Please make Dash and Sprint usable on the overworld

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Silly place.

Jaesun likes this.
  2. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Pfft . It's just a model..

3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Off path movement should be the same as on path movement IMO. And don't even think about making mounts unable to travel off path, that would be super annoying as well. Other games have tried and it certainly wasn't a hit.

FrostII, Gamician and Colgarra like this.
  4. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Agreed 100%. You can go into any instance and you do not get slowed down if you leave the path unless, there is quick sand or some barrier that is made for that purpose. Moving though the woods in any other instance does not slow you down. Another issue on the overland map as I understand it is that you move much faster in light armor than in heavy armor. So the idea is we should have a separate deck with light armor on it so you can move like a jack rabbit on the overland map? So if you think the speed is just great on the overland map yet use light armor, switch and try it with heavy armor and then tell us how great it is. Anything that wastes a persons time in getting from one place to another,, to join your friends in battle or getting to vendors , even if it is only a few seconds yet happens 20 times a night needs to change. So either change the speed on the overland map to one speed for all and anywhere on that map or change it in every instance, so that you can have more players quit out of boredom.

Lockey2, FrostII and jammaplaya like this.
  5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Avataar's look out of place on the overworld map. I think it should be for carriages, ships and airships.

You run around in scenes and overworld map left to be semi automated? (locally, not through choke points)

jammaplaya likes this.
  6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Yes exactly, great point. We already have waits when we are sitting on load screens, so maybe all other time sinks should be minimized.

FrostII likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

+1 and thank you @Gamician
    I agree 100%.....
    Time to move on from all these BORING wait times.... I'm so sick of waiting for scenes to load and then moving slowly on the overworld ... Stop making us spend so much time waiting before we can get to something actually interesting to do.

Lockey2 likes this.
  8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Here we go again, I just don't get it. There are so many threads on overworld speed, the point of the overworld, people's time being wasted.. You can take a pot of Wolf Speed, or not, leave Britanny run to Etceter, ferry over to Xenos, ferry to Aerie (ferry transitions are near instantaneous) and run up to Westend in 2 minutes or less.

This is over half the length of the continent, the southern island and up over half the west coast of the continent in the time it takes a kettle to boil, or less. What is the real issue here!? What do people want?

9. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

No, its crazy fast as it is already.

But what really should happen is being able to Bind to more than one lot so you can teleport / Recall around the map without relying on people being online and at the location you want to go.

Mishikal likes this.
  10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

It would seem that Port may have to make that concession. They probably want people to use the OverWorld, as they intend to build more entertaining instances on it, but forcing people to use it doesn't seem to work, and until they get more fun loaded onto the map maybe they should concede and do something like ESO, but make the cities the teleport locations once discovered?

I don't know if providing a way to totally bypass the overword map is a disaster to Port's plans for the overworld longer term, but I think Port really need to chirp in on the issue and say what these plans are as these threads are constantly recycling the same issues, so there is clearly a theme and a point of irritation for some players that needs to be acknowledged.

Given they have installed teleportation to 'friends' and have *rifts (*which hardly anyone uses as folks, including me, don't have the interest or patience to work out the timings of the rift network locations) it can't surely be a disaster to have fixed teleport locations @Portalarium?

Some other random thoughts on the overworld -

• People could find it easier to use if they printed a world map or have the world map open in a window (and use alt-tab to view their possible routes) as folks get lost or miss out on how easy it is to get around by indirect routes using ferries or map-hopping using friends lists then onward from there. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/index.php?map_id=1
    • Using potion of wolf speed has an incredible effect on the world map and avoids 90% of mob pulls even if you run through them directly (but not all!)
    • The pulls from Mobs on the overworld need some serious work. its so frustrating getting drawn into an instance when you don't want to enter one and where the range and direction of pulls seems random.
    • Some routes from Brittany, such as north east into Drachvald, south into the Perennial Coast and west into South Paladis require you to run through Passes and Gaps to gain access, so if you can't find a friend to teleport there, these Passes will take time and definitely can be frustrating. If you're a new player they can be lethal. On the other hand Quel, Elysium, the west coast, Norgard and North Paladis are accessible from Brittany without touching a Pass. A few more selective ferries, for example, a ferry from Brittany to Ardoris, may help?
    • What about Portalarium issuing a simple map of the available underworld routes as part of their online map system? Some of these routes are dangerous, some are not at all, so this map would ideally include an indication of difficulty level. Accessing landlocked places like South Paladis, where you have to use Passes and Gaps or bypassing pvp zones to complete quests under utilises the underworld as info on these routes seems to be lacking.

discipleofweb likes this.
  11. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Glad to hear that control points and seiges will soon be able to be bypassed. A solid increase to movement speed on the world map for all players (ie without the need for micromanagement) would be the cherry on top IMO.

discipleofweb, Woodchuck and FrostII like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Did they say that during the livestream?

13. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Apparently it's coming in next release

FrostII and Jaesun like this.
  14. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Plenty of fleet flutes for sale on many vendors all over the place... go make some gold and buy one so you can fast travel =). Or get lucky and get one in a drop. Overland travel is plenty fast...!

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I already have one. ;)

discipleofweb likes this.
  16. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

You can't even eat food on the overworld. This kills me. Why?!

Barugon and FrostII like this.
  17. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Honestly, I would rather have a runebook with different locations marked and just teleport there. For those of you that like running on the overworld please do so. For the rest of us that find it tedious and boring let us have a runebook or some equivalent teleport book that will let us mark locations in it and we could then just charge it with teleport scrolls and teleport to the location we want. I get it that some folks enjoy running on the overworld and are ok with it as it is. But, why should the rest of us that dislike it have to do it because of a few people who feel any changes would spoil their "Immersion" {UGH}. They are ok with it spoiling ours and we are just supposed to suck it up? Really? This issue has been a bone of contention for a long time, and I do mean a LONG TIME. There are a lot of folks that don't like running on the overworld but it seems we are being punished because some peeps want it. Why can't we just have both options? It would end this nauseating discussion once and for all, not to mention the negativity. Having both options would put an end to it. Heck Port could just sell those of us that would rather a teleport book in the store and on Obsidian Vendors and profit by it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    FrostII and Mishikal like this.
  18. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

@Lockey2 You are correct. Rune books have been a bone of contention for a LONG time. But for just as long Richard Garriott has been completely against it. He was against it in UO as well but this time it is "his" game. Not going to happen as has been said every single time they respond to the request.

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

[​IMG]

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

A lot has happened in the last 5 years, and some of those things have caused our population to drop precipitously .
    Some of the most egregious involve waiting for scenes to load and having to "run ?" on the overworld.
    Richard might not be a fan of making "instant travel" even easier by having runebooks, but he might want to reconsider this topic.
    How many times must I look at the same boring overworld, day after day after day.
    It's interesting the first few dozen times, but the next 10,000 are b o r i n g .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.