Holy moly this looks familiar.... (Ashes of creation)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fazza, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

BDO is another beast. I would say there is an "small" team size difference :D afaik they have at least 15-20 artists.

Also here more info and some pictures about their workplace paradise xD

https://www.invenglobal.com/article...uarters-the-birthplace-of-black-desert-online

2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This seems like a decent gig to get into... freelance side asset/art creation...

I better keep on working on my Solids/Parametrics based CAD skills. Who knows, I might end up with some nifty stuff out there someday.

Schneider DragonFang likes this.
  3. Derium

Derium Avatar

This is what I love about game companies, so many of them do awesome things like that. Visiting bethesda (ZeniMax) would be like going to Disney for me, or the Team at EVE online (CCP) and their "flaming toilet paper jousting" while riding shopping carts.

4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

... the Health and Focus bar is placed in a better way ;)

5. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Those mushrooms are pretty close to identical - even the death animation (seemed a little smoother in this game tho - in Shroud the animation for them dying is a bit more abrupt)

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

Not to mention you're dedicating a fair amount of CPU for all the scale-able bones for each character rigs. To do something like that in Unity (I specify Unity because I've never done something like this in Unreal so I don't know if the technique is the same), it'd probably take twice the amount of bones... and that's exponentially expensive per frame of animation.

Sometimes teams will buy assets just because it's easier/quicker to prototype with. That lets their artists focus on whatever they deem more important. If they use the asset in the final product, they save money long term.

Its combat system was also criticized by a lot of people.

They have good ideas but it's too early to tell, really. As far as competitors go, I've personally been more impressed by Pantheon Rise of the Fallen. It looks good and they seem to have a really solid, tight and not too ambitious plan.

7. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Gosh if Sota could make movement like that I would be one happy man.

Jimmy Cliff and Ataniiq like this.
  8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

It's a subscription game with a monthly fee, remember that, one of the reasons the kickstarter was so successful is because they offered lifetime subscription packages that many backers purchased for insane amounts of money. I'm glad I didn't get one of those packages or any, it doesn't even look like a subscription game. It looks like SotA give or take, yet the combat does look smoother no doubt, it all reminds me of a free Korean MMO I played a few years ago, can't remember the name, found it on mmorpg dot com, wonder if they bought it, or maybe they're just using the same engine and similar assets because I saw that exact same giant tree sized mushroom in that other game. Looks promising but I'd only check out a subscription game if it was fully massive and open world with zero loading screens

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well, to be fair, they had a lot of good ideas in the KS.
    I am courious how they will turn out during production and take a look at the finished product.

10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Been reading on their site .. we should steal some of these features for sota.

1. PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest; fight for control over cities, castles, caravans, or hunting grounds.

2.Dynamic resource spawning.

3.Caravans facilitate the transfer of goods for players wishing to turn a profit. Initiating a caravan from one city to another will create a caravan that players will need to defend while it moves along its route to the selected destination.

4. Extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses.

5.Quest System -Players will have the ability to directly alter world events and change the landscape through their actions, as an individual and as a community. Server quests will allow political rivals to compete for the fate of the world.

6. Small ships for solo content.
    Medium ships for group content.
    Large ships for raid content.
    Skill trees for ships pvp and raid naval combat :rolleyes:

7.And they have a referal system.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    K1000 likes this.
  11. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I've suggested this in the past for sota.

Let the cities under seige actually have a winner .

Be it the city or the cabalists. Then the players would need to go in and take the city back.

Perhaps the old city government could gather a new army or allies and try to take it back themselves.

Let a group of players or a guild have a shot at taking it back.

Then the seiges would have a real purpose.

Now that we will be able to bypass seiges they will be a feature in game with no real purpose.

Seiges and cabalists will be this joke. The highly talked about toothless tigers.

For this matter let players have a shot at taking cities over. Not all are the most virtuous.

This storyline portrays good and evil in conflict but in words.

Let it be seen in action.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Ataniiq likes this.
  12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

::grinz::

I did. And I paid thousands less for it than for SOTA :D

Razimus likes this.
  13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Not only the mushroom are the same, but at 11 minute you can start seeing the cloak go trough the body. Totally the same. lol

Ataniiq, Elwyn and Obsidian Tempest like this.
  14. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Speaking of character creation....

Did sota make their own character generator or was it purchased?

15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

[QUOTE="

Its combat system was also criticized by a lot of people.

They have good ideas but it's too early to tell, really. As far as competitors go, I've personally been more impressed by Pantheon Rise of the Fallen. It looks good and they seem to have a really solid, tight and not too ambitious plan.[/QUOTE]

Since we're talking about alpha 1 testing, I'm not surprised :D

I'll have more information about it in a week when the testing starts. We'll have about 8000 players on. I'm sure I'll have an opinion and provide them with plenty of feedback :)

16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Well I considered getting the cheapest lifetime sub package but then I realized, comparing every MMO I've played in the last 23 years the most expensive collector edition plus a year of subscription time was still way cheaper, so it was a gamble and will still be a gamble feel free to post when the game is out if it was worth it, I'll check it out at launch.

17. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

Nice to see Asheron's Call 3 coming along nicely.
    Also "Pre-Alpha"... OMEGALULZ!

Fister Magee likes this.
  18. Xul Rasha

Xul Rasha Avatar

Yeah no kidding - I like the way this is looking.

19. Corv

Corv Avatar

I's stick with SotA. Ashes looks flashy because of the Unreal Engine but if you think SotA has problems then you don't want to get into the problems Ashes has.

20. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Does anyone notice the ambient music? Take note Sota! :) I just get all warm insaide when a game gets ambient music right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.