Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Feedback] Crafting

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by sartanscorps, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sartanscorps

sartanscorps Avatar

First off I would like to say, I like the direction you are taking crafting. I like the research and experimentation aspect of the recipes vs training/buying recipes of other games. A couple of problems I see at the moment.

First is once I've discovered a recipe I would like it noted down in a character specific crafting log/index/journal. I found myself starting a spreadsheet and tabbing in and out of the game to look up items was breaking immersion and annoying. Since the books in the game are "readable". I would like the ability to create an indexed "cookbook" for each crafting profession. I would also like to have the ability to have the books have authorized users. guild permission etc. You wouldn't want to give away trade secrets. Also, as I'm sure its blasphemy to post on a gaming site, I have a life and have interruptions to my gaming on a regular basis. With the crafting books it would be easier to get back into the game after life interrupts.

Second is not being able to make multiples of recipes. i.e. Smelting raw ore. Making single recipes is fine when you are experimenting, but at some point you are going to want to go into production mode. Dragging a chunk of iron and coal on to the table 1 at a time will drive me/others insane and waste what gaming time I have.

I have no idea if you already have something like this planned and it isn't ready yet or if you have some thing different in mind. This is purely based off my experiences in release 2.

Hazard likes this.
  2. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

They have that book. Just press R ;)

3. Tronk

Tronk Avatar

I feel that once you have a recipe, you should be able to click or drag that recipe onto the table and it pulls those ingredients from your bag. If there are missing ingredients, it would tell you in a message.

knightnuada, tjw, Kirthag and 17 others like this.
  4. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Agreed, I made that same suggestion in another thread ;)

5. LikeAfox2

LikeAfox2 Avatar

My concern is that you have only make 1 iron ingot at a time... Shift drag the coal and ore for each ingot... after making 10 my hand began to feel tight.

Ned888, Kirthag, Balrog and 3 others like this.
  6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

when I was in the crafting pavilion, I typed "r" and a book came up. It had the one thing I had learned how to make (boards) in it.

7. Neria

Neria Avatar

What is a Cubic Measure?

8. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I dig it so far. I like the crafting animation.

I fully agree with and support the idea above of being able to drag a recipe onto the crafting table. And/Or, at least be able to choose how many times you want to craft a certain recipe and be able to put the appropriate resources to produce the desired amount on the table. The 1 at a time production grind is way too taxing on time. (At least the raw resource refinement part of it)

My other suggestions:

Add a Ctrl-Click feature to the current Ctrl-Drag system. Where you can Ctrl-Click a stack multiple times, adding +1 item to the stack attached to your cursor.
    So if you want to select 3 of a resource from a stack, you would Ctrl-Click the stack 3 times.

Make the default number of resources selected blank when you Shift-Click a Stack.
    This would spare the player the time of hitting backspace once or twice before being able to input an amount. (Gets annoying)

The recipe book you have when pressing r is a Great feature. I'm sure it's not finalized but it would be cool if recipes were sorted not only by craft but by branches within the craft tree.

9. LikeAfox2

LikeAfox2 Avatar

You use that on the "Milling Table" to cut boards and such.

10. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

It's "Cubit Measure," referring to an archaic unit of measurement, the Cubit...

It's pretty much an ancient ruler/yardstick for measuring things at regular intervals.

Maka likes this.
  11. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

I haven't been able to use crafting yet, even looking at the link to the recipes, I put everything needed on the table, try to click 'craft' but nothing happens.

12. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

Make sure you are putting the exact number of items on the table. Holding "Shift" while you click and drag materials lets you pick the number you take. Holding "CTRL" while click and dragging materials takes 1 of them at a time. Also, make sure you're at the right crafting table. I spent a good while trying and failing to make a chair, not realizing that I was still standing at the milling table when I should have been over at the carpentry bench :rolleyes:

Fireangel and TheMadHermit like this.
  13. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

Don't feel bad, I spent over an hour trying to craft anything with no success. I have no idea how to get the system to work.

14. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

There are only two "logs" in my chest....do you have to go out in the woods and chop more?

