Petition / Poll to remove teleport scrolls now global bank / skipping checkpoints & sieges is in R57

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fazza, Aug 23, 2018.

Tags:
?

With global bank and skipping checkpoints/sieges, should we now finally retire the teleport scrolls?

1. Yeah!

24.6%
  2. No. I like the current system

75.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

Hey all,

I've just had a look at the R57 draft release notes. Looks like the concept of regional economy has been dropped what with the introduction of global banks and the ability to skip checkpoints and sieges.

Do we think its now time to ditch teleport scrolls completly (keeping recall)?
    It should be a doddle to get anywhere now a matter of a couple of mins and without multiple scene loads. It would REALLY help the feeling of a living world, especially on the world map.

Means that mainting a huge list of friends for the sole purpose of free movement would end as well.

I know some people want a rune based marking system, but lets be honest. Maps are too small, it would kill the world map and people would abuse it by teleporting to end bosses or rotate loot chests...etc. Genuinly not sure that could work so I've left it out the poll.

<edit>
    Oh - and for the quick group thing. Teleport to group could still be an option on the party finder!
    Yes, it could be exploited with Alts forming and disbanding groups quickly. But its kinda the best of both worlds!
    </edit>

Whatcha all think?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Dartan Obscuro and Astirian like this.
  2. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

With the coming episodes the map will be expanding so the time it takes to traverse the map will be increasing. Port is using teleport as a way for adventurers to group together quickly, whether it is a public event or a dungeon delve with your regular group. I understand that having a huge list of "friends" is annoying when you are looking for certain people in it, however that seems to point to the implementation of the list. That can be solved by having a way to mark avatars you want to "keep on top". As for the map size, as I said, it will be growing. Lets not remove the teleport system based on the size now, only to wish we had not after the next couple episodes are released.

MFWalter, FrostII, Nelzie and 4 others like this.
  3. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

But skipping everything, you can get to any scene in the map in under 3 mins? I bet you could get from the tower of the shuttered eye to Valhold in well under this with fleet flute or wolf speed. It would probally only double or triple the time to teleport directly!
    I very much doubt that additional episodes will add that much more overground transversing.

It was meant to be a more hardcore oldschool mmo.

Just my thoughts anyway. The current teleport to absolutely every scene instantly is kinda crazy. There really is no need for the world map. I dont really use it after adding everyone I possibly can to my friends list.

Of course its just my view. Hence the poll.

Oh - and for the quick group thing. Teleport to group could still be an option on the party finder!
    Yes, it could be exploited with Alts forming and disbanding groups quickly. But its kinda the best of both worlds!

Dartan Obscuro likes this.
  4. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I didn't vote because I'd like something sort of halfway there. Remove teleporting to players for sure. Adding everyone you run past as a future port point is daft. Have key points around the world map with standing stones or something you can mark and teleport to after you've visited once to activate. You get fast travel, still have to make your way there for the first time to pad out the exploration experience and makes friend lists actual friend lists.

MFWalter, Nelzie, Witcheypoo and 3 others like this.
  5. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

Moon Obelisks scattered around the world! I would be keen to travel the world unlocking all the moon obelisks so that I could teleport myself around. I would love this kind of content.

6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I hope they haven't given up on the Regional economy :( In BDO it works a treat, but it takes a lot of sub-systems to make it work well, or at all: local products & recipes, regional price variations, trade links, trade transport units, etc.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I want the noats to other continents to be on schedules.

And when new continents come online, i want them to contain resources exvlusive to them.

I think regional economy didnt work because the world is too small and even with control points, it took no time to run from one end to the other.

If it took effort/time to go from landmass to landmass, it would work. It has to be desirable to pay money for stuff locally ratger than acquire it yourself

MFWalter and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  8. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well, nothing lasts as long as a temporary solution. ;)
    I hope too that at least teleporting from continent to continent will not be possible to finally create some kind of regional economy but I have doubts that this will happen.
    I’m quite sure there is a lot of pressure to keep the workaround (teleportation) and with additional continents I guess this will even rise and most people will simply continue to add more and more strangers to their teleportation list to be able to instantly reach every location anytime...it is like it is.

