Crafting Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Amber Raine, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Leave it to me to put this in the wrong spot... BUT... i have a suggestion that i would love to see implemented..

i have figured out crafting, in fact i LOVE thsi system already however, i would like to see us be able to make more then 1 at a time.. for example.. first we discover how to make said item.. which we would need to use only 1 at a time with... however after having discovered said recipe, say we want to them make 5 of said item, we should be able to add that many number of resources to make that many items..

just a thought... making 1 at a time if you need like 20 items... is gonna be quite mousal abusal.. JS!

2. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Certainly. The framework for crafting is very early. We will eventually have some type of bulk production. Trust me, no one has spent more time making iron bars than me and most of that not using list view.

3. Amber Raine

aye, i am one who would not use list form, i enjoy the look without lists, but blessed be the coming of mass production ~smiles~ my mouse thanks you .. i believe if i keep making many more of these single one by one.. it is going to toss up a picket line and declare a strike due to mouse abuse :)

TheMadHermit and Time Lord like this.
  4. Bzus

Yes. My wrist hurts just from testing the system. You should have seen it before we had list view or stackables. Click and drag for every single ingredient!

TheMadHermit and smack like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

An addendum to that:
    Instead of click and drag for every ingredient, I would love to see it that once it is already in your recipe book, you can click on either the icon or name in the book and (after a delay timer, say 1-3 seconds per ingredient item) it makes the item 'automagically'. This would also save LOTS of clicking/wrist soreness, and would enable you to talk/RP while crafting.

6. Curt

Curt Avatar

Could add a 'REPEAT' button to the crafting tables that would take from your bags the same mats you just used and then create

Tarsilion and NirAntae like this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

That would also work well, yes!

8. Amber Raine

aye agreed, my whole point was if mass production could indeed be put in at one point. I am not picky on how it is done, as long as we can prevent my mouse from going on strike, i need it for work :p

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Wrongway38

Wrongway38 Avatar

I'm really enjoying the crafting system as is. With one addition to speed up mass production of things once a recipe is discovered. It would be cool if at that time you could have the recipe up, and items in pack, then while standing next to the appropriate crafting table you simply click the recipe, allow for a shift click to increase/decrease quantity. Of course increase of quantity should be limited to something like the base components such as ingots and bars. The table could be continued to be used for discovering new recipes.

Perhaps down the road set up quest lines for books or some sort of way to discovery more recipes other than through just trial and error. Just a thought, but again loving it.

10. Bzus

This will definitely happen. With the current early release version of the crafting system all you really have is the trial and error discovery recipes.

3devious, Wrongway38 and mike11 like this.
  11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I like the idea of allowing players to "figure it out" on their own if they want. I think having the system just make sense instead of having a crafting window with a repeat button while you go afk... keeps more value in the items being made. Anyway, just my thought after making a bunch of stuff with the bag system not the list inventory ;)

Also, we have 74 recipes online (when I posted this) already at the wiki... if you wanted a helping hand figuring out some stuff come on over :)

12. Squire

Squire Avatar

I'd actually be opposed to anything that makes the crafting process easier/less time-consuming for the player, for one simple reason: making things is supposed to take time. It's supposed to take weeks of labour to make a sword. Obviously we can't actually have it happen in real time, but it should take some time. Having things pop out of the workbench instantly just seems silly, and decreases the value of the labour involved.

Also, I'm guessing that crafting stuff in the actual game will require skill in said discipline, and that skill will take time to develop, but our skills were maxed out for this demo, correct? I'd hate the thought of everyone being capable of making something so complicated as a sword from day one. :D

Phredicon likes this.
  13. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Just curious. But how do I look at a recipe? To make the stuff I have I had to come back to the forums and look up the recipes in the instructions.

And another vote for mass production.

oh, and how bout a little count number next to piles or at least a different icon for a single item and a stack of resources.

14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Death: Press R for your recipe book. It will have the recipes you have learned. The R2 instructions give you a few to start with and the rest is trial and error ooooorrrrr you could go to the wiki and grab all the recipes that have been discovered.

15. Lord Melvek

Lord Melvek Avatar

I agree with everything in this thread. The whole discovery process with the crafting tables is awesome, I love it! And I agree that once you discovered a recipe, you should be able to just drag the recipe on the table to be able to go in production mode.

Other ideas that you guys said already, but my thoughts also:
    1. to link the recipe book with the crafting table.
    2. when you open a crafting table, you should see all your recipe available for that specific table.
    3. If you have the mats, the recipe should be highlight.
    4. You double click the recipe or drag it on the table to use.
    5. You can insert the number of crafting items you want for that specific recipe.
    6. Crafting multiple items go in loop mode so doing 100 ingots could take 10 minutes.
    7. You can stop the process anytime by escape.

Time Lord and Death-Knell like this.
  16. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I can't stress how much I agree with this. I understand the desire to want to just "click to create" but that just means that the world is flooded with items that much faster which in turn means crafting becomes less enjoyable that much faster.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

At least for things like ingots. I'm not so sure I mind crafting one sword at a time. I like crafting one sword at a time to get it just right. That seems kind of realistic. However the basic pieces should definitely be crafted much faster.

Also I think using one coal per each ingot created, and using one coal for crafting a sword seems like it might make crafting a sword from scratch not good economically. For instance if a person refines resources from scratch they would use more coal than say just a person who finds a normal sword on an enemy, and refines them afterwards. The reason I'm saying that is because it takes several of ingots and bars to make one sword (all requiring one coal per bar or ingot), but it takes only one coal to put the pieces together to make a sword.

So when the mechanic is around to create ingots and bars in mass quantities at a time can we use less coal in the process? Say one coal to make 5 ingots at a time so that it isn't too expensive (coal-wise) to begin the process. I don't know how else to describe what I'm thinking so I hope that makes sense.

Numa likes this.
  18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I'd be happy with a 20 max done after placing the required items on the table especially for ingots boards Leather , we don't want it to easy to script for the farmers.

19. Nord

Nord Avatar

(Bangs head on table) Sigh I've been writing them all down.

As for the discussion on hand I'm kind of the fence between the two view points. I would like to point out that a full set of iron armor (not counting a shield) only takes 14 iron bars. So the question is how many full suits of iron armor do you want someone to be able to crank out in 5 minutes?

20. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

May be a good thing to keep them don't forget they will wipe everything a few times before release comes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.