15. Lord Melvek

Lord Melvek Avatar

The whole discovery process with the crafting tables is awesome, I love it! And I agree that once you discovered a recipe, you should be able to just drag the recipe on the table to be able to go in production mode.

I also suggest the following ideas:
    1. to link the recipe book with the crafting table.
    2. when you open a crafting table, you should see all your recipe available for that specific table.
    3. If you have the mats, the recipe should be highlight.
    4. You double click the recipe or drag it on the table to use.
    5. You can insert the number of crafting items you want for that specific recipe.
    6. Crafting multiple items go in loop mode so doing 100 ingots could take 10 minutes.
    7. You can stop the process anytime by escape.

MilConDoin, Fireangel, Hazard and 3 others like this.
  16. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

A lot of people including me are getting confused with the new addition of stackable inventory, esp since the stack looks exactly like a single item.

For those having trouble crafting roll over the item and make sure you don't have multiple items on the table. Crafting takes the EXACT amount placed. You know you have it right when the crafting button lights up.

17. LadyM

LadyM Avatar

You're not alone. I was looking forward to try out crafting on the first day of R2, but I had to leave without having figured out how to make anything. After searching the forum and SotA wiki-recipes the following day, I got a clue and could start crafting. I just wish there was some kind of help message in game saying for example; "You don't have the right amount", or "right material or tools". At first, I didn't know if I was supposed to use one or two tools; the scissors and the loom shuttle when tailoring, or keep the tools in my bag. And then on the other hand, to make Spool of Thread you aren't supposed to put any tool on the crafting table! There's just too many variables to have to try each and every possible combination blindly without guidelines. These hints could of course be optional and turned off if you don't want any help. Or maybe NPC Handac could be so kind and offer insight on how to start crafting if you ask him? As much as I don't like too much chat clobbering up my screen, I also don't like having to tab out, leave the game and go look stuff up elsewhere just to get started. I also found it confusing that the recipe book is empty. Maybe it could state that; "You haven't discovered any recipes yet".... I just try to look at it from a new players eyes that hasn't watched the videos or read up about it on the net.

Fireangel likes this.
  18. monxter

monxter Avatar

There will definitely be a better intro to crafting later on, B was already talking about it.

Kirthag and LadyM like this.
  19. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think the number of the item should appear under the stack, if it's a stack, even while it's on the crafting table.

I also think you should be able to have more than the required amount of something on the table,
    for recipes that differ only in number of items, the game would have to let you select which item you want to craft based on your known recipes log.

ex: Pretend 1 iron ingot makes something, 3 iron ingots makes something else, and 6 iron ingots makes a third item.
    Now assume you've only discovered the recipe for 1 ingot and 3 ingots.
    If you place 6 on the table, you should be given the opportunity to select one of three craft options:
    1. an option to craft the 'new unknown item' to add to your recipe log,
    2. an option to craft one of the (3 ingot) items
    3. an option to craft one of the (1 ingot) items

With those three buttons appearing for this situation, if i wanted 6 (1 ingot) items,
    I could just go to that button and click it 6 times (dragging the completed item off the table after each successful craft).
    For the sake of discovery, I feel it's important that "undiscovered items" should only be craftable with the correct number of items on the table.

So if you had recipes for 1 ingot and 6 ingots, but not for 3, laying 6 on the table should only give you 2 options: 3 shouldn't be an option, because you don't know that recipe yet.

I feel this method is much less tedious, but still not too automated - I still feel involved in the work, but am able to mass produce without so many aggravating steps.

tjw and Skalex like this.
  20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I agree with you.. and I'd like to suggest to the developers that tools should not need to be placed on the table. If I have the tool on my person, I can use it!
    The recipe should call for a certain tool admittedly, but I'd prefer if the items need to be placed and the tool needs to be "equipped". If a recipe doesn't require a special tool, then it either shouldn't matter what you have equipped for crafting that item, or you should need to have nothing equipped, so you are free to use your hands for crafting (like the spool of thread).

Eventually I hope to see a different crafting animation for each tool equipped on my character, and that would improve immersion for me.
    **Plus, there needs to be an obvious functional difference between the tools of the trade and the materials used just to make crafting more interesting. Plopping everything on the table and having the tool mixed in with the items feels odd to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.