Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Performance

Discussion in 'Release 56 Feedback' started by Aiyarree, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This release is giving me a considerable amount of hitching, even when I'm alone in an instance. It's a bit annoying to say the least.

2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Funny you say this, I disabled it like 2 days ago. And the performance is soooo much better with HT disabled.

I also just FYI: Made a simple change in driconf (mesa + amdgpu) not working for nvidia blobs.
    You can enable it with:
    Code:
    export mesa_glthread=true
    OR using driconf and options: "Performance->Enable Offloading GL driver work to a separate thread"

This has improved performance pretty much.

BUT, the hitching is really not a our problem. It is really a SotA problem.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Three Eighty-Six and Barugon like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There doesn't seem to be a way to disable HT on my Ryzen CPU.

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Hmm that is weird SMT should be possible to disable. Maybe its your BIOS, did you check for a BIOS update?

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It might be because I was looking for something that said "hyperthreading" and not SMT. Anyway, I'm going to try taskset -p 0x5555 <pid> when I get home tonight.

6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Ah yeah on AMD its called SMT :)
    Pinning processes to a specific core is mostly good if you also shield your OS on one core. Giving lets say core 0 for the full OS. And the other cores for a specific application.
    This will also put all the hardware interrupts to core 0 which is really good for performance on that userspace shielded application.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, yeah, I figured it out after a search.
    How do you accomplish that?

8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

You can add a grub option '/etc/default/grub'
    This will isolate all my cores 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 for my own started applications (with taskset) and setting OS to core 0 only.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll give that a try too.

10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Just do not forget to update grub2-mkconfig /boot/grub/grub.cfg

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Does the CPU number represent a logical CPU or a whole core?

Nm, figured it out (logical CPU). Also, on Ubuntu, it's grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Feeyo likes this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I've got not a one of those and still get hitching. (i5-2400, GT 1030, 24GB RAM, SSD, Windows 7 Pro)

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Sorry thought you was on Fedora, Ubuntu's gaming performance is pretty bad compared to other rolling release distro's. Hope you did not reinstall to Ubuntu after having those SotA client crashes once in a while :(

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I am using Fedora. I was just trying it out on a PC at work.

Feeyo likes this.
  15. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Sorry to interrupt again.
    Could you please enlight me again with a source?

Last detailed comparison i have seen gave me the impression that the linux distribution is almost negligible.
    --- It was Ubuntu 16.04 vs Win10 with 1060 and 1080 Nvidia on Phoronix about a year ago if i remember right. ---
    And i can not imagine that something changed that by more than one point percent. I should have heard that cry.

Even the performance increase granted by the mighty-morphing-solus-special-compiled-steam-stuff-libraries is about 3/4 of a frame in average.
    - and my information is that this lonly frame is the reason why pros benchmark games on solus -
    You can try to beat the **** out of Linux gaming by using Clear-Linux. But that is something for a real-nerd-of-doom.
    And if it is good for anything in the end is something to be determinate. Because the Nvidia drivers are proprietary.

If a game is optimized correctly it can even exceed windows performance. For Example Unigine and OpenArena.
    If the optimization is poor - nothing on earth can compensate this.
    If i remember right steam optimized the hell out of CS till Linux performance was the double of Windows at one point.
    - and jea - steam os i based on ubuntu if i remember right.

So optimizing for the Driver is the only thing that realy matters.
    Please correct me if i am wrong.

Alley Oop likes this.
  16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I was comparing Ubuntu with other more bleeding edge GNU/Linux distro's not comparing to windows.
    Solus is not at all mighty, they have been pulling out Clear Linux optimization flags and added those to a few packages of them. The problem with all these binary Distro's is that they can not optimize it enough while pre building their packages.
    As if you would enable flags that are supported for the later generation cpu chips, the packages will not be compatible anymore with older CPU chips. And this is also the reason why Clear Linux only runs on the newer CPU's.

