1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud's Status, Criticism, Healthy Debate, & the Future

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sypher001

sypher001 Avatar

Agreed, so far i am still enjoying the game as is, once i got over my assertions i had at the beginning! i dig it

Witcheypoo likes this.
  2. sypher001

sypher001 Avatar

thank you Rada, much appreciated! Glad to be here

3. sypher001

sypher001 Avatar

How you can enable console mode:

Step 1. Go into your system menu > controls > set your "Toggle Cursor" to whatever key you wish, i HIGHLY suggest setting it to "Tab" key.
    Step 2. You may want to change your "interact" key to something like "E" or "F" i personally like "F" because for my hotbar i change 5, 6, 7 to Q, E, R respectively as easier to reach with left hand.
    Step 3. Save and exit out

Using tab will switch from cursor mode to console mode... allows you to just move and lock your camera without holding the right mouse button.... also changes the cursor for interaction to a better icon (a colored gear icon instead of arrow), and you can just point your guy/camera at something and hit "E" or "F" (whatever you set your interact key).... once you get to use to its SOOOO much easier and more responsive than cursor mode.

Enjoy!

Witcheypoo likes this.
  4. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

does it matter if he works directly for port or not??? I don't think it does. his points are valid. port has to deal with many different peoples "ideas" for whats "best" for the game and news flash, they don't all agree with each other on whats "best" for the game. All you have to do is go the the forums and see the various discussions on topics to see the disagreements. In the end port has its own idea of what they want out of the game and while they can and do listen to feedback from the community and while many times that feedback may influence their decision, in the end that decision is theirs to make and what ever choice they make not everyone will agree with it.

5. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    In my humble opinion this is what I'd like to see.

1. Pause all development on episode 2. (or most at least)
    2. Focus on bugs in episode 1
    3. Consider a stretch goal of a specific bug fix / feature.
    3. Fulfill promises from ep1. like the promise to come back to fishing etc. Not just fishing.
    Fixing old stuff if you can of course is far more important than a release every single month on the day. (an admirable feat mind you)
    4. Double exp is going to have to be a higher stretch goal like 90k or most folks will stop at 35k. You'll see.
    5. Make gold / silver scrap obtainable and useful, or remove it from the game.
    6. Stop trying to add new cool features when the basic ones aren't functioning. Throw everything you have (resources / time) at questing,
    new player exp, everything that will help retain exp. More folks who stay around spend more money in the addon store.

7. Lower your prices on the store. You're much more likely to sell 15 $2 heraldry items than you are 1 $15 heraldry item.
    Houses should not be $119 for a row house, common. The whole list of addons needs a looking at, adjustment.
    This will translate into many more sales.
    8. The folks that care about town setup, already have towns. Focus on things mid range / new players might find interesting during live streams.
    9. Bring back the drinking (moderate of course) during telethons. People drink with you, people who drink have fun and love your antics, their
    loose purse strings reflect this. This will help make your telethons fun again. Your costumes were amazing to, make it about community etc.
    This might even have the added effect of boosted morale. Perhaps since the live-streams are weekly now, maybe only drink during the first or last one
    of the month?

That being said, despite the flaws this is still my favorite game, and the game I've played the most all gold. I hope to see it continue to "breathe".

Witcheypoo, Feeyo, Brewton and 12 others like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

1.) stopping development on Episode 2 would be a disaster
    2.) ship has kind of sailed on episode 1, but you need to fix the bugs anyway for new players.
    3.) We should not be paying them to fix bugs. Wrong !
    3.) Fishing improvements are coming in next 2 releases. Right ?
    4.) I don't think people will shell out for double xp. When you have so many telethons and a small user base, you're running into fatigue.
    5.) Agreed
    6.) I think this will stop with the refocus.
    7.) We can't change prices on housing now and devalue and destablize the entire existing housing infrastructure and value. But new items should be cheaper, perhaps.
    8.) That's not necessarily true. There are already 38 new town owners for Ep 2.
    9.) I don't really think promoting drinking is a good idea at work in general. After work, sure.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

7) I railed about this for years. I've seen this in a few games. I also think its SOTA's true #1 problem. Why sell 10 items at $100 ($1000) when you can sell 10000 at $1 ($10,000). Biggest mistake they made is pricing on add on store stuff. $20 for a 10' tall deco statue....

