So many skills.... so little deck space

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by CodeDaddy, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I don't get this. I have a hybrid deck and always have more options available than I can possibly use.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  2. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I admit I haven't really looked into the idea of "keybinding" but it is something that might be helpful to me.
    How do you do this?
    I go into the options & I am confused between the different hotbar names so I can't identify what they actually refer to. <- again another confusing/advanced aspect of this combat system....
    Until I can accept the randomness of the current deck system, being able to keybind my buffs & heals, would be a huge bonus to free up space on my hotbar for comabt skills.

Nog likes this.
  3. Nog

Nog Avatar

Options->Controls->down to where it says "Hotbar 1 - 10." You can then press whatever key you want for each number slot 1-10.

I have a gaming mouse with several buttons on it, so I don't have to do any special keybinding to slots 1-7.

But I do keybind numbers 8-10 to E/R/F. Any easy to reach key will work, of course if you don't want E/R/F. No one's fingers can effectively reach the 8-10 keys and I am not a fan of mouse clicking and avoid doing so at all cost (mostly for the reason I find it too easy to visually lose the mouse cursor in a frantic crazy fight with exploding color effects, which happens all the time in mmorpgs). Some of my short-term buffs (like Dodge, Healing Touch, Evasion, Reckless/Defensive Stance) are here and having them keybound is helpful. I can't fit all my short-term buffs on 3 keys so have to double 'em up.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Witcheypoo, Jaesun and Daigoji Gai like this.
  4. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Can I say? Despite having decks that fit my play style and I think are quite diabolical, your description opens up options I didn't think about for "spare" mouse buttons.
    I love you.
    Can I say that?
    You, Nog, delivered an...

OUTSTANDING POST!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Witcheypoo, Jaesun, Nog and 1 other person like this.
  5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Sounds like a good set up for you.
    I am a mouse gameplayer essentially, but I would like to keybind my buffs & heals AND still use my 10 slot combat bar for combat icons.
    I never did "learn" the WASD gameplay thing - was never required in other games I have played, so it is very foreign to me. <- the same is true with the Deckplay system.

I understand that the
    • "Hotbar" = (passive) settings are 1-0 (at least I think that is what I think the passive bar is)
    In the options > controls settings Do you know what is meant by -
    • "Hotbar Self" = is this the Main combat bar?
    • "Hotbar Discard" = I am guessing this refers to one of the customized Deck bars?
    Because I was thinking I could keybind my buffs etc to "Hotbar Discard" it would free up the Main Combat bar for more locked combat skills, but I am not entirely sure if my assumption is correct.

I have looked for a guide that explains all of the "Options" settings, but I have not yet found such a guide.
    Sorry if I sound naive & dumb, but I am an "older" player & only know what I am familiar with.
    "Teaching this old dog new tricks" is rather challenging to grasp.

Nog and Daigoji Gai like this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

these don't refer to different bars, but to different actions on glyphs.

hotbar self: casts the glyph you choose on yourself, if it can be. this is generally the default, but if you have hard-selected a party member to heal them but need to cast a heal on yourself, you use the hotbar-self combo rather than having to untarget them, cast your heal, and retarget them.

hotbar discard: you can clear an unlocked glyph without casting it if it's not what you need and there's something else also assigned to that slot that might be a better choice at the moment. it basically just instantly does what would happen with time anyway, with new glyphs replacing old ones.

Witcheypoo, Jaesun, Nog and 2 others like this.
  7. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

NEXT LEVEL REACHED...

EPIC THREAD ACHIEVED

Witcheypoo, Jaesun, Nog and 1 other person like this.
  8. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Thank you for clarifying this for me.... so many mysteries to unravel in this game, both within the game itself & the UI :D

But I am disappointed that without using the deck playstyle, we are limited to only 10 active slots to use either via keybinding or mouse clicking.
    I am still of the opinion, that more slots need to be made available, to those of us who do not wish to play using deck play roulette....

Witcheypoo, Jaws2 and Nog like this.
  9. Nog

Nog Avatar

yw.

I do appreciate - at least in theory - some notion of the deck's ability to generate combos and do dynamic things.

But I also find it a tad more challenging (high learning curve) than I'd like to get the deck to do exactly what I want (ie. dragging combos, or pushing Combo+Glyph+Glyph if keying instead of dragging). Carefully watching the deck and fiddling with combos can be darn difficult as a multitasking effort when you are fighting 3+ enemies with archers and mages in the mix running evasive patterns on you. Though it's not particularly rough if just facing 1-2 melee enemies (at least in my case as a melee/blades character; one's mileage may vary).

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Witcheypoo and Synergy Blaize like this.
  10. Nog

Nog Avatar

Good question and response. I didn't use this for a long while and ditching a junk card was a pretty big game changer to getting better results in combat.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  11. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

You & I essentially share the same thoughts....

For me, I play for fun & setting my own goals to beat/improve on.
    I like to watch the gameplay & make decisions based on the current situation, not hope for the best that the skill I want/need rolls up.
    But I do dislike not being able to have more varied skills to utilize.
    Husband & I mainly play as a Duo (due to timezones/non-peak playing) & we are so limited in progressing forward due to restricted use of combat abilities & buffs.

So I will continue to add my voice on more choice in how non-deck players enjoy our game.

Witcheypoo and Nog like this.
  12. Nog

Nog Avatar

While I have some short-term buff abilities placed on my last 3 hotbar slots, I also created a Buff Deck that has each short-term buff locked. I'm not a fan of extra tedium but this is a simple extra deck to create since there isn't anything fancy to do to it. Each short-term buff glyph gets a locked slot.

If you know you are going to move into an area with enemies, you can bring up the Buff Deck and click the buffs you think you are going to need at the onset. The need to have a separate buff deck to reliably get my buffs off right away is not something that I celebrate, but pragmatically, it is useful. (This is where if the hotbar had a couple more slots, I could probably avoid the need for the Buff Deck.)

If you get jumped by surprise, the Buff Deck is less useful. It takes time to key a deck swap, delay to click each glyph, then swap back to a combat deck - all while enemies are pouncing on you. That said, having that buff deck and being able to reliably click those buffs so you aren't at the mercy of short-term buff glyphs appearing or not appearing in your randomized combat deck really does allow you to enter into combat all beefed up and ready to go.

Witcheypoo and Synergy Blaize like this.
  13. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

That is a great suggestion that I think I can manage!
    Thanks very much!

14. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I have done as you suggested & now have freed up 3 spots for combat skills.
    Thank You!

Jaesun and Nog like this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

My best advice to you is to not dump all copies of the same glyph into your deck. Like:

4 glyphs of Thrust.
    4 glyphs of Double Slash.
    4 glyphs of Death Touch.
    4 glyphs of Fire Arrow.
    etc, etc.

If you're less worried about the power output and more worried about the odds of glyphs showing up, balance your glyphs by changing the quantities you have.

3 glyphs of Thrust.
    1 glyph of Double Slash.
    4 glyphs of Death Touch.
    2 glyphs of Fire Arrow.

Over time, you'll realize you'll need certain glyphs to show up more often than others, so you just keep changing those numbers until you find a perfect balance.

Nog likes this.
  16. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

As a wise man once said, its not the size of the deck, its how you use it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.