Double xp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anticules, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I respect your opinion but simply put, if they didn't have 2x XP, this game would be completely dead right. I am a casual hard core which means I have a life, family and work 50 hours a week and I only made adv lvl 100 in the first 2 years of this game since persistence. That means I tried to play it as much as possible with thousands of hours into it for adv lvl 100. Think about that from a new players perspective. On the flip side hard cores had adv lvl 120 in the first few months. I almost quit before 2x XP and now Im putting 4 times more time into playing then I did before it.

If we had started with 2x XP as a norm, I would bet this game would be vastly more populated and that population would cure all ill's in this game that people wrongly assume is something else (like for example, 2x XP).

2x XP should be the actual XP in this game.... World of Warcraft had what 10 million players and it only took me ~3 months to completely max a new character up to lvl 70 in that game and enter all end game content. Even with 2x XP in this game, 2+ years later, I cant do end game stuff.

Other then that... who cares if people advance faster, how does that really effect you? What effects you most is low population brought about by no one playing the game because it takes to long to advance.

Innascual Inch, Dhanas, Katu and 6 others like this.
  2. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I do respect your opinion and everyone elses here too.

But since everyone wants to rush to the endgame content how about we just add a button at the character select screen that says "Create ADV Level 120 Character"?
    Then everyone can enjoy the endgame content right on!
    Btw. it's still an endless grind wether you hit endgame content or not.

I invested thousands of hours as well to get to ADV Level 102 and imo with ADV Level 100~ you can take part on all endgame content.

I think what's more critical is the death penalty in form of xp depth when you die as an ADV Level 120 or so, that should be adjusted somewhat imo.

Now believe it or not, but i would be totally ok if they just make the x2 xp bonus permament.
    That way we could all go back to normal buisness and people would actually play the full week again.

The only "negative" sideeffect i see there is that people will steamroll through the lower content, which imo is just sad for an mmo.
    So yeah, might as well just add the "Create ADV Level 120 Character" Button.

But hey, what do i know :D

Olthadir and Sole like this.
  3. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

For the long term health of a game, past players "time investment" in the game has to trivialised. Else new players just quit when they realise they can never compete, they don't need to be able to completely catch up, but they have to be able to compete within a reasonable time frame.

As the years have past, the length of what is considered a "reasonable" time frame has drastically reduced.

And i disagree that double XP has made crafting progression easy. It hasn't, GM all crafting skills has always been nothing since i started (18 months ago), only enchantment and masterwork really matter. Even with the XP pool, the time and more importantly resource requirements to get up the level is still VERY significant.

I would say potions of guidance is a MUCH bigger impact on crafting than double XP.

Regards
    Spung

4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

If it was/is just about new players (@Chris? ) there would be a better idea to grant this:
    Increasing quest XP (x4). These XP points can gained only one time. So only people who should participate would :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Nikko and GrayFog like this.
  5. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

We must play a different game then. Double XP hasn't made crafting progression easy?
    Double XP has made crafting progression extremly easy, almost to the point where it is not really worth mentioning, including enchanting and masterworks.
    You do know why the wood prices are skyrocketing currently, right?

I have nothing against trivilizing "time investment" for newer players. But this is a little bit too much imo.
    You can easily get 15mil+ xp (20 if you are really hardcore) into your crafting xp pool in just one x2 weekend...
    Which means in just 2 weekends you can GM pretty much all crafting skills (excluding masterwork/enchanting).
    In just 2 weekends you can have an crafting xp pool of 30-40mil, that's just totally sick o_O

Yes i think we are playing an totally different game there.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Wow... haven't thought about that turd in years.

Daigoji Gai and GrayFog like this.
  7. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

You can still play it if you want, i had lots of fun doing so 4 or 5 years ago :D
    https://www.net-7.org/

:D

Okay maybe not if you didn't like it anyways, but hey...

8. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Wait, Westwood's Earth and Beyond? Man, that had so much promise. Loved you got to create your pilot and could walk around inside stations.
    I really wanted that to succeed. I spent so much time in the beta.

GrayFog likes this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I thought it got shut down completely...

