Runebook Test Run

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reesian, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Avatar

The current travel on overworld is considerable faster than travelling in World of Warcraft we don't need faster.

2. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

That's symptomatic though (and hence potentially resolvable). The root issue is loading performance. Which totally will get solved because @Lord British be all like "Hey, Chris Roberts, give us some object container streaming tech laters and I'll buy you a beer, since we're like, creating worlds again and sh*t."

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

...and a durability so that you have to make more every now and then.

Isn't he still trying to make a game that still isn't yet to the point where it is actually playable? (Tech demos don't count.) And performance? Heh.

Astirian likes this.
  4. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Flying mounts make the perception of travel far less obvious, load times are seamless in comparison when I used to play and a zone would keep you interested with multiple quests lines drawing you through it in a linear manner that negated the need to think. It also I expect currently has nye on 6,001,000 active accounts at anyone time all paying subs where as SotA has probably 1-2,000 at peak times with majority not subbing.

It also has global auction houses which would be a mahoosive plus for our game but that's probably another whole thread of disagreement ;)

I see a few more folks posted up their anti to rune travel but tbh no real reasons why not, as others said, having it won't affect your game other than there will be less people walking about on overworld map as you haven't got to use it if that's your personal preferred method of gaming. TBH you won't see 90% folks anyway playing the game as there's no real incentive to go multiplayer unless it's for UT LFG, PvP or like minded role players you probably bump into anyways whether there's runebooks or not.

Lots of decent changes to the game that make it a game for the majority of gamers whatever the age or perceived level of 'easy mode' in R57 and if easy mode means runebooks so I can hit stuff opposed to either look for a 'friend' on my false friend list to port to or walk across a tedious map layout that adds nothing to my game experience, then give me the easy mode badge to wear any day of the week.

MrBlight, licemeat and Nib like this.
  5. oplek

oplek Avatar

Fixed it for you.

6. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I second his modified quote. Speak for yourself. I don't find it boring to travel at all.

Witcheypoo and Gavin Fhaergus like this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Drink a potion of Wolf Speed, and head off to the world map and get to anywhere really fast. There’s also the Lunar Rift. It’s plenty fast to get anywhere now.

Just be sure to drink the potion before you go to the world map though..... otherwise, it’s 3 loading screens to drink just one.... :mad:

8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I just jumped into R57 and I have to say, seeing those gates open from Drachvald to the south and traveling through the Desolis desert on the Overworld at night was an absolute joy. Now I feel like going somewhere, anywhere, is fine - no dramas.

Seeing a thing enough permits you to fall in love with it! The trip up to Britain from Trinsic the first time... Imagine missing that!

Witcheypoo and Jaesun like this.
  9. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

It's on the verge this one. Seriously. I dare you to log in, fly to an atmospheric planet/moon and land on it and not crack the biggest bloody grin. :) It's a lot more playable than it used to be. Performance-wise I place it SotA circa 2016/17 for me and I'm running a 4 year old rig now. You can tell the performance hits are the engine loading entities over the network (much like SotA I would suspect)... This is where containerization and streaming come in.

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

False, there are valid reasons for teleport scrolls. Getting party members together, going directly to multi-layered instances (Such as The Rise), etc.

MrBlight, FrostII, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Because I'd rather the devs spend their time on stuff we need, instead of shaving a minute off of my travel time.

12. Sylence

Sylence Avatar

Runebooks - YES

13. reesian

reesian Avatar

All the arguments that mean anything to the devs, have been voided by the devs in the quality of life post. That is the whole point of the post.

14. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

+1 for runebooks (or similar)

licemeat, FrostII and Mishikal like this.
  15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

How about No, again... No, No, Noooo... Rune books and marking Runes is an old hate concept, been there., done that...

New idea: when using Teleport scroll, it take you to the lunar rift scene where you can crank the mirror manually to your destination or you can use your pocket mirror, to aim the energy to your desired destination (on the over world or inside the town, you choose)...

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm giving a +1 to the OP.

As for those of you who say NO, I have a couple of questions:

How does MY ability to get where I want to go with only 1 loading screen - affect YOU ?

YOU don't have to have/use one at all, so why would you vote it down for the rest of US ?

Witcheypoo, reesian, licemeat and 2 others like this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Maybe because some of us realize it will totally destroy travel in the game on the almost worthless overworld map - it'll be the final nail in the coffin for that, sieges, moongates, the entire planetary system, scroll vendors, and we have the right to speak up about it.

18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Well, if you make it consume a teleport scroll as a reagent, then it keeps scrolls around just fine. ;)

As for the rest of it. I rarely do sieges now, never used a moongate, unless that's what the standing stone teleporter is called, and I just did that when starting out. Sieges still have worth (for example, wood. Especially with the price for wood skyrocketing), so it's not clear to me why they'd be dead.

Scanphor likes this.
  19. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Agree completely. No runebooks.

20. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

However, you're right in that they pretty much gave up completely on the idea of regional economics with global accessible banks and complete avoidance of control points, etc. Too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.