I'm feeling a bit in a mid-range rut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelzie, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, I think it's time for Episode 2, focusing on Storyline :)

Cordelayne, Brewton and Nelzie like this.
  2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I want higher level feel content, that's available all through game play. Stuff that feels high level when your character and applicable skills are in the level 30 range, level 40 range, level 50, 60, 70, 80 and so on. Some of it solo able at those levels, some needing a small to medium sized team that can later be done solo as a much more powerful character.

3. Paladin Michael

... and before Episode 2 rises on horizon, the Hidden Vale Questline could be continued and finished. It's nice, too :)
    The XP reward should be much higher, because of the high(er) Tier in this region
    !

Cordelayne, Nelzie and Brewton like this.
  4. Paladin Michael

And last but not least, after the complete new quest system and journal is finished a last quest reset should be given to all player who did it twice with all these 'player xyz is on/offline' and remaining bugs we fighted so hard to get rid of them :)

MFWalter, Nelzie and Brewton like this.
  5. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

I think we have to remember now that there is a much smaller staff and we need to wait until episode 2 is released before a lot of these are addressed. While we all like to make posts requesting fixes to old bugs or new receipts, patterns, bosses, higher level areas, etc. etc., we should be mindful that the current concentration is on episode 2. While some of the great suggestions posted could get included in that release we should probably curtail these daily suggestions until after episode 2 is released and the team has more time to focus on good suggestions that are posted.

Elwyn likes this.
  6. Paladin Michael

Well, Brewton, most of these good suggestions were made over the last 5 years. may be not enough to change disturbing issues

A lot of people hoped, the last 6 months before official launch would heal most terrible bugs. Unfortunately, many people lost trust in fixing issues and stopped bug reporting and constructive feedback

It's difficult to change a running system after it is installed, the whole quest system shows this...

So writing down these suggestions later this year could be too late... let us hope they find enough time to check our feedback :):):):)

7. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

Oh, I agree with you 100%! I for one pushed to promote fixing the bugged quest posts prior to launch knowing that any new person coming in at launch would be disappointed or discouraged with that hot mess. I really only wanted to point out about wanting new items or settings etc. to be introduced between episodes with a much smaller team that’s working hard to bring us new content. The quest enhancements is one of those things that’s supposed to be part of Ep2, hopefully.
    :) ;):);)

Cordelayne and Paladin Michael like this.
  8. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Have you tried clearing out the Hilt? I think I did it around your level. Its a fun dungeon that starts in the nightshade pass map. While you are clearing it out, look for the strongboxes that can contain the recipes for the obsidian armor/weapons. ( I think there are 8 of them scattered throughout the dungeon.) Each of the 8ish boxes has a chance to drop certain obsidian recipes. You will need to clear it multiple times to collect all of the recipes.

If you find the obsidian forge you made it to the end. Otherwise keep looking.

PS: Right now the stats on obsidian armor/weapons aren't that great for the effort but its fun to collect the recipes. Hopefully they will re-balance them in the future.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

You should also be around the point where you can start soloing sieges. (Everything except the cabalist boss at the end.)

10. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

This - people who thrive in games like this learn to make their own goals where most games provide them. My goals are very much in line with this post.

Vero, Elwyn, Witcheypoo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Paladin Michael

Beside this, I think, it would be a good idea to have a kind of "atlas" to get aware of HOW MUCH content can be discovered :)
    Don't misunderstand! NO SPOILER stuff, like providing the whole uncovered map taking the fun to explore it.
    I mean an atlas containing boxes with ? hiding goals, like
    189 quests are waiting to be discovered
    103 riddles waiting to be solved
    xxx peaces of virtue armor is waiting for you
    xx virtue banners are outside ...

You explored
    x dungeons of
    x towns of
    x rivers of

Well, to find dungeons and towns and rivers is easy while traveling around, but how should we get aware of the (hidden) quests and riddles?

Well, at first, like it is now.
    Second: the tavern could be THE place to get information about further mysterious things, like someone telling us about a treasure in the woods ...

So, we would enter a scene with given knowledge there is something to find!
    We would pay more attention to a small cabin or a broken boat, ...

So more background information could be given to a scene (Why is there a riddle? Why are there Skeletons guarding a crypt? Who buildt this?)

This would
    1. give more reasons to travel around, visiting a scene
    2. make the world more alife

It also could provide extra XP and/or special titles by reaching the goals!

MANTACO, MFWalter, Witcheypoo and 2 others like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You got that right! I spent an absolute fortune in gold and time collecting my Obsidian Plate armor and it was not worth it in the slightest, outside of the aesthetic of looking awesome in black armor, lol. :)

Lord Trady of Blix and Nelzie like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

14. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Remember that episode 1 is aimed for you to finish at level 80, if we had level caps you would be at it.

Questline over, welcome to the sandbox, now you have to make your own goals, fun etc with the tools available.

