Don't Reward this Behavior... bring the community together.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chrystoph Reis, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Notwithstanding the anti-newcomer hammer blows from the vociferous SOTA forum clique I agree with the all-for-one and one-for-all sentiment of the OP. I would prefer a game that transcends playground elitism. If this was my product, however, I would have had a character wipe at launch. That would have sorted the preening peacocks out.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Why would anyone join such a group?

Cordelayne and Bambino like this.
  3. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I saw a UT group that said must have 700 hp to join... lol

I also dislike party leaders who criticize other members because they are not working "hard enough" (according to them) and they call you out in party chat, and nobody else agrees. I'm not talking about afks. I was just a little weak compared to them and died a couple times. . . only ran into a couple of those a-holes in upper tears, but the majority are great people.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@gtesser Interesting.... Mind if I ask what your avatar's name is ?

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I can't believe people are being criticised for this and being told who they should group with.

I don't run UT often but when I do it depends on what I'm after at the time. Sometimes its an open invite, grab a full group of 8 regardless of level and just go. Other times its 3 of us all 110+ because we want to get it done in 10 minutes and go back to doing something else. Sometimes I want company and people to talk to, other times I don't want to babysit and have to herd a bunch of lower levels (some of which actually make it harder by being there).

This isn't elitism its just personal preference.

Stop trying to tell people who they should group with and trying to label people as elitist. I should be allowed to create a group for adventure level 110+ same as I should be allowed to create a group for under level 50, no women allowed, no guild officers allowed (cause we are talking about you all), no Yorkshire men or whatever else I want to put down as a restriction. What other people do with the looking for group isn't effecting you.

Either don't join, start your own or stop whinging about it.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's....pretty basic LFG stuff your are complaining about.
    You can find things like that in pretty much every game that has an LFG.
    There is nothing SotA connected about it.
    I really find it hard to see this as some kind...any kind of issue.

Brugas, kaeshiva and Montaigne like this.
  7. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

I see many players in random groups that have very good looting skills...

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I struggle to find an issue.

A person has purchased a copy of the game and respects the ToS.......who is anyone to then tell that person how they are to play?

The creation of groups stipulating criteria is not new within MMOs, it's not toxic, it happens for a reason. It enhances the gameplay and enjoyment of the one who creates the group along with those who choose to join. Anyone is free to start a group and I strongly suggest that those who are not happy about seeing a group with a level attached to just start their own.........people will join.

Trying to force people to play a certain way in the name of 'community' will always have undesirable outcomes.

9. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

@Chrystoph Reis

I am so sorry about that! Thank you for putting me on the spot. That was the fourth LFG I ran in a row. The first three I opened up to any level and we had a great time. We all died a few times, but since I was limited in playing time that day I wanted my last run to be quick an easy so I only posted for 90+ even though we had two AL 50s in our group before trying to get the last 2 people. I am sooo sorry about that. I didn’t realize it would lead to such a bad impression on the community bc I only wanted to play through quickly so I could get to work.

I never meant any harm by it. I promise I won’t do it again. I won’t even use LFG anymore. I didn’t realize new people were quitting the game because one party was looking for people at a higher level. I really never meant any harm by it please please forgive me. I only wanted to play the game and have fun. I am truly sorry for this. Next time I will check with you in how I should word my LFG before I post one. Actually since you pointed this out perhaps I need to take a break from the game since I cause sooo much discontent with wanting to play through a scene quickly. I should have just put up a LFG for Tier 1 or 2, I am sorry; I really didn’t know I shouldn’t play the way I do.

Please accept my apology I will play according to what you want. I promise I will only group up with new players and if I want to group in high zones I will only IM my friends. I didn’t realize that LFGs were scrutinized so hard and would cause so much animosity among everyone else. I really only wanted to have fun and play. Please find it in your heart to forgive me!!

Thank you very much XOXOXOXO

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Lvl 120 pure death mage with light armor and focus specs lfg plz

Adv level deffinately isnt everything, our guild lets “low level” people run tears all the time.

But i also hate the “you cant do this unless you have this” mentalility if the stuff required is not even a requirement.

Its kinda silly that the hands down best xp in the game is also the absolute quickest and easiest, but only for higher levels.

He shouldnt make it harder, he should make it take longer. Nvm that wouldnt help either.

