Steam reviews needs some love :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xee, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I love Shroud a lot and use the in game launcher but I still like to follow a lot of other forums just cause I like to pass on my love to others. That said I would really like it for all you guys that love this game to post some nice reviews. a lot of the ones I read were old and negative but still show up fresh on the steam pages. Would be nice to see more of what is in here in there :) Also well at it hit MMORPG. lets show people the true colors of this ever evolving great game.

Cheers.
    Xee

2. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I think a lot of people have already reviewed and Steam have finally fixed it so that updating your review no longer games the recent reviews. Also, reviews from accounts activated by keys don't affect the review score (which is how most of us have Steam copies of SoTA).

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ok, I am just wondering. I understand passion for a game. I understand wanting the game to do good. I just cannot understand calling for people to try to change the outcome of reviews. The reviews are the reflections of the users. Its hard medicine to swallow sometimes to realize what the reviews reflect. Things that will change the review will be listening to those critics and addressing the problems. Not smothering the critics with fanfare, fanbois or white knighting. Actually respond to what they are saying, at least if its just a response.

4. Godra

Godra Avatar

True, but being able to update your review, once those problems are addressed because the game is more positive now, could attract those gamers who passed over the game at first because of the original negative review. This is also important and should be considered.

Mhtic, Nikko, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Right, I need to update my review, thanks.

Applerust, 3devious and Jaesun like this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I know a lot of people say that it isn't, or give various justifications why not, but the review score -is- important.
    Just the other day one of my "steam friends" (people I don't really talk to, but who I've friended from various games we've played together at some point) messaged me, saying:

Steam always shows you logging onto Shroud of the Avatar. I looked into it but the reviews make it seem so bad. You clearly play it a lot, tell me about it...?

We had a nice conversation which resulted in him downloading the trial and playing all weekend. I'm not sure if he'll stick with it or not, but he'd been on the fence about downloading it for months largely because of the reviews.
    They matter - whether we think they should, or not.

If you haven't done so it really is worth taking the time to share your experience.

I don't think Shroud gets a fair showing or that the description on the store paints a clear picture of just how immense the game is.

For example, if you go look at the steam page right now, the top news item is the R56 restart and rollback. Really? I mean, they rolled back like ....20 minutes of gameplay, tops. It wasn't a big deal at all most people probably weren't done patching yet when server went down. And yet its the top update - which gives a REALLY bad impression - the word rollback is scary. And most people probably do't even know it happened.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  7. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I usually read reviews for stuff on Steam when considering a purchase but usually only give it any credit if there's a large number of them; is 780 reviews large enough? probably for a 'mixed' status though I usually just scan read reviews aswell. The price tag also cuts interest levels, many MMO style games nowadays with RMT are maximum of 30% of the starter costs of SotA.

Just reading the current 'recent' reviews they seem to be from adolescent fanboi's with 2-5hrs game play, therefore not really a strong persuader for many seasoned MMO'rs who may want to check it out. Steam doesn't make you aware of the try before you buy feature and tbh why should they so without any proper advertising potential players will be unaware they can do so directly, via SotA website with a free trial button.

Like @kaeshiva eluded to a few of my mates I've gamed with for numerous years in comparable games have commented at the time I spent in SotA when we meet up (usually in ridicule), a few have tried it out and run away mainly for the reasons given on Steam reviews. A couple have popped back in a couple of times and dipped back out unimpressed with the advancements and until recently there was only one who stuck with it until LoA UO server popped up and even he's disappeared, I fear for good.

Can the Steam review be altered long term? Sure other games have succeeded but it need to overhaul the key dynamics many of us and the Steam and YouTube reviewers have highlighted and that just doesn't seem to be addressed to the levels needed. Instead many of the current high value RMT player base call for additions / tweaks to current and new features that won't IMHO encourage new players to try the game and alas the perception is that their voices still seem to be the ones heard the loudest.

8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Exactly where I was going with this. I know when I started long ago there was nothing in the game short of skels and spiders with no content. If I wrote my review on that then why would anyone want to play. Instead I took leave came back and been here every since. Every patch has addressed issues , added content , and made things run smoother. Dev's are listening to the players and bringing in many things that make most of us love this game more every patch. Why wouldn't one want to tell others how far along things have come and to help get people to try the game again or trial it. The more people that try today are more likely to play vs that of a year or two ago. It helps grow the community and the game further which is a win for all.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Brugas like this.
  9. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Games change and evolve that's why Steam has reviews and recent reviews.

moxiepilot and Brugas like this.
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

There is nothing wrong with organizing people who like a game to post honest reviews about it. How is that trying to change outcomes of reviews when.... they are actually just reviews. Simple fact is that the "black knights" are vastly more organized then the white knights which organizing is like trying to herd cats. If you doubt it, search every review every created for SOTA in the past 5 years and you will see the same 5 "black knights" (caugh... social engineers) ripping it apart with the same ol same ol' attacks.

