1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud of the Avatar Boxes Shipping Update August 20, 2018

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

Thank you :)

2. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Thanks for the good news.
    @DarkStarr: how do you handle the different signed property deeds?

Razimus likes this.
  3. Derium

Derium Avatar

No tracking is insane. The theft/missing packages rate of international is rather large. USPS tracking for international is literally automatic, even when using the first class option under a few pounds (These are not greater than 4 pounds, right?) And if you're using a shipping program (which if you're not, I'd wonder why you activated hardmode on yourself) then the international tracking is always there. And emailing the tracking is also automatic, you just upload the CSV with an email field and the shipping program takes care of that for you. It's actually more annoying to NOT email out tracking numbers when you generate the label.

Plus with customs being a pain in the butt, the customer needs their tracking and other info in order to finish the claim. Is Port saying they are offering to do that legwork for them? If so, that seems more expensive.

as Bowen said, as someone who also ships thousands of packages a month, strange choice. I wonder what their reasons were.

"Due to costs and complexities with customs we chose to not have tracking with these shipments"

The shippers don't pay customs costs, the customer does if there are any. However, the value of these are $0. Since this is a reward for donations and not actually purchased at the retail price, so with a $0 reward, it should carry $0 in customs cost. Unless Port is declaring the retail value on the customers, if so, ouch.

And complexities I assume they mean the customs forms? Which again, you can have those automatically filled out with a shipping program.

4. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

*has images of Avatars all over the world with vigils at their mailbox for the next couple of weeks*

*bursts out laughing while she tries to drag her office chair out of the office, down the stairs and down the street to the mailbox bank and is stopped by her very worried husband*

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Like this post if you still haven't decided where to hang the map. lol

Brazen Spirituality likes this.
  6. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Wait, @DarkStarr , you want me to pay $30 for international shipping but not get any tracking???? Im sure you can understand how silly that sounds?

I also need to know what you will label these as in terms of value, because i am not going to pay import fees aswell.

7. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I am pretty certain that previously it was stated that the packages would be valued at the cost of the retail game (i.e. $45).

StarLord and Arradin like this.
  8. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

We are talking about more than the box thought, and it sounds like they do it in several shippings..

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

First class rates with USPS are for less than 16 ounces. Above that you're looking at priority mail and the rates go way up. But it all depends on what kind of deal the shipper gets as to what carrier they will use though I can tell you that USPS international is going to be the cheapest method for those international shipments. I can't image them using anything else. They'd have to be getting some amazing deals with someone.

Then again, I only work for a small online store, we're not Amazon. The manufacturer/shipper in this case likely has much better deals on shipping than what I am accustomed to so I could be a bit off.

10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Wilhelm Busch

I assume, if a package won't arrive, we will receive replacement :)

Over the last years I got a lot packages from US and other lands. No tracking wasn't a problem.

And interesting: the cases, packages were lost, (not US, most Sri Lanka) they always had a tracking number - but it helped nothing!
    A few just vanished at the customs ;)
    Most problems may occur with packages containing food (especially animal based) if there are restrictions from your homeland...
    Fortunately we don't receive a kind of that stuff - or was there also a obsidian bear steak as kickstarter item? ;)

Really, I don't see a big problem because we have no tracking code.
    I only hope, that not dishonesty occurs ...

Beside all this: Remember Bobby! NOW :)

Leostemplar and Drake Aedus like this.
  11. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

This is not correct. All items have some value, regardless of what the addressee pays for them, and that value must be declared for customs.

Some countries allow gifts under a certain value, so that's the route Portalarium should take. Any company that deals with international shipping should know these things.

12. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Disappointed in no tracking decision. I hope my package doesn't get stolen or misdelivered. The United States Postal Service is horrible in NC, about 30% of my mail never gets delivered or is sent to wrong addresses.

13. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

Rentier and calkano (PAX) like this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol, I think this is most places in the U.S. sadly. Try living in a major MSA. Speaking for our nation's Capital, the USPS is notoriously bad here. Not only are the packages always late, they sometimes falsify deliveries and without a tracking number you are SOL. Not to mention running the risk of some porch pirate stealing it! I would have begrudgingly paid more for shipping to ensure that my package had some form of tracking. It's the only way to get any kind of recourse should the worse happen!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    3devious and Arya Stoneheart like this.
  15. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Could the conclusion be that if we will not get the packages in an appropriate time after receiving the mail with shipping information we will have to claim a ticket for port to ship it again?

16. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Actually, I can't "like" your post as I have my map display all figured out. I had an original UO map that I received with the original box in 1998. I got the opportunity to meet Richard at the first Sotacon in Baltimore and he was kind enough to sign it for me. That one and the SotA one will be framed and hung together on my office wall. All other gaming items will be organized around them. I've been meaning to redecorate my office for years. I now have a very good reason to get it done!

Verit and Vaentorian like this.
  17. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

I am looking for that time frame also. USPS does not have a good track record with me either.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Derium

Derium Avatar

All items do have some value that needs to be declared, but you can also say it's a gift and or slap a stupid low value onto it. Again, since these items are not goods we purchased. Meaning they pay $0 in customs. Why did you say I was not correct, then literally say what I said just using different words?

19. Derium

Derium Avatar

"For First-Class Package International Service, the maximum weight is 4 lbs." <- taken from USPS. And I plugged it into shipstation as well, it says it's fine until you go a tick over 4lbs. The 16 oz is for domestic. International shipping does get super weird though.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  20. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Not on media rate. ;)

evillego6 and Derium like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.