Brugas, Xandra7, Gaelis and 5 others like this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I was threatened when I brought it up very early on... I was told Dallas was in charge and he is a veteran with alot of experience and I should not question his judgement. All my feedback on the add on store, regardless of the issue, were censored.

I can only speak for myself but I would have bought much more during the process, I made a fictional design and to realize my vision I needed over 1000$ of stuff... finally I bought a flute and some COTOS for a total of 15$.

Brewton, Brugas and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  9. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I love this game. I have been playing MMO's since UO which I played solidly for 8 years. I currently play ESO, SotA, And FFXIV. Clearly my hours played tells where my focus is I am at 3000 hours in SotA, 372 in ESO, and 229 in FFXIV. I think scope was a bit too big. Nova is a huge world and a large under taking for such a small team. I think the team has done an amazing job with what they have but I wish more effort would of been put in to using Hidden Vale as the focus until all systems we fully functional. A high quality smaller game space that was super polished would of brought people into the game. I think of games like Path of Exile and Warframe as perfect examples. If you played either of those games (free to play btw) early on they both were rough around the edges and not that great of an experience. Both developers did a good job of saying that this is only the beginning and had a road map to were they wanted to go. Player bases were small in the start but once they fully put their systems in both games have exploded and people send tons of money on micro transactions for cosmetic items and some items of convenience.

I will continue to support this game because it offers more depth then any multi player game out there. I am running out of things to purchase on the add on store. Apart from fixing bugs and trying to make it easier for new players to get into the game there needs to be more cosmetics added on the add on store in terms of outfit and weapon patterns

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

In the realm of the average player, who works like 50-80 hours a week, be able to play and compare all these games against other games. I have trouble playing just an hour a night! What kind of jobs lets people play so many hours a day and make a paycheck. I want to know because I am doing something wrong lol.

11. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

in reply to Ravicus: Maybe it is called Retirement? Bet a lot of folks here are retired and have that kind of time to play :)) Or are still in school, and spend their spare time playing …. or or or ….. who cares? :rolleyes::);)

12. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@Kaffien: Well said, I just wish more players were on the same page. I personally find it absurdly ridiculous for them not to be. There must be a huge comeback, massive game-play/system changes, and an epic turn-around. IMO, the current direction is not going to get us where we need to be.

13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Not to derail the thread, but I want to answer you, my friend, from my point of view.

Mind you, it's just my personal, very arguable opinion and lifetime experience, and most likely it's due to the fact I'm on (what I consider being) the right side of the pond.

IMHO you're "doing wrong" the idea that 50-80 hours are average. IMHO, nobody should work those hours to have a decent, family sustaining pay and place in society. If the normality is that much over the euro-commie standard of 40 hrs/wk, then that is the something that's wrong. And it's not your fault, but your society's and that normality.

Asbestos donned, I'm ready for the flames.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Just to clarify: When I said average it was pointing to being an average gamer, not an average worker in RL :)

15. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Lol I work in education so I have Summer's off

Chatele, Jaesun, Brugas and 2 others like this.
  16. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Doesn't take long to download something and try it out. You can try out plenty of games over the course of a year to have a healthy understanding of whats currently out there in the genres you like. How you spend your off time is up to you. Some have more time or don't need to sleep much... some don't or really enjoy the extra sleeping time :) Gamers tend to find time to "game" though.

And 50-80 hour work weeks are way over normal, lol. I can understand some salary jobs requiring you to stay over more than the typical work week, but 60-80 is like doing 2 weeks worth of work in one. It'd be very hard for that person to have some life outside of work, but I'm sure they'd enjoy it at least after all that.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

Bring back drinking in telethons!

18. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

YES!!! But no more Macallan please!! Some of that peated stuff is waaaaaay better like Ardbeg or Caol Ila... ;)

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That is completely unacceptable, The Macallan is clearly the best scotch made!!!! (thats my drink :) )

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Whether it's Macallan or malt liquor.. just bring back the drinking!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.