Choosing the right skill trees for my character?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by TheArcher, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheArcher

TheArcher Avatar

Howdy,

Are there any guides or tutorials out there that help with deciding which skill trees to choose for a character? If I wanted to use a bow as my main (only?) attack, is there any page with advice on what other skill trees might be useful, and which I should avoid? While I've made good progress in the archery tree, I'm pretty sure I've dabbled in too many other trees so far, such as a couple magic trees and several crafting trees (blacksmith, woodworking, and textiles). I may also need to just "reroll" my character as it were.

(Edit to indicate I'm trying to decide which trees, as opposed to which skills in the archery tree.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

If you want to be Ranged this may help.
    Ranged Combat Guide

I am ranged also, if you friend me in game I may be able to answer some questions.

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

Ok there is no need to reroll with there not being a skill cap you can level all skills, an I recommend doing that in all the spell trees. me personally I am taming/earth for my special but I use ranged (also got some blunts gm'd or at 90 an will finish them off later) but anyways raising attunement in the spell trees raises your resist to that skill tree so its a good idea to do. Right now I got something like 70 gm'd in skill tree, with another 8 in the production tree.

4. TheArcher

TheArcher Avatar

I see. Yes, I had assumed I'd only be able to get a total of N levels across all 6 tree types (magic, combat, strategy, gathering, refining, & production). It sounds like you can max out everything. Thanks!

Jaesun likes this.
  5. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

So I could if I wanted and had the time literally GM everything?

6. Vero

Vero Avatar

Yep!

there were times that a 'few' almost had all gm'd :p

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

And when you died you would have a massage pooled xp loss to support all of those gms. Or the gms would all fall 1 level with a xp pool of zero.

8. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

And is it every spell that you gm now rather than just say Fire? Apologies for hijacking the thread, last question.

9. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

As already said: yes.
    Some other notes:
    - GM is not the end, you can level higher at exponential costs. Some skills in your primary school should be definitely higher for "end game" players
    - if you had put XP in a skill you do no longer need it is usually still best you if keep it. Unlearning will only give a fraction back (unless you have a potion or the devs explicitly set it). That XP does not hurt (except for death penality)
    - adventuring and crafting schools are independent, you have different XP pools. You can level both as you like, dependent on your pool size.
    - there are lots of secondary skills you need. E.g. most from focus, tactics and subtlety. DEX is an archers primary skill, but strength, health, focus are important too. There are only few skills without benefit (like offhand if you only use a bow...)
    - you need armor skills (light armor probably better for an archer, but heavy has some benefits too. You can only use one at the same time, but switch between)
    - even if you don't want to use magic you want to get the passives from some schools like earth or life
    - dont forget healing
    - decide on the 2 specs. The specs are currently the only skills where you have to make a choice
    - as a summary: you want to level (almost) everything at least a little bit, you should focus on ranged and your 2nd spec and level the secondary skills depending on the remaining XP.
    Nothing wrong if you level something else, you might also want to change your role later.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Start focused on exactly what you want and dont skimp on defense items like passives, buffs and shields. In fact, they are more important then your wep skills. I suggest new people start with archery since its "easy mode" (not the most powerful, but the easiest to play). Then switch to a melee you want and last, switch to pure magic (hardest).

This is an open system, later on you'll want to just play around and add stuff for fun. Swordsmen sure.... we'll throw on a few fire skills... then ice... then earth...

Nothing to stop you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.