its an option you can pick from, the only effect i could factually see is that, people will move to that mode instead of yours! If that effects you then in essence YOU want people to play your game and not have a choice.

Katu and Bambino like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.