Petition / Poll to remove teleport scrolls now global bank / skipping checkpoints & sieges is in R57

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fazza, Aug 23, 2018.

Tags:
?

With global bank and skipping checkpoints/sieges, should we now finally retire the teleport scrolls?

1. Yeah!

24.6%
  2. No. I like the current system

75.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I think a GTA Taxi system, that functions like Eve online would be a great way to get around the map. WASD movements of the overworld map just makes things a bit doubled when you wasd around the scene and need to wasd around the map. the two are far too similar.

I want to watch the world go by and not always need to be in the same scene. I'd like to watch an airship or carriage moving across the overworld and perhaps even inside a scene, We need to ask ourselves, is WASD on the overworld really needed?. the starting location of that journey could near a bank, or for a fee, at the location of where your character is.

An eve online like node travel system that could be open to ambush's etc would be great. Maybe even get more than one person in the carriage if you are concerned about security or hire a couple NPC's!

2. jutman

jutman Avatar

Why on earth you you want to take a step back in the game when they are finally implementing good ideas?
    Getting rid of teleport would just be a step in the wrong direction...

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I fully support this proposition.

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I like teleport scrolls as they add convenience.
    If you look at the release notes for R57 its full of additional quality of life things, why are you trying to take away a convenience?

Mishikal and Scanphor like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Teleport scrolls are essential to mobility within the game. Removing nonsense load screens is a good step in the right direction, but doesn't eliminate the need for groups to be able to gather quickly. Removing this functionality will just cause events and group activities to suffer. I'd be in favor of removing teleport scrolls if some sort of other fast travel system replaced it, ala runebook or multiple bind points. I agree the 'tele to friend' is a bit silly. But without a meaningful alternative its the only thing we've got.

Jaesun, Mishikal and Scanphor like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A console command to move to any zone in the game like the Devs do during live streams would be even MORE convenient!
    Let's do That!

7. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Back in the times when the overworld map concept was still in flux, I got the impression that Control Points would be irregular like random encounters or town sieges.
    Over time a CP would become reset, and would need to be "cleared" by a significant party event - when it was cleared it would allow free bypass to all until it reset again. Instead this seems to be what happened with town sieges only, and even then the sieges have been tied with the shrines/obsidians which shifts the focus away from the way that the map links can be dynamic. Why not have the control point locations contain a fixed/non moving random encounter with a flag to show if it is active?

Meanwhile, I don't mind the time spent moving long distances around the map, but I DO mind the long waits loading scenes. If I can teleport from one scene to another with only one loading screen, rather than wait to load the map and then load another scene, I would choose the teleport whenever possible.

Tiina Onir, Elwyn and kaeshiva like this.
  8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

There is a difference between a convenience and a cheat.
    The original post mentioned it would only take 3 minutes to run across Novia but why use those 3 minutes when scrolls are already implemented?

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What would the difference be?

10. Mishra

Mishra Avatar

This.

Why do people insist on time wasters in the game. They finally allow me to bypass the 6 loading screen.

Synergy Blaize, Mishikal and kaeshiva like this.
  11. ZODROT

ZODROT Avatar

I can agree to retire scrolls only if they add runes like in UO :) nothing else !

12. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

No. I do not and never have enjoyed the current state of play with regard to teleporting and recalling, using strangers, much less friends, as a pseudo "runebook". It's wrong. It's pretty much broken. It does not and can not inspire new players to feel like there is any semblance of a contiguous game "world".

I emphatically want it redesigned. You can help me make this happen. Or, "you" will choose to not. Maybe it is more accurate to say, "the majority of the individuals who voted to keep it as is", are in some way afraid or otherwise fearful of the impact such a sudden shift in game sense would cause.

Game, sense, is a compound word, but I break that up into two words, for a reason. There is no efficacy in our shared idea of fun, to keep it the way it is. The current state is a relic of the early days of the game and its state of play. Now, we need to be willing as players to trust the developers we already support, financially.

Balance in all things. Fun is the focus for most of us. It is just a societal development to participate in the RMT aspect of Shroud. SOME, of us, want fun first, and, fewer still, can see that RMT and fun, often collide.

