Performance Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Money Mike, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Correct - as I said earlier in the thread no hitching problems here :)

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So I made a .BAT file and ran the following as an Administrator:

Code:
    @echo  off

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d 10000 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaittoKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d 25000 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers" /v "TDRDelay" /t REG_DWORD /d 8 /f

net stop Server
    net start Server

@echo off

Script ran successfully. I then verified these settings were in the registry, and they were. I then rebooted.

Ran SotA, used my Open Multiplayer setting (I always mostly play in Open) then selected Mace Dude™ and ran off to East Vauban Foothills.

This literally did nothing for the hitching at all. Combat was still hitch central.

These are the only changes I did. I have 0 clue on how to effect the GPU with an Nvidia card though.

I may however grab Spear Dude™, Go into Solo Mode, and also run off to East Vauban Foothills and see if anything changes (I doubt it will).

Hmmm I *think* he can go in there now and not die horribly.... Well, we are going to find out... ;)

3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

So I just did a test with a full SOTA in ramdisk, and guess what?
    hitching.....

Elwyn, Woodchuck, Sorthious and 3 others like this.
  4. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Oh well, worth a shot !

Woodchuck, Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

name just one game.. one with the complexity of SOTA and its volume of placibles.

200,000 items? Walk into any major guild Pot...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2018
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Of note, in the livestream, they aren’t having any hitching....

I did try Spear Dude in Private Mode, the hitching is still present for me. Though it isn’t that bad actually.

But I have to go to work now. :(

Woodchuck, Feeyo and Brugas like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks @Feeyo, I'll give this a try.

[edit] Yeah, this doesn't help the hitching issue.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Woodchuck, Feeyo and Jaesun like this.
  8. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Sure, Elder Scrolls Online.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2018
    Hornpipe likes this.
  9. Manxis

Manxis Guest

Well, the answer to RAM drives and hard drive speed is very simple. SSD. and I have a 1 TB SSD C drive. I'll look at knocking the game I have in there now off and putting SOTA on there. But the fact that we even have to have any discussion about running the game from 32 Gb ram drives to get around performance issues in a game so heavily instanced, well that's the real issue.

Woodchuck likes this.
  10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I run SotA on a SSD. It does not make any difference, yes the loading of the game and scene is a bit faster but thats it..

Woodchuck, Sorthious, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same.

Woodchuck likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

I was playing Friday night for several hours with zero hitching or perf problems. It's weird, it comes and goes. I did restart my computer.

Woodchuck likes this.
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Actually they did have some hitching when they were playing in The Rise with the stream. BUT it was pretty minimal and I would totally not complain if that was my experience when playing.
    So to make another extra note, on windows its a lot better then on GNU/Linux. On GNU/Linux it is almost pretty unplayable...
    I want to stress this so much to the devs. Hopefully the Unity upgrade for the next release will fix this..

14. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

They obviously figured out what the issue is, as QA Patch 724(I think that was the number), had no hitching for me at all. Then the release came out and the hitching was unchanged from r55. Anyone who tested on QA knows what I'm talking about. There may have been remnants of hitching on QA but it was unnoticable to me. I want to know why it doesn't work on the Live version; what is different about Live and QA, is it because QA had few people on it? I posted a bug about it but was essentially told "It should be better, but not 100% reduction of hitching," which isn't really even acknowledging that that there is still an issue. In addition, there was absolutely no improvement for me on Live, only on QA. If anything, hitching got worse.

Disappointing release: Hitching unchanged

Woodchuck and Feeyo like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I sure do. QA was smooth as butter for me. The other thing about the hitching is that it also didn't start until R54. SotA was pretty smooth for me before that as well.

16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

QA was also smooth as butter for me!

Sorthious, Barugon and Woodchuck like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Good try, a friend of mine just told me that on some systems, you'd need to change this value in 2-3 concurrent spots for the OS to really apply it, a search might help.. but then again if its windows 10 they have a tendancy to hide those and you need to add them manually, its a pain...

For the Nvidia, maybe MSI afterburner would work ? RivaTuner statistics should have those options (the options you get with it depends on the card itself tho, MSI and Riva usually come bundled)

Barugon, Woodchuck and Jaesun like this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

nope, not even remotely close in any possible way.

Brugas, Jaesun and Scanphor like this.
  19. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

This - ESO - LOL :)

Feeyo likes this.
  20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

There's a video setting that's named something like reflection quality (not at home right now) which will have those edges unless you set it to High. I find it helps with contrast, so I leave it on Medium.

I have heard that one of the reasons for hitching is shader compilation. Whatever it is seems to come back as they keep going up in Unity revisions. Perhaps previous optimizations break as they go through Unity revisions. They expect to be caught up to the current version next month, or maybe one more month. But R56 has a different feel to hitching, now it happens much sooner after starting the game, and it seems to be a lot more little hitching, but more than once I have had bad hitching that repeats every few seconds. The main thing is to not leave the game at the login screen overnight, to ensure it gets restarted. If you are about to do something big that you will be playing for a couple of hours, it is a good idea to fully quit the game and give it a fresh start.

This is probably also why people don't notice as much hitching the first few days after a patch. They are restarting the game often enough to reset hitching when there are daily patches.

The system I usually use is an i5 2400 / GT 1030 2GB / 24GB RAM (ran fine with 12GB), and it runs fine aside from hitching if you don't care about 1080p/60 in towns (I usually get 20-30fps in towns unless it's a dance party or other big event).

I've had plenty of hitching when I'm the only person in the scene.

The one thing I do know from when I had the CPU usage graph up is that hitching causes one core to peg to 100%, while all the others hit 0%. So whatever it is blocks a lot of stuff. This is why my gut feeling had always been garbage collection, but others seem to think it's something else. If it *is* garbage collection, then things should get less bad as memory leaks are stomped out.

Jaesun and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.