1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud's Status, Criticism, Healthy Debate, & the Future

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

No drinking please..... they will get wasted and nothing of value or importance will get answered ….

2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

3. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

@DarkStarr please understand many of us are loyal and love the game, but surely at time have issues with its direction. We pledged significant monies and time to help you all make this game. We love it, and appreciate all you and the team have done. Thank you.

4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

Would it be offensive to most if we limited the number of post one can make in a month?

Would it be offensive to put a reasonable character limit on all post so as to allow for a good discussion, yet eliminate the ability of some to seemingly totally dominate ever single conversation on the forums each day with multiple post?

I believe we had something along these lines at one point in the past.

Would it possibly help us all feel a bit more like we all have a voice and a chance for our thoughts and ideas to be heard and considered by the dev team and others here in the forums who might be able to add to the mix in a friendly, positive and supportive way even if of a different opinion?

Would it help the developers to be able to comb thru the massive amount of post each month and quickly gain the jest of fan base feedback and the overall satisfaction or dissatisfaction of the game, thus being able to respond a bit more to the communities as a whole.

...If I know I have x-number of post for the month to use as I wish, with a max number of characters, pics, links etc.

I think I would chose my words, points, arguments, ideas, complaints carefully and be more inclined to post just the things I really want to say vs blasting away at everyone who differs with me or worse out of fear, just turning away and not posting anything at all because of the feeling, I am about to be shouted over, or drowned out, by some someone with a self righteous attitude, diarrhea of the mouth, a general lack of love and respect for other people and a bad case of me, myself, and I!

Having been here for awhile I have had to make many adjustments in my thinking about this game.
    Deciding to cut back on the amount of time I spend in the forums was a good decision I made, a few years ago, even cutting back on game time at times has been good for me.

About 13 - 15 years ago, I came to the realization that I am not God deep down inside and that I have a rich list of character defects that seem to express themselves constantly if I do not live a full and balanced life, ...one where I am not the one calling all the shots and making all the decisions in all areas of my life without first listening to others I respect or are much more informed than I am on a whole host of life's issues.

I do better with quality input from others. just listening to others without need to respond, correct, or alter their thoughts. It is amazing what one can hear in a crowed room. Asking someone if they would like some feedback is a very friendly and respectful response to someone at times. Sometimes they just want to vent, not be handled.

I am just a old guy who enjoys getting out of the real world and wants to have some fun playing a computer game somewhere.

I really likes the fact that even though I know little about this or any game, I can express my thoughts, ideas, and frustrations and have a reasonably chance of being heard by the community and developers and possibly even responded to once in a great while by a member of the dev team!

SB

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I think limiting certain peoples ability to post is necessary.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

7. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

no limits, this is free speach..

8. oplek

oplek Avatar

I personally prefer a reasonable amount of moderation, just like I'd prefer that people behave themselves when I go to a conference, and if they don't, they're shown the door.

9. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Keep limiting free speech here, and it will just get taken elsewhere. Perhaps one of the more nefarious places that seems to attract quite a few players.

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

History is not on your side in this matter.... @Lord-Galiwyn

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Corv, Fungus and Bambino like this.
  12. Lained

Lained Avatar

13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Funny and very true, but I'm not so sure that was the point.

I think we can all acknowledge that as a privately held company Portalarium is able to moderate and limit what is posted here. However, in doing so they run the risk of pushing players to third party sites to freely voice their concerns and issues. I have always been of the mind, that controlling speech won't truly solve the real problems.

If what the company is really worried about is looking bad, then it should probably look deeper to see if there are things going on that would make it look bad. If so, it’s not a "free speech" problem, it’s a management problem. And policies and controlling what people say are not going to help. The fact that Portalarium has been accepting of criticism and all forms of feedback is great and speaks wonders to their commitment to all of us!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  14. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

FrostII likes this.
  15. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

@Cordelayne is spot on about what the point is. Does Portalarium have the absolute right to censor this place into a an echo-chamber of sycophants? Absolutely. Would that help them make a better game? Probably not. Would it even control negative commentary? Not at all, it would just move elsewhere, where there isn't even a pretense of trying to be civil. Does that mean there should be absolutely no moderation? No, just that it should be used in moderation.

Witcheypoo and Cordelayne like this.
  16. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

out of all the fair, unfair, crazed and just plain stupid things ive posted as far as I can remember over the last few years I have only had 3-4 post modded or deleted.

all but one I thought were fair enough after I spent sometime thinking about it.

maybe a bit more self reflection instead of instant outrage and arm waving while winking at the crowd is required from some.

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have had civil conversations, nothing derailing or inflaming been moderated and deleted. Not pointing fingers at anyone. I hoped for many years this game would pan out and I always just posted my thoughts on what was going on. There is a reason though, and I understand, why people go to alternative sights. They feel they are not taken seriously for what they believe is good feedback and only to be scorned by others here on these forums and chastised by the moderation. This is called blowback, and its a true reality of overmoderation.

18. berenice

berenice Avatar

A comment to those feeling , probably very legitimately that they are being ignored by the dev team when posting suggestions, constructive or not, critics, bugs, improvements etc...Just try to read the parts of the forums where it should be posted once a day and see how long it takes you to do so. Not even talking about answering but just reading all posts to verify that there is no missing "great" suggestions...It will take you hours, that you do not spend working on the game. Some people use the commands @ some others wont, it is just impossible.
    Maybe a @portalarium command to bring attention to your point, but it will quickly spam their alert box by hundreds of messages. Some of them are read, some not, get over it, use discord as well, some channels are monitored by the devs. But lets not terrorize them, they want to work instead of spending time on the forums, we want them to work on the game...
    As an example, i did not see this post when it got posted, it took me 1h30 to read it to the end...9 pages...

@DarkStarr What i would suggest since these frustrations are amazingly recurrent, create a sticky where suggestion only can be posted, people go "like" them or not, a suggestion with one like is ignored (or not, your choice anyway), a suggestion with xxx likes is a serious issue. Any comment to a suggestion is deleted...would make your life easier. And use the bug forum when it is a bug! Do not do like me when i started to play the game, posting bugs that were not bugs but lack of practice and knowledge about the game. Do your homework, discuss with guild mate sto check if these are real bugs, and if you do not see a number attached to your " bug" after a while, it may just be that what you posted was ...not a bug...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Witcheypoo and Synergy Blaize like this.
  19. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I agree, this is a great suggestion, but it would still take a lot of man-hours to moderate & make sure a problem/suggestion isn't being repeated.
    Many people just post & do not read...
    & sometimes even with searching, similar problems/suggestions don't come up, depending on the wording...

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I personally have been baited into an argument and suddenly the other person removed or changed their works and I was moderated while they were not. Plus they then complained about being moderated when they weren't. I guess if you cannot keep your words posted for fear of being moderated and baiting someone else in the wee hours of the night then removing or changing your words to look like you are a saint, please leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.