Spung

Witcheypoo likes this.
  15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I've been feeling this for most of a year, well before finishing the Episode 1 Quest though.

I was unaware of some of the things that are out in the world, now. It was nice to learn that, but the "boss" things are all aimed at higher than level 80 characters. That's a really ... old school MMO design idea.

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Not really, I was killing torc (big troll) at level 80. Practice on the mountain encounter until they don't ever really hit you. Most bosses have a way to beat them, usually only needs you to work out the deck that will work and the gear you need. Other than that as long as the skills you need are at at least 80, it can be done. Not easily, and not face tanking obviously.

Eg a fire ward set and keeping the amount of aggro low and using the pillars to break the line of sight you can do the mage room in the rise. You will die on occasions, but the XP is good enough that does not really matter.

Spung

Adam Crow likes this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Imagine if:
    You got sucked into a portal:
    You are the avatar!
    You were a role playing card gamer, and did some larp! (and possibly played U4-U7.)
    You ended up in this world of Novia.
    As a person that Identifies with RP the person might want to seek out local lore.|
    This person is fascinated with the wonderful weirdness and the collage of "other outlanders" I thought I was the one!"
    Imagine a place where you try to build a campfire to feed yourself... "damn no matches"
    Imagine a place for a young fledgling to lay down and take his chances for an encounter...."sorry no rest here..."
    Imagine a place where you could go to train, and fight people on the same spectrum as you. "I cannot find anyone anywhere"....

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Honestly, I personally am not yet doing the quests in the game (the PvE side). I will, one day. Just not now. I'm too busy developing my character.

What that means is I find things to do. The Group Finder (ALT-F) is pretty cool for that, although I have really only used it for Upper Tears. However, I've seen some groups for the Phoenix, Ravensmoor, etc., and I would have maybe joined if I wasn't busy doing other stuff.

What is that other stuff? Occasionally it's some RP. A lot, lately, it's been Upper Tears because I have a specific build in mind that I keep adding to (recently, I began leveling up Bludgeon (staff) because the Obsidian Golems are resistant to my Death/Air build). I GM'd a lot (no bad bots!) using Upper Tears. That's provided a lot of entertainment and allowed me to meet other players. I also spend time going to different zones to get producer XP and materials for whatever I may need (beetles!). Just a thought.

Aside from that, what are your personal goals in this game? For example, I have ALWAYS strived to be somewhat self-sufficient. So I have gotten producer XP to make things I need, but also have pooled my experience to level up Tailoring/Masterworking/Enchantments.

I have so much more I want to do. RP wise, I have three lots that I'd like to develop stories for, and the dungeon creation tools they are planning is going to keep me (and others, I am sure) busy.

The whole point of this rant is that this game is truly open to do what you want. If you are in a rut, find a place to grind, find a place to gather/grind. Build your story the way you want.

I find myself in a rut sometimes. I find something else to do. And to be honest, if the rut is deep, I play something else and come back later.

Good luck!

19. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I do need to grow my social time in game. I've been focusing on solo stuff, because... it's difficult to have time available to plan and go about a group adventure these days.

My goals include, being an excellent crafter, I love the crafting system in SOTA, it's the kind of crafting system that I greatly enjoy, it's so superior to other crafting systems that I've seen in Dungeons&Dragons Online, Star Trek Online and so many others. This crafting just feels more real, like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies was. I always focused on crafting in those two games and it was great fun!

Like, currently, I can consistently craft +12 Bladed Weapons with around 80 Durability left over when I'm done. They aren't the MOST uber, but they are up there and have staying power that just might not be there with a higher powered weapon.

Aside from that, I enjoy lore, I enjoy finding the stories in scenes and playing through those. I still want to see more than just, "Oh, I went through activating all of these pillars across the scene, opened a door and... it's just a random bag Lich, this time it has a sword, next time it will have a bow and maybe be a mage at some other point..." Why can't it have been a uniquely colored Lich with a name like "Dodentus, the Unyearning" and maybe Dodentus sometimes drops a piece of decoration or something that can be used in crafting?

Opening these doors in scenes should mean a LITTLE more than opening up yet another randomly generated mob.

Ataniiq, Scanphor and Cordelayne like this.
  20. mass

mass Avatar

Now if you want to talk about a rut, this is it for me. I definitely felt your pain around the adv lvl 70 - 80 range. Around adv level 85, the world seems to really open up with most content being accessible to you. But, because I'm trying to GM masterworking and enchanting skills, I'm still spending most of my time in the mines grinding the thousands upon thousands of ore needed. Even with a 5,000 xp pool and a potion of guidance, getting my weapon enchanting from 97 to 100 took more than a 1,000 ore. I'd much rather be hunting bosses or exploring scenes, but if I want to make decent stuff, it's off to the mines I go. The price people sell ore for just isn't efficient enough to not do it myself.

I think there's a good amount of stuff to do out there, it's just difficult to meet your advancement goals and go find them with limited time.

Cordelayne and Nelzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.