OH! Emulator. Pass. No nostalgia attack over that one.

GrayFog likes this.
  10. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yup, EA shut it down completly, but theese guys over there at NET-7 somehow managed it to get it up again.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

[​IMG]

12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Understandable, but it is really good.
    But can't tell what changed the past 5 years, so no idea if it is still good :p

Sorry, my english sucks, spelling, phrasing and grammar and all that stuff :p

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I just wish the double xp was fair for everyone, like for the people like me who work weekends. :mad:

Though, I can spend a little time when it is on.... but not much.

Spungwa and GrayFog like this.
  14. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

What you're saying makes absolutely no sense. It is 2x. If you could get 6Million crafting XP in one day before, it would have taken you 2 days prior to 2x crafting XP being a thing. If it took you 1 Month to get to adventurer level 100 during 2x XP, then you're talking about two months before. Think about what you're saying here. It's simple math.

I'd really love to see/know how you got 6 Million crafting XP in 24 hours. Also, to get to adventurer level 100 in 1 month would be spending almost every single waking hour in a zone like Upper Tears. That is not normal, or even remotely fun. I think you're WILDLY exaggerating things. 95% of people are not going to sit in Upper Tears for literally 12 hours a day for a month.

Double XP may be making it easier to reach things we couldn't before, or in less time, perhaps, but it is not this devil of a thing that some people make it out to be. Perhaps we're only seeing people show up in double XP time because they don't feel the reward is worth the time otherwise. This is one of the least "rewarding" games I have ever seen, so double XP, and getting a bit more loot from mobs is hugely welcomed, in my opinion. Some of us do not have 12 to 15 hours every day to play games.

Scanphor and Witcheypoo like this.
  15. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

There is no point in arguing with someone who doesn't believe anything at all and thinks he knows everything better.

Again, i do not completly disagree with the x2 bonus thing.

6 Million crafting xp in 24 hours
    - either craft deadly poison pots the whole day or catapults

Try it for yourself before you point fingers at someone and yelling random stuff like "WILDLY exaggerating things" at someone...

Sorry, i am really are, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

enough said...

16. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Ok so 6 million XP in 24 hours for crafting, unless you want to invest 6 million xp in alchemy or carpentry (basic skills), and not many do, you have only achieved half the equation. 6 million XP in your pool does not make you a better crafter.

Now you have to spend the time and resources investing that XP.

Which is why i said it not double XP that has made crafting progression easier, it is the guidance potion. Personally i'm all for faster crafting progression, crafting progression was brutal compared to adventure progression, the potion just brought it more into balance.

Regards
    Spung

Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Yes i'm all for the double XP reward being 24 hour potions that are account bound and therefore NON TRANSFERABLE.

edit: and they have to expire after say 60 days, else someone with an alt account can save them up and sell the account.

Regards
    Spung

18. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

6 million craft xp in just 1 day, think about it.

6 million x 3 days (weekend x2 bonus days) = 18 million xp, can be even increased if you really go crazy.

But i agree it is also the guidance potion that makes things a lot easier.
    But it definetly is the x2 bonus too.

In the end i guess we can agree to disagree with each other.

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

If "double XP" events makes people enjoy the game more, then there's something wrong with the base game system(s):
    • Either the XP given without the bonus doesn't feel right.
    • This Role Playing Game is too heavily focused on the acquisition of numerical power and there's something wrong with how someone gains said power.
    • Or both...

I'm with @GrayFog on this one: you either remove it or you make it a standard part of the game.

As someone who's nowhere near capable of dishing out (or taking) the amount of damage, I can tell you that the XP bonus does nothing to help me "catch up". What enables people to be so powerful isn't so much the skill levels, but the skills themselves. If I don't use the same skills (and items) as they do, I cannot compete in any practical manner.

As a tangent yet related comment: Gaining more XP while flagged for PvP is missing the point of PvP. It doesn't improve the game... it just baits people into participating in PvP when they clearly didn't want to in the first place... otherwise, they'd be flagged regardless of XP bonus.

20. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

The wood prices are going up because of the demand on basements and people buying it so they can make basements on this new release.

Witcheypoo and Nikko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.