So. I have cast my vote, and I remain skeptical that anything on this subject matter will be changed any time soon.

Looking at you, @Lord British @Chris @DarkStarr and anyone else who chooses to grow, rather than refuse to. I go out of my way, all the time, consistently, to be friendly and inclusive of newer players and other "clearly young" individuals. I do not dictate right and wrong in how I handle such encounters. I, instead, have a prime directive: "Let them discover This Game, for themselves." But, in closing, I ALWAYS answer their questions. And frequently, in an interesting way.

Happy hunting.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    ebonmark likes this.
  13. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

Here, here! @the Lacedaemonian all it takes is a few "Moon Obelisks" to be scattered around the world, that once found, will allow us to teleport to them. Then they can adjust the teleport scrolls to only work for obelisks and give us a summon allies scroll that brings your party members to you.

the Lacedaemonian and MFWalter like this.
  14. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

at a minimum you should be able to bind to several house lots. It absolutely insane that i can have several house lots, but i can only directly travel to one of them.

Mishikal and Scanphor like this.
  15. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

I suppose it's because you are only supposed to be able to "bind" yourself to one place at a time, I've also noticed that you can still recall back to a home that you have bound to even though you have demolished it and moved somewhere else - this might cause problems for your multiple home binding suggestion.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Some people find it enjoyable to "run" the overworld, hoping to meet someone to chat with - while others simply want to get where they're going quickly.
    I'm all for quickly and less boredom. ;)
    I reckon that puts me in the "keep the teleports" camp.

17. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Its simple , you should be able to either teleport to house lots aswell as people , or the recall scroll should give the same menu as teleport scroll where you chose where to recall to.

FrostII and Scanphor like this.
  18. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Do think this is a good compromise to regional markets, they have not worked on Novia and therefore became just an inconvenience rather than a good game mechanic.

Making regional market continent based with continent based exclusive materials. Could work even better with ships etc. But needs time sink or gold sink or both, as Arkah says before, when travelling between continents. Maybe even a charge based on the weight the avatar is carrying. This could then give a player run ship freight mechanics a viable option.

Regards
    Spung

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I voted to keep it as it is, but only because there were no other options presented. I don't like the current functionality either, but I absolutely 100% feel we need fast travel - more fast travel, not less.

The regional economy ship has sailed, its not going to happen unless housing is completely redesigned which at this stage I find highly unlikely. Nobody sells things regionally, they take it home and list it on their personal CF vendor or list it in a market town. Nobody sells gold ore cheaper in the town next to the gold mine and pays commission fees, it just doesn't happen, and wont happen without a severe economic re-think. With global banking becoming a thing the regional economy is less of a thing. There's no longer any reason to artificially limit player mobility around the map. It was a nice idea in a vacuum, but the reality is that a lot of these 'old school' beloved frustration systems were implemented to support content/ideas that are no longer there. The game has had to let go of some of this to appeal to the modern gamer who does not want/need artificial timewasters that add no benefit.

I personally dread the prospect of waiting for my entire team to get to the zone we're going to - it already takes them 10 minutes WITH teleport scrolls, if everyone had to walk then this small spark of grouping we're seeing would die a hard death.
    Not to mention what this will do to events - I'm much less likely to go to an event if its going to take me 20 minutes to walk/find my way there instead of teleport to someone.

Id' much rather see players have the ability to find/earn/craft placeable teleport stones as home/town deco to 'make' travel hubs, or have some sort of runebook functionality or make the lunar rifts actually a reasonable/reliable travel method (ie, no timers, just serve as a hub), than have "teleport to friend." I 100% agree teleport to friend is stupid. But until there's a viable alternate system I wont vote to kill it.

majoria70, FrostII, Mishikal and 3 others like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree keep it as it is for now. I want them to improve it later though. Imagine opening up a gate like we did in UO. that was the coolest thing and ability to provide gates for others because you had high skill in it. We don't have fun things like that of course with the you can do everything aspect of this game but what if there were some things you could not do everything in like specializations that added some of these special skills.

ebonmark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.