You are right about the GPU blob (closed source drivers), but an average faster system (OS) will always run faster even with a closed source driver that tints the kernel. As the blob also calls system libraries and there for also kernel calls.
    Anyhow, I do not want to go into depths as this is not really the thread to do so.

To make the story short, nothing beats Gentoo GNU/Linux.
    No other distro will ever be as fast as a custom build Gentoo. As you can build the OS from the bottom fully optimized against your hardware flags. Just by adding march=native -O2 or -O3 against every package you build with GCC.
    IF you would compare a Ubuntu with its default mesa + xorg + and open source drivers against a rolling release distro with default mesa + xorg + open source drivers you will notice a huge performance increase already.

To make things clear, Steam OS uses Debian as far as I know.
    And yes Steam hired a few hardcore GNU/Linux developers to port their main games from directx to openGL.
    The performance on GNU/Linux OpenGL vs their DirectX was performing way better.

17. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

/signed
    Was not meant as an attack. I absolutely think you are right.
    You will never hear me saying something other.

But what we are talking about in pure numbers?
    Thats what i am interested in. And you have not answered this.

One Frame? Can't imagine more than two.
    And what is the price? 99% more work - think that is by far not enough for what? 1% 2% faster system?

Not to mention that if you have any problem - lets say Steam/SotA/GoG... Everyone supports Ubuntu LTS.
    With Gentoo you are on your own. And by the way - is it even possible to install .deb files without conversion?

Again - my respect for you. You drive a Super-Sport-Car.
    Faster than everything else. And you can afford all the maintenance cost and special-fuel.
    Great for you. But as a daily driver for every-one? Hardly.
    I rely like my Toyota-SUV. It's master of non. Ok. But Jack of all trades.

Edit:
    I even get a customizing script direct from my notebook-manufacturer to install and optimize all my hardware. Including but not limited to: GSM/Special Keys/Fingerprint.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

no need, port provides both a deb and a simple tar.gz

Barugon and Feeyo like this.
  19. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Edit:
    *** Deleted ***
    This i know - and it don't answer the question.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  20. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

My post was not meant at all as a defensive counter attack.
    I don't have any specific numbers for you, as I have not done benchmark tests.
    But I can tell you, that the tests I did on Ubuntu VS Gentoo is pretty jaw breaking.
    A month ago, I was so fed up with the hitching. That I made the decision to test Ubuntu on my main gaming machine.
    As Ubuntu is the "official" supported GNU/Linux on SotA.

Also as using the closed source AMDGPU-PRO is almost impossible on Gentoo, I thought you know, **** it. Lets just give it a try.
    Running SotA with the opensource drivers on Ubuntu was just utterly crap, the FPS was about 33 where on Gentoo (~amd (Unstable)) was 45-55. Running the closed blob drivers was even worse. They are using pretty old modified libraries for their blob.
    Also the kernels for the standard GNU/Linux distro's are build over bloated, they have like 80% enabled. Although this is normal, as they need to support all kind of hardware for all user cases.

FYI, I did not enable any other ubuntu repositories for latest mesa, libdrm, xorg and amdgpu drivers. You can do this and then you will probably have a much better performance on ubuntu then the default packages.

As @Alley Oop said, you can use the .tgz file and just extract it anywhere you want.
    Yes, Gentoo takes a lot of time maintaining mostly compiling every package you need. If you have a problem, there is this very good community (forum, IRC) where you can ask support. Your not on your own.
    And for most users that just want to install and have a ready to use Desktop fast, Gentoo is not for them I agree. But then again, if you are running GNU/Linux you already are a kind of different nerd. ;)

With Fedora you are already a big step further as with Ubuntu, Fedora is an awesome desktop distro. They have bleeding edge packages, and mostly its very stable.
    Not too forget they are very Open Source, non of their official repo's support closed source packages. They even have a nifty cool tool called "tuned" to configure you system to specific profiles for your need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.