Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Jumping is Performed After Spacebar Released

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by marczak, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

Personally, I like it. Anything that discourages people from bunny hopping all over the place is a bonus in my book.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The jumping mechanic threw me off too. Couldn't really master it the few times i tried it. It works but wasn't intuitive for me.

3. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Agreed. While some here are saying "SotA isn't a platformer", really, once you add jumping to a game, you've opened up that door.

Platforming games are the best reference for jump mechanics, because that's basically all those games have going for them.

I'd rather see a Mario/Mega Man style jump where the duration I hold space bar in for determines how high I go. It's more intuitive, and what most people who jump around a lot are probably used to.

4. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

I also like the way jump works and love the idea of stamina attached to it. It's different and make the players actually think when they jump as opposed to just bunny hoping along. I get your point and for other games I feel it's fine but not for this one.

5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

You can easily have stamina/encumbrance when you jump on press, not release. The system would just change the max height before it automatically pulls you down.

Hey, let's make the word JUMP pop up on the screen, and you have to type J U M P to jump. If you only type J, then you don't jump as high. It's different, and makes the players think when they jump.

Kilhwch likes this.
  6. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I like it so far . its realistic and it takes away that annoying looping macro jump.

docdoom77 and Carlin the Archer like this.
  7. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

I have to say, a big problem occurs if you're moving forward and attempting to jump over an obstacle.

I went toward a fence and pressed the spacebar, holding it down as long as I could before reaching the fence. When I released it, I didn't make it over the fence.

When you're stationary, there's an animation that shows you how low you're crouching for a jump. When you're moving, you don't get this feedback.

You also cannot accurately tell how much running room you need before making a jump. The result is that you just run in place, rubbing up against the fence, until you wait out however long it is you need to hold down the button before releasing and jumping over.

This s clunky and does not play well.

8. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Personally I've found jumping to work really well... I'm jumping fences like I'm doing the hurdles at the olympics :) I think it just takes a bit of practice.

Jambo, Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  9. Carlin the Druid Archer

Couldn't agree more.

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
  10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I agree. I didn't have much problem using the jump effectively. Sure it took a bit of practice to get the hang of, but then it was simple as pie.

Mishri likes this.
  11. Carlin the Druid Archer

Once they add some kind of 'stamina cost' to jumping, influenced by player weight that will be even better again - last thing I want to see is lots of kangaroos bouncing around.

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
  12. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Many people have to get used to the fact that SOTA IS going to be different. So many people on here are complaining that "insert game name" does not do this so why does SOTA? well there is one simple reason.... that game IS NOT SOTA. We backed this game to have them develop a new game with new ways of doing things and not being afraid to be different. If LB was afraid to try new things and just do what everyone else does, then games like Utima Online would have never happened. You might not like some changes now, but wait for the full package before you complain about small peeks they are giving us.

That is just my 2 cents. I have full trust in LB and the Dev team to pull out a really good product in the end. People have to remember that most games you try before release are beta tests. These small glances are PRE-alpha tests not even alpha yet and will have many more changes yet.

As for the jumping ... I love it! It is a new idea and has a lot of new possibilities it can open.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its still pretty easy to bunnyhop with the key setup as it is.

What I find a bit unnatural is that you can't long jump without moving first.

14. marczak

marczak Avatar

I think the thing that threw me off is the difference between jumping from standstill, where you get the animation, and jumping while running, where there really is no indication.

I'm willing to give this a chance and presume the animation and mechanics are going to improve.

15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yeah for your consideration on different jump options (possibly by holding down a key while running to do a high jump vs long jump and then pressing space)

now obviously the high jump is a bit odd, and all of these aren't your typical jumps... but if our avatars are athletic, we can expect something a bit different than what we have.

I'm fine with jumping how it is now, but if they wanted to change anything this is what I'd consider, although somewhat extreme examples.

16. Borg

Borg Avatar

I didnt find it intuitive at first but when you get used to it, works really well, once you get used to the timing its kinda realistic. My only concern is how would this system impact on pvp, in other games jumping is a common defensive move and if you have to prepare for jumping hmm then it just wont work as a defensive move. Maybe a space bar double tap could be used as defensive jump at a higher stamina cost?, or maybe some special key combinations like hitting space while pressing side/back moving keys.

17. jason silverain

jason silverain Avatar

Jumping mattered in Asherons Call.

~Jason

18. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Amusingly enough, I never tried jumping from standing still, just from running and from there I noticed the hunkering down animation from holding the space bar while moving so its definitely there.

I've also played Saints Row 4 with the super power jump of high flying, so the concept is familiar to me even while we're pulled a lot more to the ground than that particular game. Theres a bit of sponginess to the jumping when I tried it that threw me off, so I was having all kinds of issues just trying to hop over walls between lots that were knee high, so I'd kind of like a vault motion for when you're up against something like that that you'd potentially realistically be able to just hop over with help.

... then again, trying to vault in full plate mail would probably be a pain and a half. :)

NRaas and docdoom77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.