Runebook Test Run

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reesian, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

You're assuming players run around in multiplayer mode. I don't. So while I may be using the world map more, new players still wouldn't see me. About the only time I go into multiplayer is if I'm at a social function (like a dance party).

FrostII and SmokerKGB like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

And even on multiplayer, who just stands around on the world map?
    I mean obviously some people do, but its not like you can spend an hours-long play session just on Novia, there's nothing to do there.
    Most of the people I've met, that I didnt meet through other people or guild, I've met either in a town, or more commonly, in an adventure scene.
    Runebooks or not runebooks is not gonna change that one bit.

Honestly the main reason I think people think the game is "dead" is there's no global chat - and I agree with the very good reasons why we don't have this, but most games do have some iteration of this which immediately upon login shows people playing and doing stuff. Not everyone is gonna introduce themselves on the forum to find new people - I think getting new people meeting existing people is an important issue, but its a separate one, that is not really related to our travel options.

FrostII, SmokerKGB, Scanphor and 2 others like this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

This happens ALL the time. Spend a little time on the Overland map and you'll see it.

Nobles do. I think there should be an outlander's orb to allow commoners to chat.

kaeshiva likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I believe you. Mostly tho, when I see people stood on overworld, I wave, meow, emote, etc. and get no response, they are usually afk. I don't think I've ever struck up a conversation/made a new friend that way. Not saying it can't happen, but I imagine the majority of people are off doing stuff....

FrostII, Scanphor and Mishikal like this.
  5. reesian

reesian Avatar

All loading times have not been sped up. I suggest fast forwarding through them. Most scene changes are 15-20 seconds.

6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Sorry, but I can't give you an answer to your questions, at least not an answer you can accept... IMO, this is one of the reasons for UOs demise, it was abused... People used it with macro programs to destroy the economy, destroy resources, and to play the game without actually being involved (afk on auto pilot)... Some areas of the UO map were "blackholed" never to be repaired, ever again because of some players stupidity and / or abuse...

If you want to discuss alternatives to rune books, I'm all ears... I even suggested one idea here... But everyone is focused on just one concept: Rune books... And player marked runes...

I vote no, think of something that hasn't been done before...

Chatele and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  7. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Is this sarcasm? (I'm hoping so) I'm struggling to see what possible 'fun and excitement' the overworld map generates to a non roleplayer especially as I play in private / party mode 99% of the time. I dodge stupid immersion scenes that I just jump out of (extra wasted screen loading time). I have to ensure the world map is open in another browser as the in game version is hopeless and very laggy so I can head in the right way, and then I have to endure another loading screen to enter the zone I want to go to where as porting would be far simpler with one loading screen and no faff that like many puts me off playing and supporting the game long term.

As previously stated if you love interaction with other on the map, be it role playing or whatever, then thats great as the current system works for you; it just doesn't work for the majority of today's gaming market who are put off playing the game and ensuring the game prospers.

I especially don't want to waste my time standing around chatting to a new random person on a world map, I can do that via a /whisper as I am in a zone or via Discord and if I really feel the need to interact with anyone then it's more than possible to do that within one of the cities dotted around the map where the RP'rs / new friends frequent, so why do I need to be punished on what quite frankly is an element of the game that isn't needed and development could be easily directed to more important features to enable player interaction.

Where as I see it that stuff like brewing and fishing are pastimes that totally wasting dev time when they could be developing runebooks and auction houses which the majority of potential paying modern day gamers that Port would like to attract would prefer to see.

Money talks and Port seem to be accepting that with some dramatic changes that we were told emphatically 'NO' to up until quite recently even though many players have clamored for and been shot down, mainly by the few (probably original large monetary contributing) backers and the purists that haven't got to fund a games existence.

The games moved on and this is an essential addition for it to prosper IMHO

8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I remember some games ceased to exist, when they added zap here there type mechanics . It ruined game play, .... takes the fun out of exploring etc. With everyone zapping all over the place because they were too lazy to travel or use the fast horses, you never saw anyone, places looked dead, . I like the idea of mounts added for fast travel instead. Don't want rune books, we don't need them, it already is easy to get to where you want to go, gessh already....