9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

As I noted elsewhere, there are still reasons to keep teleport scrolls (Joining a party in progress, skipping numerous screen loads to get to scenes like The Rise, etc). Eliminating checkpoints doesn't eliminate teleport scrolls as an important part of the game.

10. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

ideally for me the teleport and recall system would be changed.

instead of binding to a lot or a town crier you would bind to a new item called a teleport crystal/ moonstone/ or wtfever.

a player could only bind to one crystal either a personal one that they placed on their lot or a town one placed in a npc prt or pot. so the recall scroll would still function much the same way as it does now other than cost scaling by distance away from bind point.

the main change would be the teleport scrolls. no longer would you be able to teleport to people on your fl but to the new placed town crystals in pot npc or prts. the cost in teleport scroll would scale upwards based on distance from the players current position.

players would still be able to easily transverse the map and quickly meet up for parties and what not but they would have to venture forth together after meeting up in a town to start their adventure rather than just teleporting to what ever zone they were going to.

with the idea of new land masses coming sometime in the future I am not sure about how port would handle this but probably only being able to teleport between them using special npc story town crystals or very expensive to craft crystals that would be a guild or town project and would cost 10 or more scrolls to use.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Teleport scrolls are still useful for groups, why remove them?

FrostII, StarLord and Mishikal like this.
  12. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Give us runes to mark ourselves, runebooks to keep them in, with ability to travel to marked locations via charging said book and I am with you all the way plus I'd throw in 'deleted loads of peoples names in friends list you don't know' too as I've never had so many strangers on my friends list who I NEVER chat to and quite frankly never will (I expect others to delete me first too btw if this feature ever gets implemented)

Until then hands off our scrolls sir!

If regional economy is replaced with global economy that's a really good step forward IMHO as the parrot from Monty Python sketch has more life in it than regional economy, can we get an auction house too please ;)

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I was about to post but looks like @Fungus beat me to it.

Witcheypoo, Mishikal and Fungus like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love the idea of rune book and marking places for this game. One thing I personally like with my huge friends list is seeing where players are hanging out. I don't even have to know their names. I would love for us to get a heat map with dots on it showing activity.

CatherineRose and Fungus like this.
  15. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Some things never change ;) :p

3devious and Mishikal like this.
  16. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

yea no.... the game needs reworks on the teleports ... yes but not removal .. quick travel is a must in this game. We just need our friends list to become our friends list and not a telepost list.

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I still would like to see the Virtue Stones in the game. Perhaps a quest associated for each one that could bind to the associated Virtue City and perhaps requires a Teleport scroll? Also possibly require to be used at a Lunar Rift.

18. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

As I said, without checkpoints and seiges stopping you. You can run from one side of the overworld game word to the other in about 2 mins. What's not quick about that!!? You cant traverse the whole world that quickly in most games. Instant warp to party could still be there!

19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That's great and a nice change, but it doesn't remove the need for teleport scrolls. I rarely used them to get around control points, myself (I rather run through a CP than spend a scroll to go by it).

majoria70 likes this.
  20. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

You cant do a runebook. As I put in the original thread. If you could warp to exact X/Y co-ords then all the entry puzzles are redundant. And people would just warp from treasure chest to treasure chest over and over again. Or to the hard bosses without having to go through dungeons. All you could do it allow insta-warp to the entrance of any scene like the old /warp command. But then the overworld map is redundant. That cant be good game design?

And an action house totally removes the game design for player run vendors and player run POTs like the market towns. I can only think you're being facetious? :) That would remove the requirement to ever even visit a player run town unless there was an event on or have your own.

If you put these things in place the game would consist of only three things.
    1) Login
    2) Buy/sell what you need on the global auction house
    3) Insta warp to best XP gind spot, treasure chest or an event going on
    Repeat.

No social aspect would be enforced and the world would feel very small and empty.

Woodchuck and Elwyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.