Runebook Test Run

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reesian, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You still have not addressed my question as to exactly how MY using fast travel affects YOUR ability to "travel" the overworld .

licemeat and Mishikal like this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Please do this dev team. Make rune books great again. We the people have spoken.

Fungus, FrostII and licemeat like this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

If Runebooks are introduced, nobody will be using the overworld. We'll all be using runebooks. Out of necessity, if not requirement. That's how.

A big NO to Runebooks ! This is not UO.

4. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Runebooks will eliminate all the fun and excitement that is associated with the overworld. Sign me up.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Lord Trady of Blix
    That alone tells you just how popular wasting time on the overworld is, now doesn't it. ;)

Scanphor, licemeat and Mishikal like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Au contrair my dear Frostll - We need to IMPROVE the overworld and make it worthwhile, not eliminate it !!

Make the Overworld Great Again !!!

Astirian and Metalton like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Runebooks were one of the most popular additions to UO - and, lest we forget - UO is still running after 20 years.

Witcheypoo and Bow Vale like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Alas, one can not make something great AGAIN, if it was never GREAT to begin with.

Mishikal likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

My solution to this problem is a different one. instead of Janky Runebooks, give us a rare artifact drop to loot tables - the orb of the moons. Allows you to open a red moongate to any one of the moongate locations. Move moongates to the overworld map. That will solve things in an Ultima way, without compromising the overworld travel which is good for the games health.

Astirian likes this.
  10. Vampiero

Vampiero Avatar

We already have a rune book, its called our friends list, fully implemented and functional. I see no reason not to put the actual book into the game.

It should not be any more of a gold sink than crafting the book and learning a mark or similar spell to designate the location, and must be charged with teleport scrolls. Would need to lower the drop rate of said scrolls to boost the economy, where as its easier to buy the scrolls then pick them up off corpse's. Could also add a rune book, greater rune book, and master rune book recipe, each taking a rare ingredient in addition too the normal ingredients needed to make a book and each adding an addition # of locations mark-able per book. You could also make it so you have to have the book in your hand to actually recall from it, once again a chance to increase economic use, as "rune book libraries" like from the UO wouldn't work, because you would actually have to control the book, so marked / charged books would be profitable, but still costly to make. To further help the economy you could actually make the book capable of having a durability, and the additional +durability bonus for exceptional crafts, but like everything the sudden boon to the economy would quickly fall, as everyone can do everything in Shroud, so eventually everyone can make there own +5 Master Rune Book.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Your "we'll" includes you, right ?
    So, you're admitting that if runebooks were available - you would use them.
    Why?
    You could still run/walk the overworld, right ?

Mishikal likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Since you seem to be having trouble with this, let me make an analogy for you that is simpler.

Let's say I have a sword that is working perfectly well, but someone advocates for a better sword to be added to the game.

Some say, no, it's not necessary, don't add the sword, the one we have is okay. Others want the better sword.

Once the new sword is in the game, should everyone stick to using the old sword ? The new sword becomes the De Facto weapon

and the old one is obsoleted.... the end... Lovers of new sword rejoice, and proponent of old sword miss it.

Is that clear enough now ???

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

What it boils down to is choice.
    If you like to mosey across Novia, smelling the flowers, fighting the bandits, exploring the encounters - you can do this.
    If you would rather avoid it entirely, amassing a network of tele-friends as an alterantive - you can do this too. This already happens.
    You can also avoid a significant chunk of Novia via the underground Network if that's your thing. Maybe you like tunnels. I personally use the underground as a preferred route to some locations because I like the stuff I get on the way.

Just because we have teleport scrolls - not everyone uses them all the time. There's a cost, albeit small, to their use and convenience. Some people it breaks their immersion, and they have the choice to pretend they don't exist. Doing so doesn't affect anyone else (unless your group is waiting on you, I guess) and other people using them doesn't affect -you-. I typically evaluate how far I have to go and decide tele-or-walk. If its just from Desolis to Brittany, I walk. If I'm having to cross a CP, I'll likely tele. Now that CPs aren't a thing, I'll likely walk a bit more, depending on destination.