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Especially in R57, getting around has never been easier. Good point Chatele - this would also ruin mounts stretch goal.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Many zones are dead even during peak times, mainly due to the overall lack of players that don't play SotA mainly because it's too clunky and user unfriendly, Port have made massive strides in recent times to rectify this and this is another necessary step to towards the goal of adding real people and not bots to the player base. I would also argue that porting enable areas to stay alive longer as in a different sandbox game I am playing I was genuinely surpised at the amount of people in zones that are five years old with so much more content than what I'd expect SotA to have by the end of Ep. 5; runebooks would enable todays generation (and those of us who hate current format) the easy access without the (IMHO) unnecessary immersion.

divert mount stretch to boats, and treasure hunting. Both would be a greater asset to games longevity ;)

Witcheypoo and Mishikal like this.
  11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

This is simply NOT true... Multi player seems dead because we have the option of NOT playing there, I believe that the "majority" of players are in single player... I could be wrong, so don't quote me...

@FrostII How about this for an idea: The Lunar rifts need to be added to the outside of town they are in (on the overworld map, an energy beam shining skywards, visible for miles), then a new Hotkey needs to be added for "teleport screen", you will need to have scrolls in your inventory to use, on this new interface there is a "To Player: ___" at the top where you type the players name (if they're offline a red arrow, green arrow if online) with a list below that showing the eight Rifts with a blue arrow for present destination...

If you're in town scene, the teleport takes you to that town scene that you select from the list...

If you're on the overworld, then the teleport takes you to outside of the town you select from the list...

I think this to be a fair compromise for "fast travel" without too much development or scraping what we have now...

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Why do people keep focusing on teleporting to people in towns? There are plenty of other spaces one teleports to that have nothing to do with towns, and "solutions" that are based around towns don't solve that. This is particularly the case for multiply-deep nested scenes (For example, The Rise).

13. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

the quote is in direct relation to the discussion that runebooks killing the atmosphere and fun of meeting people in game so my point is multiplayer mode is dead as much as the parrot therefore runebooks won't adversely affect or detract current or potential player experience. Do away with world map, port to towns and make those areas compulsory multiplayer (once lag sorted out when more than X player in zone)

Mishikal likes this.
  14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Personally, I like the World Map and think it needs to remain. It has plenty of useful function (Siege hunting, random encounters, etc). In fact, I've been using the world map more now that CPs are gone. But agreed, you won't see me on it since I'm in solo mode. Plus it just offers a visual sense of connectivity. But I really don't see how a Runebook would ruin anything. It just formalizes the function that a friend's list already serves.

licemeat likes this.
  15. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

No Runes

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Chatele likes this.
  16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think you misc understand, you have the option of typing a player name (to see if they're online or offline) to teleport to them or select a rift from the list... Depending on if your in the town scene or on the overworld, it take you to that scene in a single load... You do this from any location, this is just for teleport, recall works the same, you can set your recall point to your house or the nearest town crier that's close to the Rise, eliminating at least a couple of load screens...

I don't agree with going farming in the Rise, then teleport to your house or banker to dump your loot, then straight back to the Rise to do more farming...

This will never happen...

17. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

The world to me really isn't all that big. It is easy enough to travel now that there is no going through CP's etc... Horses will make traveling on the road faster and more fun, and Boats to traverse the seas making using boats more useful travel wise., not to mention someday those balloons will be able to float across the skies. I really see no need for the rune books.. What I would like to be able to do with the in game maps is be able to mark them for places of interest to mark hidden treasures on the map etc. And to repeat (one of the reasons you do not see a lot of people in multi player, is they are either in off line mode, or solo mode or friends mode, or taking a break from the game, and runebooks will make it worse and not better . ) I know a lot of you want to use the friends list just for friends and not for clicking on them for fast travel. So then the simple answer to that is, DON"T FRIEND ANYONE WHO ISN'T A FRIEND. Problem solved. JMHO

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Lord Trady of Blix and SmokerKGB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.