DPS meter built in please

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by SabeSr, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

For both solo and for groups...

It allows us an excellent way to adjust how we attack and how well we are helping as a group member both heal and do damage... damage received would be helpful for tanking players as well.

Maliced and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  2. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Oh no please not. Thanks.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Only if the mobs have enrage timer mechanics as a dps check. (And please never do this.)

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

As soon as this is done as a in game feature,the game will devolve into being like every other game where people watch meters and flame against those on the low end. This is the last thing this game ever needs, period. Sorry, but I disagree with this idea and hope the devs never do it. :eek::)

5. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

Do you want to break immersion. . . . . . . . . .cause this is how you break immersion!!!!

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

please, please NO!!!

7. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

8. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

9. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I'm personally fine with it. More clarity in everything stat-wise is always a good thing to me. Make it an add-on or toggle-able meter. If you don't want to use it, then simply don't use it. I should say, I think only a personal meter would be necessary. You don't need to be sharing it with your group. It could even be a deco item like a training dummy you put in your house just to get a general idea of your output.

10. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

This information is all available in the log. It takes considerable effort and brain use to do, but it is entirely possible to calculate DPS.

Using the timestamp from the log, pick a minute of time from a heavy battle interaction and add up the total number of damage you dealt. We will call this number "D"
    The term DPS (Damage Per Second) refers to a rate "R". I'll use D=R*T (distance is rate times time). We want to find "R" and we already have "T" and "D": T=60 seconds and D=the sum of dealt damage from the time sample. Solving for "R" gets us:

R=D/T ("DPS" is damage over time) or: R=D/60

so if you want a longer or shorter time sample, change the "T" to the amount of seconds in the sample and the sum of damage "D" in that time.

Keep in mind that damage dealt in the log is the value after damage mitigation on the target side.

hope that helps, if not, an introductory programming class or two will equip you to write your own DPS counting program by accessing your SOTA chat log.

lucasjung and Fister Magee like this.
  11. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

You're actually serious aren't you...

Why don't we just all roll dice while we are at it, then enter the results into text and wait for the creature to roll their dice and enter their rolls into game every swing we take...

12. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Or you could take 2 seconds to find that someone's already done part of the work for you....
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/umuris-sota-hud-combat-stats-log-parsing-legible-stats-and-more.54410/

Note, this will not give you a raw "DPS" stat. Because those stats are mildly worthless right now.
    Since the log shows everything, not just your combat but everything near you, it does allow you to compare relative averages over different skills against different creatures.
    This is most useful for finding out which monsters are strong/weak against different skills.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Having seen MMO groups that awarded loot rights based on DPS I'm not so much in favor of adding a DPS meter to the game. It can lead to unwanted group meta behaviors. But I understand why someone would want to be able to see it.

Witcheypoo and lucasjung like this.
  14. Shadilay

Shadilay Avatar

Simply put casuals don't want it, where the more hardcore and curious people that want to disect the game and see it's inner workings would want it, i happen to be in the former group. To have a combat system and such a deep game and not be able to understand how it works is silly to me. Every MMO should come equipped with DPS meters and threat meters.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I use Umuris in the Tears groups I lead just to check for slackers to boot. Everybody should be using his tool.

the devs have stated they are against this kind of info built in because they dont want to encourage min/max (ha... even though the game is designed for min/max).

Boo Ladedada likes this.
  16. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

I hate the idea simply because whenever this was implemented, then it started the grieving.
    And, current deck system is made up to expand experimentations. With tools like these, people would just make a single silly "most optimized" build and all others would blindly follow it.

Never make a great game all about numbers. That's what I learned from 18 years of MMOing...

Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Now since you said that I feel social pressure to use the tool :<

18. Xeng

Xeng Avatar

I would much more prefer to have an Aggro Meter instead of a DPS one, or a visual warning when you are getting close of getting the attention of the mob.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

I've already started to see things posted on Upper Tears like "We'll kick you if your DPS is low" which is understandable but perhaps also not in spirit of game as we'd curated it. This will exacerbate that.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This has nothing to do with this game. Since the invention of online MMO's and "groups" you always get people who join and spend 10% (or afk mouse clicker) of their attention to playing the game purposely sucking up the xp (LEEEERRRROOOYYYYYYY JEEEEEEEEENKINNNNNNNS). It can be pretty bad in tears, especially when 2x XP is not on.

Its worse now because Tears is much harder now since they changed it a week ago. You need 8 decent (adv lvl 90) players with dedicated attention to run it.

I died more in tears this weekend then I have in the past 6 months because of bad actors. I also had to remove some people who walked into out group with 400 hp. Now, I dont mind helping new people but we died in 2 pulls and I asked them to leave for higher level players and they left (now thats in the "spirit", but they were clearly alts any ways).

Many people dont feel the "sprit" of the game and need to be booted from groups when they dont.

Well actually, I've only booted a few people in the 100+ hours I have lead tears but they were literally afk on purpose. I usually just chose to leave the group quickly... but I should have to do that, Im gonna start booting more.

Boo Ladedada likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.