For me its always been a matter of load screens. A teleport scroll or runebook-like-thing would be one(1) load screen. Walking, now that all the nuisance siege/encounter stuff is optional and/or less enthusiastic about chasing me, suddenly doesn't seem quite so onerous.

I want a runebook-like-thing not so much for the few minutes I'll save going about my everyday business, but because I think the learning, crafting, and trading of such things, the setting up of hubs, libraries, etc. adds something to the community and if implemented properly, the market, town appeal, etc. It can provide cash sinks if we still need more of those.

Like the teleport scrolls, if someone finds it non immersive, DONT USE IT.

Some people think sparkly dye is non immersive, so don't use it. I haven't seen a campaign to eradicate its existence.
    Although it wouldn't surprise me....

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Seriously there is no reason not to do this.

- The regional economies didn’t work.
    - Friends list already let people fast travel
    - The overworld map is getting more interesting however is fairly pointless if a player just wants to get from A to B
    - Runebooks will encourage better exploration
    - Runebooks will help promote trade for players who don’t live in the most popular locations
    - Runebooks will allow for player run libraries
    - Runebooks will enhance revenue for the game through ornate covers and ornate books with more slots

Allow players to mark anywhere in none dungeon areas with dungeons marking at the nearest entrance.

Runebooks were one of the most loved and treasured mechanic in UO......

Witcheypoo, Fungus, Scanphor and 6 others like this.
  15. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Yesterday I saw a guy with a beard running around in a cycling dye nurses outfit complete with high heels and a horse mask on. I don't think using a magic scroll to teleport around the world is that much immersion breaking

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm a yes for runebook type of travel and marking a rune but we could have a limited amount of them that can be marked to keep us on our toes. Or we could earn them or find them some way.

And also if we had more reasons to be on the maps too then there would be times to map travel. Perhaps our x marks the spot will be on the overworld map when treasure hunting comes in. Then other times we have reasons we might want to use our runebook . A lot of ideas from the past for reasons to be on the map.

I also loved having a gate portal system. I would be interested to see it for example where players specializing in whichever specialization that would be could open up gates to places they have in their runebooks for others. I think it would also be awesome if it was an upper tier specialization skill needed and not everyone will choose that specialization of course. Anyway well if we get those skills one day. ;) That would imo help to make specializations even more important and a more interesting choice to have to make.

In my opinion one of the biggest complaints and I said 1 of is that players are lost and confused. If there was hope that everything is obtainable and manageable it would really help in this spread out world. Hanging out with a new player today was hard to watch. They don't even know where to begin sometimes and then they want to leave eventually. I say we unfrustrate them. I don't say easy is better, I say we got a world that is pretty frustrating to figure out quite often or sometimes even to those of us who know it better. So some thoughts.
    edited

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Lord Trady of Blix
    Nope.... You can still use the old sword if you choose to do so, but why would you - if, as you say, the new sword is better ?

I think that what you and a few others want is an overworld full of people to walk around and chat with, and are bent on keeping others there even tho' the others have expressed dissatisfaction with what they see as wasted time getting to the part of the world that they wish and reduce the boring screen loading times.
    You'd like to force them to be on an overworld that you envision as the great meeting place, by denying fast travel to them.

Scanphor, licemeat and Mishikal like this.
  18. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

people been asking for this for years so might as well.

I would still love to see global chat as well to help with new players.

licemeat likes this.
  19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Here's what is funny. Now that CPs are gone, I'm using the world map *more* than before, because I hate using teleport scrolls if I don't have to. :p

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

FrostII yes, I do think the overworld is a great meeting place. When new players are constantly saying "Where is everyone, the game is dead" with an overworld you can see them ! the world is not dead - with a Runebook, that'll all be gone.

It is a good thing that the devs have not mentioned Runebooks and there's no plans to include them. Hallelujah !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.