Economy Ground to Halt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeddicus Zorander, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gurdrith Agraos

Gurdrith Agraos Avatar

Thank you for your response, that puts things in a different perspective for me. I actually stopped by the public vendor in Resolute when I first started and grabbed a bronze +6 long sword and a +2 meteoric. I’ve been running with those for a while but the durability on the meteroic is down to 11 and I’d like to replace it since the broken weapon icon is always there and it’s driving me crazy.

I’m nearing GM in blades and bringing in a much higher cash flow now, should I be buying new armor, saving for a plot or something else? I’m currently at a rent free house in Knight’s Watch so I’m not pressed for housing at the moment. I’ve eyed a few pieces I’ve wanted but I’m sitting at 20k right now and any piece that I want is around that price. I just don’t understand if it’s worth the grind to pay for them or if it’s smarter to wait.

Is S Mart the town or are the vendors spread all over? I just got done visiting a S Mart vendor in Aerie but didn’t see much I could use. That name keeps coming up so I feel more comfortable visiting those vendors and I’m curious if people are just renaming the vendors to associate with what seems to be a reputable name.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You're welcome. S Mart is my vendors and I have a town by Resolute.

You're past the level where you should be browsing that one, it's aimed at new players. You will want to head into the Central Brittany urban sprawl and do some serious window shopping through the many towns there, or just keep checking the pvs for a while. You could pick up a basic meteoric sword and then get someone to do the work on it. That's a gamble, but the crafters life is a gamble so it is what it is.

You could repair that sword to almost max for 1 Coto, but it sounds like you should buy a new, long term one.

Re gold, if you look on Steam I wrote a guide for how to make gold in game. Some quick ways to increase you wallet is to sell off any virtue gear, frost Geist skulls, and Banners that you don't want. Also now is a great time to sell any wood you've been collecting.

When you're low on cash, don't salvage trash weapons, sell them. It adds up quick.

If you're a crafter I often have work that needs doing, message me if you see me in game and I may have something you can make gold with.

Jaesun and Gurdrith Agraos like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Most of the stuff is way over price and junk. Just spend some time shopping around! There’s a lot of beautiful decorated towns.

Hell, just today I ran next door to the town near by, and now on my list I have 2 new vendors I will DEFINITELY buy from! Holy crap the prices we good! :D

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

While keeping an eye on the levers of an economy is smart in any MMO, and tweaking when required, what the game really needs to make the economy zing is... a population.

We're beyond pretending everything's OK in the population department, so let's just put it on the table. Vendors would sell more stuff if there were more people playing the game.

3devious, Nog, Gorthyn and 3 others like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I would highly recommend not selling quest items as they should be pride of place in your home making you feel you've accomplished stuff. You'll easily waste all that money you make off them too.

Jaesun likes this.
  6. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Honestly I noticed increased selling the last 2 month, it depends a lot from how many vendor you have, what is the position, what are the stuffs you are selling, and what is the price. Atm I am using my vendors in New Heaven, vendors in Crafter town, and 1 vendor in Brit Mart, just sold my Britanny alleys spot, where I get lot of traffic and I am not using at all the vendor who I have access in Novia Market. So i am just using POTs and I am honestly selling much more than before in those vendors, I just restocked them and reduced a bit prices keeping them competitive with the rest of the market.

I have to say that prices of crafted items dropped a lot, cause you don't broke anymore item while crafting, so, unless you have realy epic items, they don't worth too much, and common items are not selling too much, cause there are realy a lot around. Same for the artifacts market that is also not going too good, cause there is a overflow of them in the market, so you earn more money salvaging it for essences.
    To the other hand raw materials, reagents, epic crafted stuffs, recipes, and rare items are selling realy good, atleast in my spots.

Jaesun and Elrond like this.
  7. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

We can all agree that there needs to be more drains in the economy, the value of money has fallen, we need more demand, and a higher scarcity of resources... I'd like to see a limit on the amount of resources that can be produced daily, a redo of the crafting value of objects, example you put into an item 25k worth of items the final vendorable value will be 25k...Maybe we need a real economist working on the SOTA economy...Just saying...even just a consultation on how to fix the current situation... really a well oiled economy can survive can scale on population size without issues...especially a computer generated one...I really enjoy being a merchant in game and also an adventurer but lately my merchant RPing hasn't been satisfied at all...

Please understand my ideas are not thought out at all they're just me rambling on the topic of economy, because it feels broken, and I know I'm not alone on this subject. I know there are always those who will make ti work no matter what, they pour hundreds of dollars into the game and magically they sell stuff... Unfortunately the average Joe Merchant who cannot throw thousands of dollars into multiple CF vendors and properties simply can't compete.

8. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

You don't need to throw lot of money in the game for having different selling spots, first you can buy vendors with igg and also there are pots with shared vendors and people who share their vendors, I have Many vendors shared with friends.
    I do agree about the value of crafting items, sometimes i spend 20k for craft an item that worth 10, at the same time it's hard to Balance this because prices of resurces are done by players so they constantly change.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I started on a basic account, won a 2 story kobald row bundle from a telethon, all the rest of the deeds and cf vendors I have gotten with IGG, and 2 from trade for exp. Dont need thousands of dollars if you can do thousands of hours :) .

Jaesun, Elwyn and Dhanas like this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The first number or the second? The first number can be repaired with a repair kit (get them either from a weapons vendor NPC or loot drops), then you can either apply the repair kit directly to the item, or go to a crafting table and put it on along with the item and click on Repair. The main difference is that you get some crafting XP for using the table, and I think it also repairs more.

