Aether Recipes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeddicus Zorander, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

Hi,
    Curious if anyone has a recipe for Aether Corpion Poison Glands?... or the Orb that drops from the liches... and stuff that drops off the dragons... anyone have a clue?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think it's all discoverable, so you don't need an actual recipe. Also, I think the aether corpion poison is 2 glands and 3 flasks (although I'm not completely sure).

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  3. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Holy ****

I know so little about crafting, the mere NOTION of just being able to GUESS a recipe and discover it, is blowing my MIND right now.

Holy moly stromboli and cannoli, Batman, how could I have been so blind.

Too much moonshine, maybe.

Barugon likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

A long time ago, all recipes were discoverable. People just posted the ingredients online, so they changed it. Now, only a small number are discoverable and the rest are either purchasable at NPC merchants or (for the really good stuff) only available as loot drops.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

You can - but only on some things - and there isn't really any consistency about what you can and can't.
    For example, if you know that to make wolf meat, you put a single wolf carcass on the table, you would think that logic would allow you to 'discover' doing bear meat the same way, but alas no! You must travel to a specific town miles away and buy the recipe from an npc - can't even be taught it. You would think if you knew how to make bronze, you could also work with white iron, constantan, meteoric using the same logic, but no - can't even buy those, must go and kill 10,000 bandits until you find the one that has the specific recipe you need in its pocket. For every. Single. Item.

Discovery - It was a really great system - it was before "teaching" was a mechanic, if you wanted to teach someone a recipe you told them what ingredients to put on the table. You know, had an actual conversation not 15 minutes of trade window clicking that neither of you look at.
    Yes, websites were created with lists - but it was still a much better system than we have now. Because in order to get the recipe into your book, you had to get the ingredients for and actually make the item.
    You would spend a lot more than the 250g a 'shop' recipe costs making stuff, of course, but apparently it was decided that crafters needed another cash sink (which is so amusing it brings me to near tears).
    This was back when all of the recipes were all buyable at 250g, so it was a bit stupid then (and still is).

Then came "teachability" so ...now you can't discover this on your own but another player who knows it can teach you. Which would have been a great system were it not riddled with inconsistencies with random things being, for some reason, no longer teachable or discoverable, some things being teachable but not-reteachable, and let us not forget, that if you discovered stuff (which was the main way people learned recipes prior to that) then even if it was teachable YOU couldnt teach it unless you went and bought the piece of paper.

Then they decided nope, we're going to move all the recipes and hide them away where people have to travel all over the place to find a specific one. There have actually been several iterations of "recipe hide and seek" which has resulted in a lot of out of date information lists on where to find things. Same thing they did with seeds really, presumably to get people to visit other areas but the reality is its just created a huge frustration trying to find stuff.

During this time they added some "drop only" recipes - mostly poisons / stat potions, again with mixed and completely inconsistent teachability (and drop rates). And this triggered the brilliant idea to ....take all of the secondary materials and remove them from vendors/teachability completely and add them as "rare drops from rare drop supply bundles" creating the largest barrier to entry to crafting yet to date. Players, of course, capitalize on this, asking tens of thousands of gold for a piece of paper which, after purchasing it, you of course destroy so no one else can read it. This has baffled me since day 1, why they would make recipe acquisition such a tedious, complicated, costly, and annoying issue. New crafter feedback is pretty consistent in the HATRED of this system, in fact, when faced with the prospect of having to spend what will likely add up to millions of gold and hundreds of hours hunting these recipes down to get a 'complete' recipe book a lot of people just give up on crafting entirely.

Honestly, I think it would be better if we scrapped the whole thing and went back to discovery, perhaps with a few rare drops if absolutely necessary for the artifact stuff (although, since you'd need to gather artifact components to discover it, I don't understand why this piece of paper is even necessary). Either that or allow recipes to earned via some crafting methodology. Just yesterday, someone had gathered the three "cylinders" to make one of the artifact staffs, and was excited to do it, then instantly deflated when I told them they'd need a rare, boss-drop-mostly recipe (in addition to of course the artifact components).

New Aether recipes - you can't have them in your book, unless you actually get the materials and figure them out. If you have the materials, you don't need a rare drop piece of paper to know what to do with them. This is how it should be really for everything.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Nikko, Spoon, Woodchuck and 1 other person like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also for anyone new other players can trade you recipes that are tradeable and believe me this is a large amount. I'll be back in the game August 23rd. I'm happy to trade all recipes I can to anyone. It saves you a lot of gold. To trade recipes to anyone open up your recipe book with the "b" key and then open a trade window by right clicking another player, then drag the recipe icon from the recipe book to the trade window. This can go on for pages. It takes awhile but it really helps. I'm Majoria in the game and I'm happy to help anytime.

Barugon and Woodchuck like this.
  7. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

@kaeshiva That was a surprisingly good read, and response. Much thanks for the insight into the frustrative environment of crafting a single dang thing.

I look forward to the coming months

8. Complicationatbirth

Complicationatbirth Avatar

Aether corpion poison is 2 glands and 3 flasks,

Aether Lich Orb, not sure if there is a recipe, this is a usable item already

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  9. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Is the orb in game? Farmed Aether liches for several hours a couple of weeks ago and got several drops of the Aether potion that is supposed to come from the dragons. We assumed they had screwed up the loot and put the wrong thing on the liches.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I would prefer sort of a compromise. "Low" recipes could be bought at the appropriate vendor. Higher level recipes could be purchased from a master trainer, but would require a quest for the trainer to make them available. Anything that requires a really rare ingredient would be discoverable, given that you've probably already put in a fair amount of time tracking down the ingredients. I'm also fine with some recipes being only rare drops, but only if they drop consistently from certain mobs, like the unicorn potions or the short medieval shirt.

kaeshiva likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The orb is a super rare artifact.

12. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Have you ever seen one drop? I know the lichens are dropping the potions. They aren't supposed to drop the potions so something is wrong with the loot profile.

Barugon likes this.
  13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Yeah. She and her husband Scoffer do that a lot. Very smart. I agree with her on all of it. Once again. This is why I personally will NEVER post a recipe on my vendor for anything over a couple thousand gold pieces. In fact, most of the recipes I put on my vendor are going to be under 1000. I can't even stand it when recipes are sold for 15k or more. Of course, it is the people that allow it. If you buy it, you're letting it happen. I've no idea how people can justify spending 100k on like 5 or 6 recipes. No way.

kaeshiva, Tila Tenderfoot and Jaesun like this.
  14. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I sell recipes at 5k, or lower for less desirable/easily obtainable. If it's one you can normally purchase (which is rare, I don't think mobs drop any, but there are a few spots where you can find them) I sell for 200. Obsidian recipes for 50, since they can only be found,but are random. 1k if it's a drop, but not super desirable/useful. 5k for everything else. Next release they're supposed to get a value, I'll probably base my price on that, with 5k still being the maximum.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.