Camera auto follow

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Greythane, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greythane

Greythane Avatar

Can we get a toggle to have the camera automatically follow us? I appreciate having the camera fixed unless I move it but I'd appreciate having the camera stick behind me when I spin around. Makes alot of things so much easier so like auto roll (which is great btw), an auto follow camera option would be a great quality of life addition

Thanks!

2. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

Doesn't the toggle cursor key do this already? If I am understanding you right. Mine is bound to the G key and middle mouse, not sure if that is default.

Sorthious likes this.
  3. Greythane

Greythane Avatar

Try this. Put yourself on follow to someone. Take your hands off the keyboard and ask them to run around. You will not be able to see them when they go behind you because your camera will not turn when you do. You will run all over but your camera will stay in the fixed position. I want the camera to automatically stay looking over my shoulder and turn when I do.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Irony. I've been begging for us to be able to move the camera some other direction when running.

I agree on your point.

5. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

Yeah I'd love this feature, I play Ark Survival Evolved a lot and it has a selfie cam key that allows us to do just that. Would be a great addition to Shroud.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  6. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

I've been asking for a free-look camera for ages (2015), but there is always the complaint that it would take too much work when any type of rigid body cameras are suggested to be modified/added. For me, moving from almost any other game that has a first-person/third-person, it is beyond extreme annoyance and frustration that I can't bind ALT to a free-look mechanic so I can run around and swing my camera around. I've said it before, your avatar has to turn it's entire body just to look to the side. It seems like he has a stiff neck with no flexibility.

EDIT: For clarification, you can stand still and look around, but cannot while in movement and that makes all the difference.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You already can. I use might right-mouse button to go forward in combination with A and D keys to straffe, while moving my mouse around to look off to my left or right. I've been playing since Oct2016 and it's been an option since then. There are two modes for moving around. One is Cursor Select(if that is the proper name) and the other Free Look.

• Make sure that, under Controls, you have Use Mouse to Move selected, so you can run using the Right-Mouse Button.
    • Check to see what you have Toggle Cursor set to; this will switch you between Cursor Look and Free Look modes.
    • Use your mouse to pan around while using the Right-Mouse Button to run.
    • If you want to look from side to side while running forward use the A or D(default keys) to straffe.
    • There are also keys to Rotate Left and Rotate Right while moving, however these would be awkward in Free Look mode.
    • You can also use Auto-Run so you can look in all directions while running

8. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@Sorthious: I've been playing since 2015, You are completely missing what I am talking about. Have you played any other third-person/first-person games in the past five to ten years?

Currently, the avatar is actually turning it's entire body while looking to the left or right. Want look behind yourself? You have to turn your entire body around.

Here is how the Free-Look mechanic works. You run in the direction you want, then you hold a hotkey, such as alt, to look around while you continue holding your direction such as W. With ALT held and moving your avatar with your WASD keys, you can move your mouse around to look. This would work whether you are in you are in cursor mode or not.

9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I think the problem is how you are defining Free Look. The game has Free Look, it doesn't however have a Free Rotatating Camera, which is what it seems you are suggesting. I could see the looking left or right being an option though. Maybe you could have a key bind for Left and then using Shift+keybind would look right, or have seperate binds for each. I think the game tries to keep the mechanics somewhat realistic(within the context of the magical world), so a Look Behind toggle would kind of defy the possible articulations that the human neck can achieve; unless of course you mount rear-view mirrors on your shoulders, or your neck is broken. ;)

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

You seem confused as to what the Free-Look mechanic is in contemporary games based on the articles you quoted. I've made at least a couple detailed post about this and it is more realistic than an avatar with a back or neck disability that prevents him to turn his head. Quoting a Wikipedia definition and an old Mario 64 article does not do this common game mechanic justice. Go play a contemporary game and you will see what I mean. It does not have to be a 360 view and can correlate to the extent that the neck can factually turn. That would suffice. I can walk and look behind myself. If you can't, I suggest a chiropractor. To clarify, definitely not asking for this:
    [​IMG]

Go watch any game on Twitch that's come out in the past ten years and you will see what I'm talking about. The Free-Look mechanic does not exist in Shroud of the Avatar. WoW, ESO, Fortnite, PUBG, Miscreated, H1Z1, FFXIV, Dead by Daylight, CS: Go... Literally every game in my library made in the past five years has this game mechanic. So, there is no need in debating on what this mechanic is.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I know what your talking about, it's just that the terminology you are using is wrong. But, have it your way.

12. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

You can say it's wrong all you want. Thousands of game developers say otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.