QUESTION TIME! What keeps you playing this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snakyy, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snakyy

Snakyy Avatar

QUESTION TIME! What keeps you playing this game?

What keep you playing this game over all? It is interesting world? Combat system? Exploration? Quests or just crafting? You can say multiple reason, you can say only one. You can explain why it is so or just grunt and hope we understand you.

2. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Decorating and Crafting.

blaquerogue likes this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The money I've spent, and the hope that it will eventually be more fun and less grind.

4. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

1) Nothing else currently like it.
    2) Has it flaws but still better than half of the games out there.
    3) Infinite potential.

I will play this until at least Episode 3, hoping that it improves over time. To be honest I wish this wasn't crowd-funded.

Verit, FrostII, StarLord and 7 others like this.
  5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Nothing, to much grind in upper levels, to much grind due to rng in crafting, no trust anymore that this will be for the long haul so time invested meh.
    Maybe i come back if things change, but my problem is for me there is no feeling of "there" wilt Sota

6. Snakyy

Snakyy Avatar

For me. It is people. There are lot of people I like on this game and they are reason why I'm here. But if those people would leave this game. I would drop this game on that same very day.

Combat system is garbage. Lots of useless skills, horrible balance if you can even say there is balance.

Exploration? LOL this game have no exploration to even mention. You can solve some puzzle for hours and in the end you are rewarded with few gem fragments and rusty sword. Talk about game punishing players or something.

Quests? Yeah I like quests. I like those multiple outdated journal entries that just haunt me there from quests I completed half a year ago. Or quest rewards even on experience sense give me less experience than 40 min of grinding monsters. This mean, no I don't like quests.

Interesting world? What interesting world. Everything scream unfinished beta stuff. Lore is nonexistent or you cannot use it anywhere. Well yes quest can say land is filled with undead hordes and people are fleeing to cities. Really? Cities are mostly empty streets and if I'm lucky I might find that one silly skeleton encounter on over world map on that particular "undead infested area".

Crafting. Yeah...I love to salvage my 300 loot items in stack of 15s. Crafting have a lot of other FUN features as well that I really enjoy maybe never ever even ones.

PVP might be something to do. But since PVP if you die you seems to randomly lose 2000 gold or 40 000 gold from having a ring of Luck. PVP is not something I even bother to try. If someone say but risk make it fun!? Well making gold is not by means easy on this game. So having fun by losing a lot of gold is not fun by my definition. Yes I can go to my chest and unload everything and only use quest items. But that is not fun either. PVP is like dead mummified never found Egyptian Pharaoh, that at best might rise from its grave to haunt me.

So my answer is people, mostly people and only people. Rest of the game content is..leave a lot to wish for.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Wow this turned quickly. What is KEEPING you here... Not what is NOT... Sheesh!

@majoria70

Rowell, Fruck and GrayFog like this.
  8. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

its kinda hard to explain and sounds lame when I state it out loud or write it out. but its the potential that it has.

like the encounter system. there are so many cool things that can be done with it.

overworld events like bandit camps that spawn crazy amounts of bandit encouters on the map to fight through and then fight a bandit boss in the camp to clear it off the map. they could milk this one thing by making various versions like a giant slime, spider, bear, wolf, necromancer, ect...

there is all kinda of cool stuff to do with it like that with them and then when I think about boats and sea exploration using the encounter system I get excited about what could be.

I feel this way about quite a few systems in game about how cool they could be...

but they aren't yet...

so each time I come back and see the progress... small but none the less progress being made each release I get excited again then my frustration beings to build and I take another couple of months off... rinse and repeat until I don't I guess.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

The dungeons have surprised me on multiple occasions. Somewhat of a shame that there's no reliable way of finding them... like an NPC telling you where to find some.

To understand what drives players away deepens the value and the level of which one element can keep a player playing.

