Player made dungeons vrs portalarium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree an important consideration, as I under stand it many of these areas will be copies of whats in the game just turned down. So based on that they can already be abused but for higher reward?

Id still like rare and expired blueprint drops. I dont want them all tied to boss encounters, I think rare zone drops mabey about as hard to get as a lich ring.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  2. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Its not so much that giving the player a Ravensmoor Lich Room at full value is going to cause a problem in and of itself. Its that you can link that room to a rise mage room to a deamon room to a dragon room with zero blockers, zero danger, and zero delay. By placing all that content Together in once spot, unabaided by travel or anything else you have created a master min/max zone of upmost uberness. That is what is needed to avoid/balance checked.

Added: The game itself has build in sinks to prevent this gameplay... Scrolls need to be bought to travel (sink), or you need to walk (sink), or move through lesser encounters/traps (sink). You can go from zone to zone fighting dragon after dragon but there are systems in place to balance your intake in some way.

Thats why player created content is so dangerous. Its very hard to make good controls to limit the imbalances players will want to make.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Witcheypoo, Astirian and Pifester like this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yes we will have to see, if the case is they can be compedetive then were good. Hard though unless we have access to xp treadmills like ut.

Aartemis likes this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I can see how some areas could be abused to a degree. However my understanding is the loot tables in Player dungeons are many levels lower then that of the actual dungeons and similar mobs. the rewards at the end or through the player owned dungeon was to be that of the items the player offers for completing his challenge setup for the players. There was enough info to know that chests can be setup in a fashion where loot is limited to individuals based on criteria's (loot only once ever, loot x days a week etc.) There was also talk of lock mechanics etc to force players to have to do certain things in order to gain access. I don't think the intent for player dungeons was for xp grinding like that of UT. That said as mentioned above there maybe those that want to exploit the system to make an XP grind like that of UT. however at the reduced rate of xp and loot stated it would not make sense to try and build this knowing that there are better options for xp. Its more about the loot from the looks of it. Myself I will put some of my best gear in my dungeons, will I loose out on making a lot of coin on that gear, yes but I get the satisfaction of getting people to run my dungeon, as well there are ways to recouple the loss, as well other things one can do to ensure exploits in their dungeons don't cost them. I know if I see a lot of the loot being too easy to get I would make changes to ensure its more a challenge.

Elwyn, Aeryk and Aartemis like this.
  5. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I don't know if I'd pay a coto to go into any dungeon. Not unless I knew I had a good chance of getting something worth more to me. Now a 100gp to a down on his luck adventurer that passes a key to this dungeon they found, that I would do. I think the mechanic that will draw people to these dungeons is going to be the stories behind them and they want a break from grinding. You know Atos is going to be collecting metrics on player made dungeons to look for exploits. I also imagine they will have restrictions on how you can place encounter rooms to limit/prevent the never ending circle of XP/arifacts/loot dungeons.

I do wonder if they will allow challenge dungeons... in other words, dungeons designed to be deadly instead of balanced. The dungeon would only allow solo or very small groups and be designed to eliminate most of those that enter. In that case, having an "entry fee" would allow for the build up of a large treasure. Say 50 to 75% of the fees collected at that point in addition to what ever else you want to put in. That may be another way to draw in avatars. Perhaps POTs or guilds could hold tournaments around this type of set up.

6. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

lets be real here.

99.9% of our personal dungs no one is going to want to look at but ourselves...

what is going to draw and interest people are the dungs of that 0.01% and groups that spend weeks making mazes and quest already with out this new system.

its going to be the events that they set up that are going to draw people and the prizes and loots that they put on the line not the xp or mob drops.

port needs to make sure they have lots of pieces and things to tweak and things besides combat to work with to make this engaging.

I have hope that we wont allow port to half ass this and keep producing pieces for it release after release :)

Cordelayne and Mykll like this.
  7. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I wonder if we could get special rewards for player dungeon visitors. Maybe a once a day per dungeon chance at a higher tier crafting ingredient to drop in a sufficiently hard dungeon encounter, sufficiently deep in the dungeon.

Perhaps and achievement or title based on completed player dungeons. That would fall in line with the other titles they give for slaying large numbers mob X.

Astirian likes this.
  8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

If the XP rewards are less... Disable death decay in player-made dungeons? Would that work? It then becomes a gamble. Do I kill the Port dragon for guaranteed x amount of xp (though I may die and suffer decay) or do I attempt this nice new PMD (player-made dungeon) not sure of xp rewards but knowing that I will not suffer decay. A choice in pace perhaps?

Dunno, just a wild idea, could be massively exploitable for all I know. I don't tend to think in terms of exploits. :)

9. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Just answered my own question in case anyone else coming across this thread is wondering: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Category:Dungeons - Love that site.

10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I think Chris stated somewhere they will be about 10% less efficient .

Nelzie likes this.
  11. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Less efficient in what way? Experience per hour? Gold farmed (in gold, drops, whatever) per hour? Or less efficient meaning the layout, or something else?

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I assume this

Mykll likes this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If this is indeed the case and with UT included in this curve I see no problem...

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm a bit concerned.

If player dungeons take off and become popular, there will be more dungeons in cities than there will be across Novia. As someone who primarily dungeon crawls (as opposed to grinding XP spots), I already have a hard time finding dungeons without looking at some wiki page so there's very little satisfaction when it comes to wandering around and stumbling upon a dungeon entrance.

So more dungeons is good but my first fear is turning SotA into a hub world... the way Stormwind/Orgrimmar is in World of Warcraft: everybody just hangs in town and queues for dungeons. We already have an overabundance of teleportation going on... now imagine if the large majority of (accessible) dungeons were in towns...

My 2nd concern is the potential multitude of fanfict that will go against the world’s cannon. Optional dungeons, sure, but potentially a completely useless feature for me.

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. mass

mass Avatar

Let's hope they sit on the QA server long enough to figure this out. I really hope they don't show up on the live server half baked, exploitable, or boring.
    It can't be much worse than the current state of the cannon ;)

Lazlo likes this.
  16. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Yeah, I played a couple of janky player-made Neverwinter dungeons, not great.

Nelzie and majoria70 like this.
  17. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I'd like to be able to craft a handful of pretty kick ass things to put in my dungeon and by that, I mean Armor and weapons and have a kind of inventory, maybe even a reward if my dungeon kills characters, just something that rewards me for the effort put in. Then, when all the items are looted, the Dungeon can "lock" until I restock it or goes on "No Award" Mode which means just a regular treasure chest.

Numa likes this.
  18. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

With this point system they speak of in the marketing material, it seems like it wouldn't be possible to put a lich room, a rise mage room and then a dragon room all in one dungeon, because there won't be enough points to support such a monstrous pile of experience.

19. Numa

Numa Avatar

I think this will be a great thing for low - mid level players if done right. Crafted weapons & armor for those players aren't that hard to make and it would give POTS & even PRT's some use for people trying to level up.

Cordelayne and Nelzie like this.
  20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Portalarium will miss a huge opportunity if they fail to realize these issues. More development time will be lost on an unused system. Please don't mess this up.

Cordelayne, GrayFog and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.