Been there, done that, on FFXI. When that happens, it sets a base price for what a player can sell an item to someone else. All that does is make crafters grind for gold and skills and sell to NPCs, because it's not worth selling the item to a player for less than that. It would also set a base price for the materials that make the item, because it wouldn't be worth using them for anything less than making stuff to sell to NPCs. The NPC buy-back price shouldn't be the pittance it is now, but it also shouldn't be anywhere near what a player will play for the materials. That's a great way to mess up an player-driven crafting economy.

If the value (when sold to one of the "tag match" NPCs) is more than about 40 or so, I'll sell it, otherwise I'll salvage. Some items with a high base price sell for a lot more when repaired, which is a good use for piles of repair kits you might have lying around from loot.

Dhanas and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  11. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

This is something I have been preaching about for a while. There is basically no reason to buy anything when gear never loses durability. I have pretty much opted out of the economy at this point, almost nothing that you can craft sells for more than the raw materials + crafting time are worth.

GreyMouser Skye and Nog like this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That site allows upload of every mail that you discard from your mailbox.

If you take the actual receipt and put it in a chest then you will not be able to automatically upload it.

Every time you discard a mail from your mailbox it records all the data into a file on your computer. Then you just go to the website and upload those files whenever you want to see your updated purchases and sales.

3devious and Elwyn like this.
  13. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Holy cow! 1000g per enchant? Man, I'm hugely under valuing my +4 to +9 items (charge 400 - 3500).

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

What i realized is that sales in PoTs are much higher than in Story towns.

Dhanas and that_shawn_guy like this.
  15. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

i think if we did a better job of communicating the true costs of those +10 items (mats for skill gain, failures, etc), crafting could be a lot more profitable.

if you work with someone like @Arieus who will custom make an item with only complimentary masterworks & enchants with the highest possible durability, the general ideas of "value" for such an item is off by at least one or two decimal places.

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

People selling stuff like scrolls cotos silver gold do pretty well, crafted goods dont turn as well and pet collars dont turn artifacts are dime a dozen.

It really depends on what your selling and the demand. There is a problem in areas of the economy take pets for example you buy one pet whistle since its nearly impossible to lose ur pet and collars dont wear or break there is no circular cycle. Cotos and teleports people use like crazy so those vendors do quite well.

Dhanas likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Don't forget that a +10 also has the added cost of failures built into the random number crafting. So that one that you trashed, if you're ever going to "make a living as a crafter", has to be covered by a higher price on the on that turned out great.

Brugas, Brewton and that_shawn_guy like this.
  18. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

The vendors that tick me off are the ones that take regular, NPC store bought recipes (you know, the ones that sell everywhere for 250g) and intersperse them with other dropped recipes, and price them at 1000-7000g each. Talk about slimy business practices.

19. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Hey, I do that regularly, well not for 7k, but for 750gp to 1k gp depending, especially tracking down regional recipes and selling them elsewhere. It's all about convenience and some people would rather pay for it than run around gathering them when they could be doing other things. Generally it'll be x3 or x4 for new/hot items. Though I did notice this last release, a lot of recipes were valued way up there only to be replaced with normal prices (250gp to 1000gp) a few days later. The shogun lightstring recipe was 1200gp from vendors, wooden round table was 750gp, and Faded Novia Canvas was 5,600gp from npc vendors... only to be changed to 250gp for recipes and 1,000gp for the canvas, so my early prices were double until the changes. It's just business, though I try not to go crazy with the inflation.

Takes time and effort to run around gathering some of those recipes too... even with a huge friends list it still seems there are hardly any players in the NE part of the map (Drachvald region) or South (Perennial Coast) a good bit of the time, so you still have to foot it and all that time adds up.

Elwyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ill tell everyone a secret.. shhhhh... between us to help you out.

If you sell any crafting mats right now at market price, you are gonna sell a TON of it. Sell wood, ore, leather, cotton, suit, skel bones, Beatles. Bamb... these will sell practically instantly, especially if you market.

If you are selling pledge and ornate right now it depends. Ornate's are all over the place, the more rare it is (discontinued) the higher chance and the more gold.

Pledge items depend on how high the pledge is. The higher the pledge them faster it will sell at higher prices (I can tell you duke items sold for an INSANE amount of gold)

Artifacts and such... there's a billion of them around on a billion vendors. Only a few real specific useful items sell (like Fleet flute, harp of invigoration, lich ring). The vast majority are common drops now and many of us have a dozen sitting in our chests. Learn the rare items.

Recipes are kinda odd. They clearly still sell but I actually think there is a ring in the game that dominates this market. I see them on ever vendor. the prices seems overly priced. I would suggest you sell them for half what the monopoly sells for and they will probably end up buying them from you pretty quick for resale themselves.

Everything else like weps and armor that arnt created by a person with 140 in the skills just odnt sell. You may make sales but you wont make your money back. Teleportt scrolls, recall scrolls... nope, they are common drops now and most of us have thousands in the bank. House... haven't seen them sell at all.

If in doubt about how much is sold out there and for how much, check out the site:

https://shroudoftheavatar.net/

So if you are need of gold and a sale start with this, go farm 500 gold or silver ore and sell it. Drop the price 1-2 gold below the average... it will be gone in minutes (advertise on Discord). Because, again the fact is economy in this game is insanely strong and gold prices have not changed since a few months after persistence.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Vladamir Begemot and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.