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

1. Social aspect - meeting people from all over the Real World & chatting & laughing with them.
    2. Grouping - Learning how to defeat challenging beasts with good Teamwork (& of course finally sending it to a dirt nap)
    3. Environment - The scenery, the weather, the Planets & the quirky "Easter eggs" within New Britannia
    4. Music - I love to create & play music in Shroud. I just hope that the bugginess can be resolved some time down the track!
    5. Quests - But I would love to see more that are solvable within the game & not having to resort to "cheats" due to lackluster writing/information in the quests/journal

11. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

* Feels like she walked in & missed a conversation *

FrostII likes this.
  12. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Tasty Avatars

Maric, Verit, amarious and 4 others like this.
  13. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

What keeps me playing is a small group of fantastic roleplayers. And I am gradually discovering more of them! (Big kudos to Hemswal and Fionwyn for the bloodbath last night and the wonderfully enjoyable RP all around it.)

SotA has incredible RP possibilities. It is made for people to plot and experience a story together. If we had guildwars I'd be an even happier SotA-addict. But yes, roleplay and great people is what keeps me playing.

Applerust, Maric, Verit and 8 others like this.
  14. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

I am new to the game and have been playing 2 weeks. This is what keeps me playing:

- Building my skill set to have a unique character, trying out all the skills to create synergies (I have a dream of doing poisoned weapon > teleport > trip > bleed > backflip > stealth!)

- Dismantling looted gear / saving gold for patterns to customise the look of my avatar for maximum roleplaying potential

- Saving 350,000 gold to buy gold crowns of the obsidians so I can purchase a place anywhere deed so I can live in an NPC city!

- Exploring all the NPC towns and talking to the NPC's, sometimes I learn music from bards or new emotes.

- Exploring all the Player Owned Towns in search of patterns and crafting recipes

- Writing my own music sheets and looking for people to play my music to

- Decorating my rented room for ideas in preparation of the big day I own my home.

- Crafting stuff and selling it to the npc merchants so that it goes into the loot table and hoping one day to loot my crafted gear from a mob! lol

- Honing my combat skills to one day try a pvp arena.

15. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

1. Combat, mostly the deck system is ingenious, mechanically it's otherwise very mediocre
    2. Streaming and the community
    3. "Infinite" progression

CatherineRose likes this.
  16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

The fact that I know you all would miss me terribly if I left. ;)

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I keep playing because I have high hopes this will turn out to be ou 2.0.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

My town...

Looking out and seeing the houses of the people I'm providing a place to live in this virtual world... Seeing people working in the crafting pavilion... Realizing that there are individuals and groups of people who live and work in my town that are doing things that are virtually impossible to do in an NPC town. Groups of friends with neighboring lots... Individuals with multiple neighboring lots... and being able to provide them the means to build Their dreams.

It's also served as the nursery for a nascent guild who has grown and become one of the larger and more active guilds in the game... They've now grown up and gotten their own town.

I hope to be able to do the same for many more groups and individuals in the coming years.

It brings me joy.

Xee, CatherineRose, StarLord and 8 others like this.
  19. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

- because Bless Online was just lol, refunded
    - because Elder Scrolls Online was just way too simple, you even can solo everything now
    - because Black Desert Online is just an aoe everything down grindfest
    - because FFXIV while good is always the same old, same old
    - because Legends of Aria is not really what i was hopeing for
    - because Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is not finished yet and i don't have pre-alpha access
    - because Word of Warcraft is just an aoe everything down game by now as well, way too easy
    - because Albion Online is more focused on PVP
    - because Camelot Unchained pretty much is just RVR/PVP
    - because Sea of Thieves got boring fast
    - because Life is Feudal was not really the fix i was looking for

- because most mmos are just super easy boring grind for 1000 years fest super tripple AAA ultra HD awesome looking graphics garbage

Now, SotA really does have some of the same issues like "grinding", many unfinished systems, everything soloable, the quest system is garbage etc...
    But i'm here since kickstarter and have spent quite some cash on multiple accounts, so yeah, hope dies last, right?

:D

20. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

The housing - best I've seen
    The fact that crafted gear is the only way
    The fact that the world feels like a world you can just hang out in
    The fact that the game isn't go to quest hub n, hoover up all quests, do them and proceed to hub n+1.

add in a bunch of good PvE large group encounters and we'd really be getting somewhere...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.