On a side note, I got banned over on RAW lol, they couldn't deal with the 5 sentences I posted over there in a week lol!!!

11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I don't get it. What do these people get by repeatedly trashing SOTA? I've noticed the social engineering going on for years. Doesn't make sense. I must be missing something.

12. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

I believe reviews are important on both sides. I just reviewed the game and hope to turn it positive one day. I will also ask my friends to review in hopes their issues, which were different than mind, get addressed.

I do not think if you love or dislike the game you should be trying to sell people. Just give an honest review.

Vladamir Begemot and Brugas like this.
  13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

My review:

“SotA is da Best! The End!”

[​IMG]

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Not one particular party is organized.

People need to realize that there's no vendetta going on; people just like to be heard so they'll repeat their feelings over and over again. If people are constantly being pushed away, ignored, censored or generally have a feeling of being ripped off, they'll shout out the loudest.

People generally don't like the _Raw subreddit because, if they post anything remotely positive, they'll get really negative responses (and borderline attacks)... which is what happens here but with negativity... before you even consider forum moderation.

If positive feedback and fanboy-ish posts were to be censored the same way that negative feedback is, the people writing them would shout out just as loudly; it doesn't happen because it's positive. It only gets censored if it's attacking someone and, even then, it's not always the case.

It's the attempt at organization (on any side of the coin) that makes one believe that they're herding cats... and that's because people don't always share one's beliefs despite them saying the similar things.

15. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Hah, sorry Gix. I just want to point out that it is not even close to being the same by any stretch of the imagination for the "positive" or "negative" posts here on these forums as compared to off-site places for reviews and talk about the game. Soooo not even close. You would never get the trash talk here like you do there for any side. They have straight up bannable attacks on people who give any kind of positive input which gets quickly dog-piled. They get threatened with attacks, they get called cultists, and everything that would normally get moderated here pretty quickly is glossed over there. I mean they will just outright attack and troll you for no other reason than doing so over there. The stuff here is child's play by comparison.

Just want to put that in a better perspective.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Metalton like this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I like what you say most the time but you are completely wrong with this... oh ya they have vendettas. How would you explain a handful of people who have not played the game in years yet spend hours a day attacking it to the tune of tens of thousands of posts filled with walls of text with worse conspiracy theory then our presidential elections now?

17. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Reviews are what they are for a reason. If someone cares enough one way or another, they leave a review. Asking folks to review when they've already concluded that it's not worth their time isn't going to yield many that change their mind.

Also, asking for good reviews is sad.

MrBlight likes this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I still need to write up a steam review for this, but I won’t until QUEST SYSTEM 2.0 is finally introduced and working smoothly. I have tons of hours in the game there, but I stopped using the steam app a long while ago.

3devious and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

From both sides, those who are championing a particular view tend to be aggressive. Now, if one group seems to be outnumbering the other, you get what I described in my previous post. The difference with @Brugas ' description is that I believe that the level of aggressivity (like _raw's or other forums) is irrelevant as it's directly tied to their feelings towards the subject (ie: the game, devs and/or anyone who's trying to silence them).

@2112Starman Because their view on the game hasn't really changed and it's easy for anyone to stay in touch with particular forums and subreddit. I, for one, will never buy another EA or Ubisoft game and I'll make it my business to share my discontent with the companies and/or their products but it's not like I'd seek an excuse (going from forums to forums) to rant either. Now, that's not to say that there aren't people who are crazy enough to have a vendetta, I just don't believe that's the issue concerning reviews.

I still stand by what I said: no one's more organized than the other.

That said, if I were to write a review, I personally wouldn't be saying nice things despite my increasing level of enjoyment.

Xul Rasha and MrBlight like this.
  20. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

Elaborate please... why is saying "if you like this game go give it a positive review".... or "if you like that restaurant, give it a positive review on yelp".... or "If you like that car, give it a positive review"... Why is that sad in this modern age where people do most of their searching on a product on the internet?

ebonmark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.