Episode 2 Stretch Goals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Proteus Tempest, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

@Lord British @DarkStarr

Because Lord British long ago had said to tell the devs whats on our minds, I have something to say.

First I want to say that I love all of you (in that platonic way of course. All others I will PM individually) nothing here that follows is a slam on the Devs or players for which all have done spectacularly.

Ok now on to the Episode 2 Stretch Goals.

The stretch goal idea is a superb idea to get the player base to fund Episode 2 and any following Episode but the point is to get us to spend the cash fast so Portalarium can get back into the office those like SorcerousSteve and others back to the grindstone so they can crank out EP2 in a reasonable amount of time.

With that said I would like to point out the old set of stretch goals that not one happened (if I remember correctly).

One of those was a "horse package". It was something I thought would happen along with the "Complete Boat Package" but they both fell terribly short of the goal to get it going.

Now episode two is upon us and the current stretch goal to fund EPISODE 2 is some scrawny colts. I could really care less if they grow from a colt to a full size riding horse. I really could care less. I wanna see the glory I'm about to purchase not a scrawny colt.

I've made a post about this subject maybe 3 or 4 years ago and I will say it again.

If you want to fund EPISODE 2 you, the devs, imho need the following which will sell for sure.

A full size Lord British Warhorse (like a Clydesdale) and the saddle and armor to go with it.

A full size DarkStarr Warhorse (like a Clydesdale) and the saddle and armor to go with it.

A huge scary Nightmare with flaming eyes, hooves and smoke (of appropriate stature) with saddle and armor and all the stuff.

A ghost horse (of appropriate stature ) with all the stuff.

An ordinary Warhorse with all the stuff.

I don't care if we get the horse first and put a pattern on it to make it another horsey later but just like getting the flashy stuff for Episode 1 in the pledges WE NEED SOME REALLY GLORIOUS STUFF NOW. this is my opinion to fund EPISODE 2.

And focus on one thing right now instead of splitting up our votes between two or more categories.

Unless you have one money pool objective for EPISODE 2 and have many things that we can buy ie Horses, fishing and boat stuff etc etc.

I the case of us purchasing the stretch goal stuff, let us buy one at a time or perhaps large package deals but to help make it easier on people when some of the player base cannot drop hundreds of dollars at once. Please lets us make payments over three or more months like you allowed us when we were buying pledges.

I want to see SOTA soar amongst the other games so I really mean the best when I give suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

2. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

The current 4 items (3 foals and a hitch) are the first items, not the only items, for the Episode 2 Stretch Goal: Mounts. Near the end of the Jul-06 telethon, Darkstarr said that they would be adding more items to the stretch goal; it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Daigoji Gai and Proteus Tempest like this.
  3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

It's the same scrawny colts like last time.

We need something that will grab somebodies eyes hearts and wallets.

We are funding episode 2 now. not just a single subject.

4. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

My concern with the ep 2 funding method is that it takes a long time to hit the funding goals and when they're finally breached the money has been spent on maintaining the company in the status quo and that they're still too short to get the extra hands in to do the extra work.

5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Thus why we need products that are really cool to make the sales and funding just like in the stretch goals.

I don't really wanna buy ordinary stuff.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yeah, not a fan of making the goals compete against eachother. either do one at a time or do some sort of ranked voting.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Afaik boats, pack animals, and flexable placment are already planned for episode 2.

Isnt the stretch goal just a goal to get mounts specifically in BY episode 2?

8. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I would have to look but I thought horses were in the lineup for EP2.

This looks like a fundraiser to me.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah, the stretch goal is to get the system in place within the game. And then can evaluate and expand upon it. Just like eventually we will get magical brews.

Developing and adding a mount system is just costly in resources.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  10. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Well I know there were a good bit of early stretch goals that a lot didn't even know were going on. I came and went and checked on the game from time to time playing other things until I learned the game world went persistent and totally missed it, lol. If it was persistent back then, I'm sure we'd have gotten a good bit more of it funded. My wife would've gone spend crazy much earlier.

As said in another thread mentioning getting money or sales to meet the stretch goal for mounts, they probably should increase the amount of pets you can display on a lot. If not wiling to do that, then at least for basements or mini-instances, like have sales for barns that act like the basement (in such that it's a mini-instance) and instead of being underground it would have the overworld/town open-air aesthetics (or whatever aesthetics for the town its in, like Bladewyke's cave biome... but if thats too much, just a standard open-air forest/plains setting). All older pledged stables would have this option added to it so you could click a door or part of it to access the mini-instance. There you could have an animal farm, zoo/preserve/museum of pets or w/e you prefer to call it. You would probably get more people buying pets or pet related. If that is a consideration, you could add all sort of items to support those things which could help funding in general, even beyond the mounts stretch goal.

11. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I like the idea of war horses. I'd also like to see the devs characters in game. Lord British at his castle addressing the mobs like they did in UO. Events that had a story line, like Lord British and Lord Blackthorn.

12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Sailing would have been more interesting as an stretch goal for episode 2.
    Unless that is already included in EP2 anyway, but i doubt it.

"Mounts" is something sota really does not need at this point.
    Also the population is way too low to reach 250k for something that is not really needed or wanted.

I mean the zones are small, i guess mostly for the overworld the mounts would be ok.
    But in zones? You get shot by fireballs and arrows all the time if you run through a zone, i don't think it is fun to get dismountet everytime some random dorky npc hits you :D

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree with the op very puny uninspiring offerings for this stretch goal. I have these already from when I purchased the complete stretch goal from years ago. Nothing about this stretch goal encourages. It doesn't mention cool things like ability to train them in skills trees to be a race horse that can jump hurdles etc or a battle horse for example. I just read limitations in the stretch goal description and it sounds like another barebones system not full featured.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Jousting tournaments with LB presiding. No combat, but yes joust. Hit the guy with your lance and you might knock him off.

Shroud is begging for jousting.

15. stile

stile Avatar

This

16. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

A mount system is extremely easy to do... much simpler than the $250,000 price tag.
    You can buy one off the Unity Asset store for $60.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  17. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

I think the $250,000 goal is unrealistic at this time, especially if it is only tied to the Mount implementation. I had not donated to it because I don’t really care much about mounts. If the $250,000.00 goal is tied to other types of stretch goals than they may want to release the other suggested items. Perhaps interest in the other items tied to the $250,000 will spur more donations. Because at the current rate the amount is going up each month it will not reach the $250,000 goal for a few years.

Now if I saw that there is the chance for new races, bosses, housing, boating, or other things that may interest me I would give mo' money!!

18. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

This is going from memory as I don't have the time to fish up the quote, so take the following with a grain of salt. IIRC, back when the Episode 1 goals were active, Start stated at one point that the $250,000 was related to the development cost of implementing the mount system. That seems incredibly high if true, as it's about the cost of 3+ developers working full time exclusively on the mount system for a year.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  19. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Give me a 3-month payment plan on a POT and I'm sold

20. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

250.000$ is definetly way too much.

100.000$ would have been ok imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.