Suggestion: Turning Double XP Weekends into Double XP Potions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Complicationatbirth, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Complicationatbirth

Complicationatbirth Avatar

Problem: Currently Double XP Weekends cater to those players that do not work weekends and can obtain all the xp to their hearts desire, while those that do work may only get a couple hours, its not fair. Also, double xp weekend forces you to an extent to only grind on the weekends, is that honestly fun? why should someone spend their weekend grinding when there is so much more that can be done.

Solution: Non-Tradable, Non-Sellable, Non-placeable double XP potions that last for 24 hours and are given out each day by the oracle during a double XP event. This will allow everyone who has the ability to log on to claim them and grind on days that they are able to. (You could argue about the people who cant log on during the "events" are missing out as well, yes you are right, another consideration would be automatically mailing them to players.)

What are your thoughts?

2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The biggest concern would be trading, selling, RMT, etc... so, if it is done in the way you suggest, I don't really see how bad it could be. I would have no problem with that, but ONLY if you absolutely could NEVER give/sell them to anyone.

Jaesun, Olthadir and Boo Ladedada like this.
  3. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

Make them bind to account.

Katu, Paladin Michael, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  4. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

As someone working nights, six days a week for the last couple months, this would be a godsend.

Double experience makes normally unattractive spawns/encounters/zones become attractive. I daresay make it double XP all the time. Then noone will feel beholden to the "must grind" mentality.

Skill levels would become a secondary thought to adventuring after that. Maybe decay can be increased to compensate for higher experience gain. I know everyone "hates" decay, but it would be important to lose experience if you can gain it back in 20-30 minutes.

5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Seems a very good idea. It may get player numbers up off-peak as well. I monitor the Steam charts, which anecdotally are 20-30% of the active player base, and it's a worry, mainly during the week and away from patch weekends and generally at weekends. AS LONG as they do it the way you say. If exp boosters are sellable / tradeable its all over!

amarious and Nikko like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You just made me think of seeing a big DOUBLE XP thing hovering over a scene as you run by. There for an hour or two, then it disappears to go somewhere else. That would be interesting.

Katu, Elay, K1000 and 4 others like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

They have to show up in everyone's bank when they claim rewards, whether they contributed or not, just like everyone gets double XP whether the contributed or not. That way they aren't pay to win.

After that, I don't see why you couldn't trade them or sell them.

8. amarious

amarious Avatar

This is a great damn idea!

And that's the only way it could work.

I too am working 6 days a week 12-16 hours a day. On my day off (Sunday) I wake up early and grind out 1-2mill xp before my family wakes up and I spend the rest of the day with them cause I hardly get to see them.

And to be honest.. If I'm to subscribe and participate in the Telethons I feel somewhat cheated out of the dbl xp weekend part of the stretch goals.

K1000 likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not sure if the OP is a good idea or not...

However, if we're talking about non-tradeable potions that lock in a 24 hour bonus and then they're used up, we might as well consider it just being a blessing given out by the Oracle (or some other source) that you can collect on for the whole week. There's not really much of a reason to make non-tradeable potions, it's a more complex and messy solution than is necessary.

the Lacedaemonian likes this.
  10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

That is literally giving XP for money. The second that starts happening, I have a REAL problem with the game.

Katu, Vero, Brugas and 3 others like this.
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great - and very reasonable - idea in the OP if bound to account.

amarious, the Lacedaemonian and Nikko like this.
  12. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The "Shroud of the Avatar" is a quest item that is not trade-able or sell-able, and many people have them, and use them. The mechanic exists, and it doesn't really seem that complicated or messy to me.

13. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

what if the double xp isn't really a reward as much as a bribe to get more people in on the weekends?

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Nikko

I know there are non-tradeable items, theyre generally quest items and its a kind of messy mechanic in general, even as such, because you can only place those items in your bank or your in inventory. But then people will start collecting piles of non-tradeable consumables that never expire, and think if they were to do this they might as well just make it a blessing that one could collect on within the week of that weekend.

15. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

there's ways to do that too! good suggestion.

16. Complicationatbirth

Complicationatbirth Avatar

Yeah this wouldnt be good if you could sell them, thats why they are bound to you.

And the system isnt messy, they already have it in place, the new pvp tokens.

17. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Vlad's idea of randomly rotating double experience zones would be killer. Top notch idea. There's always somewhere with double experience but the zone is randomly selected, could include pvp zones, and it rotates every 2-3 hours. Sometimes it could be a mine, others a shard fall, and others it could be somewhere there's a control point. It would pretty much guarantee that the players branch out and away from common zones.

Boo Ladedada likes this.
  18. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

I love the Idea of the OP. I love the RMT part of this game we have so many options for how we build our Avatar. I think portalarium should have made Crowns non-Tradeable that way they would have had a recurring revenue to help Develop the game. I know this will never happen because they already have it in place and there are people making real $ off them. I think buying XP potions would be great for people and definitely make them nontradeable that way if you want 2xp then help support the game you love not buy them to make real$ for yourself. My opinion but I do not think that would be a pay to win option. You can attenuate with or without 2xp I do it every day. My advantage is I have more time to be in the game than most people. But I would really like a non-tradeable item that port sells that everyone would want to help them with Development of the game. And I'm not talking about a 500$ reservation for episode 2 or something that is not made already. Micro Transactions like 5-10$ Item

19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Yes. I see your point. Could be bad unless they stacked neatly or something. I think I get what you're saying now, though.

20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Nope. This is exactly what pay2win means. You're then SELLING a thing that gives a very direct and obvious advantage to the player that uses it. In fact, that one might be even worse than selling weapons via the online store that are better-than-craftable weapons. HORRIBLE. Mass-exodus, type bad you're talking about here.

amarious and Scanphor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.