Company changing things around...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Koss, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koss

Koss Avatar

2. Derium

Derium Avatar

Elder Scrolls Online was able to go from disaster to an amazing game. It's possible, it just takes a lot of dedication.

3. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

All the turned-around stories come from major companies with huge backing (FFXIV, ESO, etc.), or huge initial sales (like NMS quoted in the OP). It takes money and dedication to do this successfully. A lot of it.

Take a game like Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a good comparison for SOTA in a lot of ways. 95k peak the first month (first three days really). Then 40. Then 11. Now ~5k a day (on the weekends). This is a studio that launched a SUPER buggy game with progress-destroying bugs that corrupted saves, and MANY completely broken quests that ruined the play through and forced the player to start over. An incredible game launched incredibly broken, struggling to stay relevant while adding more.

The turnaround of these kinds of games are very, very rare. They almost never happen to non-AAA-backed entities.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Final Fantasy XIV

To fix reputation they need to do things all their actual Supporters will hate.
    They will loose 500 and maybe get 5000.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

UO started out a disaster and was turned around.

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

No man sky still has serious performance issue. People have been reporting that they lost hours of progress due to the new way the dev use to generate the universe. There seems to be a fix for PC folks while the consoles are sol at the moment.

Nonetheless, I admire that the dev still keeps working on the game and hope that all promises will be delivered.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  7. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

...and sales of many different special editions of Skyrim. (It's a joke?)

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Derium like this.
  8. Koss

Koss Avatar

???

I wouldn't call it a disaster...

How many other games were avail at the time? Runescape?

It is the point I am trying to make... I could give two ****'* about which game it is.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Brewton like this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I was a beta tester of UO and started it on day one. There were times it took me 5 minutes to take a step in the game (with one of the best modem connections in existence to the point when UO got fixed, I was killing people off before they even saw me on the screen). Oh man, remember the ruber banding until that was fixed? How about the dup bugs in zone perimeters? The first 6 months of UO, forums like this were full of people quitting basically because PK's were purposely going after "noobs" (ha, where that name first came from), killed them, scammed them (bank fun). Like here, I did the same thing, I begged people to leave new players alone or we wouldn't have a game. How about the vendor bug where you cold lay something over another thing and it showed 10 gold but took 1000 from you from the item at the bottom? What about the problems with the support making money off of it? People were quitting the game left and right. Felecia was born and then the game exponentially got better for most players as they could take a few steps out of town without being utter decimated. These new players would start, get killed, have everything taken and not even know how to get new gear, walking around naked unable to do anything getting killed by a rabbit.... bam.. quit.

I quit UO when I took my $1000 house, waited hidden for 3 hours watching until 3 AM at night to drop it and put up a new house. I dropped the house and a new one popped up in a mil-second and took the spot when I had myself been able to place it in 1 sec flat? I sat there hidden and 10 minutes later some GM popped up and entered the house. This was about 3 years after release.

We all have fond memories of UO, but thats what was really going on :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Glad to see No Man's Sky on the rise. It has quite a few 'fun factor' elements to it.

11. Koss

Koss Avatar

I was there in day one also...

'I quit UO when I took my $1000 house'

Huh?

12. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Feluccis, Trammel - for me it was the day my game had loved got destroyed. And i was not even a PK.

All the danger, the thrill got killed.

It is like removing the Clown from the movie IT.
    And wondering why some complain that the story lost its soul.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank EA for trammel. That made UO the best mmo out there. Changes in new expansion packs created memorable adventures like dungeon doom, new lands like Tokuno, and
    High seas. Loved every minute of it and I still play UO (the real one by EA) to this day.

14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

UO wasn’t a disaster. Not unless you call a game being more popular than anticipated a disaster. The main issue was the technology at the time couldn’t handle the popularity of playerbase. The thing with UO was that there wasn’t much else on the market like it to compete with it, so they had heaps of time to patch all the bugs and keep working on developing it as the technology and internet connections improved to finally complete the vision of DarkStarr and LB. if the game wasn’t so cutting edge they wouldn’t of had players stick around as everyone would of jumped ship to another MMO. The reason the players stuck at it through all of UOs teething problems is that there just wasn’t anything else comparable to UO to play. Today of course with the amount of choice players have with MMOs a successful launch is much more important

15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Different interest. We would never agree.

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I agree with your statement.

Myrcello and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.