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

WOW is someone seriously complaining about this?

Level 90 requirement to join a group doing a zone where some of the mobs are still "yellow" at level 115+ ....seems pretty reasonable to me. Considering the difficulty of the content, I would think most folks under a certain level threshold wouldn't be able to meaningfully contribute - the group leader has drawn that line at 90. Why? Because he or she wants a successful group full of people who can actually contribute to the team to complete the objective. That is logical and reasonable. Maybe the team leader is only mid 90s himself, and cannot solo the scene, and needs others of the same strength to tackle it together. There could be a load of reasons. I am actually MORE likely to join a group such as this because there's a better chance of it not being a low level free for all.

I don't like excluding people either, and it sucks as Arkah has mentioned to be told "you can't come because you don't have x build or you are too low level." But we saw this start to happen with control points, even though we didn't have the tool, because the group needed certain elements TO BE SUCCESSFUL. You couldn't go stand on a CP with a bunch of level 80s and expect to not die.

Level isn't everything, but its the only real indicator we have of a player's capability. My level 82 alt, with an extremely focused build, wearing my gear leftovers can probably outperform a level 90 wearing whatever random crap they came across quite easily, but there's no way for a group leader soliciting random people's participation to know that this is a character with corporate sponsorship operated by someone with considerably more game experience than her level indicates.

There are also some level 100+ people I've grouped with who, it would appear, got to such levels by riding tears coattails and have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

Bottom line - some people want to babysit, other people don't - if you disagree on the philosophy, make your own group.

12. Elay

Elay Avatar

I live in Yorkshire!... so, yeah, fair point...

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Oh no, another one!

We should start a Yorkshire-only tears group!
    Hows that for exclusive!

Mishras, Witcheypoo and Elay like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Soon there will be build and deck and gear requirements... It's inevitable...

Elitism will find a way.

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Maybe.

But I'd rather a group advertise for what they -need- to be successful, than end up with a bunch of random folks who can't get it done or can't get it done efficiently. That's no good for anyone.

I don't think that's elitism, its just good sense.

16. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I used the LFG feature for the first time yesterday, and experienced UT for the first time as well. I'm not 100, or even 90 (76, actually)...but I got into a good group of people who were awesome; friendly, informational, helpful. They didn't have a 90+ or 100+ in front of their LFG, though I did notice several of those, and thought that it was regular (because I've seen that sort of thing in other MMO's). During that time, I earned more XP in one hour than would take me to accrue during the whole weekend. And that's even after I died once for being over zealous with a very red lich who decided he didn't like me hitting on his back. My bad.

Shout out to the Havoc group. You definitely made my first time LFG and UT experience wonderful.

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This has absolutely *nothing* to do with being elitist what-so-ever.

2 weeks ago the dev's made UT harder. It now takes everyone in the group to run it now, no more alts, low level people or 10% attention. It is simply required now that you are a higher level player, if not you will die. Since this change, I have seen the low level players in our group chain die because they can be near one shot now.

I didnt even run UT this weekend because the issue is that people still join with 500 hp and group leaders are allowing it which has lead to me dying and loosing 400K xp a pop doing so. I ran The Rise solo all weekend and still got atten. I dont die in the Rise.

In short, Chris already ruined UT and hes made it clear hes gonna bury is soon. Fine, no more UT for me.

I dunno, this thread is giving me that social engineer instigating feeling, trying to rile people up over nothing.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think the only real answer is to make other scenes that you can achieve the same thing with, but the same skills used in upper tears are not very effective.

More high output areas that require vastly different strategies. It wont solve the player-made level gating but at least there will be more groups and more likely non-gated groups forming.

Mariah’s Overlook is overdue for something like a multi-wave scenario...

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If you take the intuitive to make lead and organize a party you should be able to make it how ever you would like period. There are other factors as well ive joined several group where 5 people were obvious carries and we really needed a strong 7th or 8th player, ive seen groups 4 man this and need high levels if they want good xp flow. I've also seen groups push for 20 min attenuations so if u dont like how other groups are set up make your own its that simple.

Side note: 90 is pretty easy to achieve now with UT and dbl xp weekends a regular thing.

Synergy Blaize, Brugas and Witcheypoo like this.
  20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Unless you work weekends....

Brugas and Brass Knuckles like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.