Weights don't add up?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Orimus, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orimus

Orimus Avatar

Not so much a bug but an issue I think need to be addressed. I have performed a number of different smelting recipes and was noticing that the weight system doesn't make sense.

For instance:
    1 iron ore = 1 weight
    4 iron ore = are used to make one bar, so why does a bar weigh 10?
    2 bars = 1 sheet so how does one sheet weigh 8 ?
    1 bar is used to make 2 wire and this weighs 1 each.

I could go on but I think you get the point. how can a whole ever equal more than the sum of its parts, and why in some cases is there such a dramatic difference in weight lost in the crafting process?

Mordecai likes this.
  2. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Ya i was wondering about this to

3. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

that's lightweight stuff grab a backpack of books they weigh 10 each

4. Orimus

Orimus Avatar

It's not about how much it weighs it is about the realism aspect. when smelting ore it should loose weight not gain weight. The purpose of smelting is to "remove " impurities hence lighter weight not more than doubling it. if you are going to have weights for things they should make sense

5. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

It's early folks. Weights are just stubs for now.

6. Orimus

Orimus Avatar

if they are just stubs then why make them different at all why not make everything weigh the same. And regardless if they are just stubs for the time being it is an issue that may have just been over looked and the whole point of letting us play the pre-alphas is to catch things that they may have missed.

7. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

But then you didn't report it in the bug forum... interesting.

8. Dolnor

Dolnor Avatar

Encumbrance is not turned on yet. The Devs want everyone to try everything...including using everything they can find in the chests. Kinda hard to nest & place books if you can only carry 2 of them...due to encumbrance limiting your pack volumes.

Consider this a gift! Many games that I've tested already have all the limiting factors turned on...and the players can't test everything. Hence, at release the game content is only 75% tested and many bugs couldn't be squashed during alpha/betas.

TQQdles™

9. Orimus

Orimus Avatar

I did report this in the Bug forum It was moved. And I can understand why it isn't so much a Bug as it is not going to effect game play until encumbrance is turned on.

10. Orimus

Orimus Avatar

not having encumbrance on doesn't mean you shouldn't have the weights right. you can carry as much as you want so encumbrance has nothing to do with this issue. It is simply an issue of attention to detail and realism. If you are going to have weights they should make sense. When you smelt things they always loose weight, you can ask anyone who smelts in the real world. And that is any time you smelt whether you are smelting from raw ore to a bar or smelting bars into sheets some material is lost in the smelting process it just happens.

11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Well I'd suggest that most things should weigh less after smelting them, there is lost material and potentially more impurities burned off. I wouldn't expect to see a 1:1 ratio, especially for something that would likely have a lot of waste such as chainmail. (making the wire)

Orimus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.