1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

UPDATED: We Are Beary Beary Sorry

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

[​IMG]

So funny thing about bears is that they are very clever about seeming to be where they are not.

When we did the confirmation and regression test to make sure all the new bears had spawners in the game the test we ran came back with positive results. This means that the test said that there was at least one spawner for each of these bears in at least one scene in the game. As we were quickly solving other issues and working on other tasks we took that automatic test as a "good enough" result and moved on to other things. I even went on record assuring all of you that they were indeed in the game which was technically true. What we should have done was actually logged into those scenes and verified the presence of them but we were trying to fix as many things as we could for the next patch.

Unfortunately two of those spawners (Ferocious Obsidian Bear & Obsidian Destroyer) were in a scene that is not actually connected to an entrance that is accessible to players! Oh no!!! It appears that at one point we were working on a Tier 5 variant of Southmarsh but that scene was never connected to Hidden Vale. So when we did the spawner automatic test it found those two spawners and gave us a positive result, even though that was an unconnected scene.

We are so beary, beary sorry that this happened and so many of you wasted your precious time looking for these bears this weekend based on my assurance that they were indeed present. This error will be corrected in the patch that will go live on Wednesday September 5.

I'm not going to spoil the location of the new bears but feel free to PM me and I will tell you.

UPDATE 9/6/18: There are some issues with taming numbers and stats with these bears that we are trying to solve. We understand everyone's passion about taming and please be patient with us as we try to come up with a solution for this.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

At least it was a lot of exploring and fun in a group of bear-hunters.... and at the end trolls needed to suffer :)
    Things like this can happen if tons of stuff needs to be done, I can confirm :D

Chatele, Lord Lonn, Kara Brae and 6 others like this.
  3. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Ummm...... DOH!?!?!?

Witcheypoo and CatherineRose like this.
  4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Um @DarkStarr if you didnt want to give it away, surely you just did by saying teir 5 version of southmarsh?

Solazur, Tila Tenderfoot and Feeyo like this.
  5. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

@DarkStarr Thank you for looking into it further and confirming the issue and fixing it.

6. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Please consider checking the spawns in the future by actually logging in for a couple of minutes. You had numerous players running around the map for 3 days.

Chatele, Lord Lonn, Neonis and 7 others like this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just happy you now have confirmed this. I thought it rather odd NO ONE had found one yet.

Time to get your new bear friends on Wednesday.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

no problem here, I killed hundreds of the new suckers in Ulfeim. If 2 of 4 were missing, no problem here. Its not like you guys really made them any more special then normal bears loot and xp wise (although it seems like I got more bear teeth drops).

9. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I don't mind the searching for the elusive bears.
    I think the new bears should (at least at first) be VERY well hidden.
    The fun is in the search not in the kill or taming.
    After all, IRL when hunting for bears or any prey, there is no assurance that they are going to be discovered easily.

Hide them well and spawn them rarely until everyone has the fun of the hunt.
    Thanks

10. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I completed all of my Portalarium tour guide courses of Mysterious Swamp this holiday weekend. I am defeated but If anyone needs a tour just let me know! :D

11. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

[QUOTE="DarkStarr, post: 11 I even went on record assuring all of you that they were indeed in the game which was technically true.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I agree with this statement. If a scene isn't accessible its not really in the game in my book.

That said you may have just found a really cool game to play in the future. The search for the bears seemed to be pretty sticky.

12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I searched all week end for that bear, last month i searched a full week for scary doll. Can i get a confirmation that scary doll is in? Cause i know its not too. That and aether orb from the lich. (aether mob getting removed but no aether orb ever dropped..) now that would great.

13. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

*sad face*

i was in the hopes that finally something is super extremly rare so that not every Joe arround here can have the same stuff on day 1 after the release :D

Grizzly Adams likes this.
  14. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Aether lich orb actually-actual drops from Southmarsh missing bears. I figured it out by myself.

Creepy doll drops from same bears.

15. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree to rare and spawns occasionally. We can farm everything which gets boring after a while. In ffxiv and a few other games I've played rare creatures appeared occasionally only with special loot. In ffxiv they had a little bit of a glow to them to distinguish them.

Thanks for the heads up though but again I vote for rare and occasional. Surprises and wows.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Chatele, By Tor and Gaelis like this.
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The dolls are not in yet. They do have a JIRA for them though.

18. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I need a JIRA system for my IRL problems. I'd never forget anything!

Spoon, Minerva, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  19. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Also, PM sent. I gotsta find my newest battle buddy.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  20. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Yeah I posted a bug on the fact that the aether orb wasn't dropping in the bug forums and no one ever logged it. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...stilled-aether-instead-of-aether-orbs.137083/

@DarkStarr

Add me to the list of people that are bummed that the aether orb doesn't drop and the spawn will be going away.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.