Crafting XP needs an overhaul

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeadnGone, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I've always said you get too little for what you do or put into crafting but just noticed this...
    Crafting a "stage" with 50 boards only gives you... 500 producer xp?!?

That is insanely low for for what you put into getting those boards. That is one ore node's worth of xp in a tier 5+ zone.

I only noticed it because I thought it would give a decent amount. Perhaps these things should be noted in the crafting books as well so it's easier to see so we can balance this better.

2. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

A crafting stage with 50 boards gives 500 xp..... but a catapult that takes very little.. gives more... I've been baffled over this for quite sometime myself to be honest. And absolutely agree, it needs a re-balance on xp values given.

3. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

the crafting XP rewarded depends on the crafting skill required and not the ingredients used

and most basic recipes are skill ZERO so 500XP for the first declining to 25 after 31 solo-craftings....

Sorthious, Nelzie, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im currently advocating making sure fishing (as a crafting node) is compensated the same prod xp as every other node like ore, tree, critter (hides), cotton bush). I hope others start sounding this out. If they did, I would probably fish all the time to shake stuff up a bit. Bored of farming hides on animals... meh... Ill go fishing today.

Nikko, Witcheypoo, Nelzie and 4 others like this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ohhh please make fishing good

Nikko, Witcheypoo and Brugas like this.
  6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Please make fishing tha best! The End!

[​IMG]

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

We need boats for "the best"

Nikko, Boris Mondragon and Woodchuck like this.
  8. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I don't mind getting at them hides. They sale value to vendors is decent, I currently wear leather armor and leather is used for good looking furniture and clothing options that people tend to like. So... it's not so bad.

I almost skin every single animal that I find, even if some other guy whacks it and wanders off. (Which is super common.)

Duke Richard VonHaley likes this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

How much do you get for the boards?

Brugas likes this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

How many of something do you need to craft to get to the "normal" xp per item level? I was thinking about tracking carft xp (at least, a spreadsheet for my own use) but for the most par, I've only made one or two of things, so I don't know how many I need to make to figure out what the normal amount is to record.

Brugas likes this.
  11. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Pshhh... I don't even know. Seems like I'm going to have to replicate every single thing I do in game, look at in game, etc and put it all in spreadsheets just to have all this information and to keep an eye on things. I already have a dozen tracking towns, items, etc, guess I'm gonna have to do crafting as well... unless someone already has something setup/showing that. I didn't notice it in SotA HUD but haven't used it in a while.

I'm just making a bunch of decor to help my wife atm, if I was a bit more hardcore in the crafting department, then this would probably bother me even more. Respect for all the major crafters out there and the grind you go through!

Witcheypoo likes this.
  12. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Well aside from double xp times, usually the first time you make something (or fail) you'll get a bonus, so the second time, should be the normal xp value unless your log says you made an "exceptional" version (x10 xp I believe). Also, seems the bonus for first time crafting items seems to reset at times... not sure what/when, but seems like every release at least. Some of our more dedicated crafters could probably answer that one better than I can.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I thought the bonus tapered off, though. It starts high, then drops a bit per craft for X number of crafts, then it becomes normal. Maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Amber Raine and Brugas like this.
  14. Amber Raine

This is how it seems to work for me also, this is why it is good to keep it mixed up.. do not make 30 of the same item or you will get minimal xp back... make 2 or 3 of something, then switch it up to something else, then rotate between (as i do it) 3 or 4 items. By the time you get back to the first item it is recharged at the max xp given.

It still isn't nearly enough for some of the material required, but it works.

Again, have you seen what a catapult requires? And the xp gain from it? very little resources, very big xp gain (even bigger on double xp omg!). Or Obsidian carcasses?
    --- not only little resources, but no fuel consumption, and with fails still giving xp, oh yea this is amazingly crazy.. keep your skills low and just make these and fail all the time. You keep your resources *AND* gain mad xp pool.

I think it might need overlooking, at least a couple times ;)

Witcheypoo and Jaesun like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wait, it recharges? That's news to me.

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

While you are right about making 2-3 of a thing, I usually only do 2, unless its a lot of mats then I only do one, and if I know it does not give much and takes many mats I skip it, not worth it. But the part about the max exp being recharged, I have never seen that ever. There is a bonus to crafting a recipe the first 10-20 times, but after 2 it really drops off fast, and never resets. NOW, what could have happened is you used a different component is crafting something, for example, a wolf hat. You craft it the first time with normal leather straps and get the first time craft exp, you make a few more with leather straps and you can watch the exp per go down. THEN you make wolf hats using cloth straps and you will see it gives you that first time craft exp again ( at least it used to only a couple releases ago, and I dont think this has changed) .

So what does this mean? Well, you can craft a bronze spear head with all 6 different handles getting first time craft exp each time, then you can do the same for a copper head, iron head, ect ect.

I just want to add this in. I have seen many posts complaining that you have to gather to get the best producer exp gain, and I keep having to set that strait as it is false. Crafting a high level recipe worth 313 exp per shot non exceptional over and over with a good level base in the crafting skill to make it fast and better exceptional chance will net you more producer then you will ever get gathering. For example, making dragon stew with cooking blessing, ring of jones, cooking at level 120 and an expert table, you can prolly net over 300k per hour.

Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, okay. I'm not crazy.

Though I would point out that gathering is the cheapest way to get producer xp, which is likely what people mean. I make way more per hour crafting potions than I do gathering, but I've never had enough materials to keep that up for very long.

Elwyn, Nelzie and Mac2 like this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

It was not a talk about cheapest, but about how to get the best producer gains, so I do not think that is what they meant. You want some cheap good gains? tenebris hourbor, find the banana house, collect bananas, make dark or light yellow dye. Its like a creosote and 2 coal, and worth 150 non exceptional per.

Cora Cuz'avich and Elwyn like this.
  19. Amber Raine

I believe you may have either misunderstood what i was saying or I am misunderstanding what you are saying. Either way, let me try to explain this again:

You will only get the "First time crafting bonus" once. Per item, per material, as you pointed out, this is in fact a thing.

However, you will also at least I have noticed, begin higher in crafting something and then as you craft a couple of them you will notice your XP gain go down. At this point, switch to something else, craft a few, rinse repeat through in my case 3-4 different crafts.

You will only ever get the "first craft bonus" once. BUT, you will gain a little bit more when you craft something you can't crafted in a few rounds before it drops back down to minimum.

Also, gathering xp is great and free, but I do agree, crafting xp is far quicker. The resources on the other hand are the ...... to gather for mass crafting. Unless you are making potions, then just buy the reagents and go to town, easy... This is actually how I got my GM in alchemy.

20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am still not understanding what you are saying. I can make a necromancy gem for 150 exp, I have made over 20 of them, so it is down at the minimal exp I can earn from it. Now I can go craft 1000+ things, and come back and make that gem again and it will still be 150 exp. Being higher in the crafting skill itself does nothing to effect exp either other then giving you more exceptionals. The exp you get from a craft is a set amount, has nothing to do with level.

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.