Newbie greetings & problems...

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by UnbelieverDragon, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnbelieverDragon

UnbelieverDragon Avatar

Greetings!

I am an old Ultima fan from the 80's (Ultima Dragons Internet Chapter [UDIC] name: Unbeliever Dragon).

I watched the SOTA kickstarter with great interest, but enough skepticism that I never pledged. I saw the "go live" announcement, waited a bit longer... and finally started the free trial.

On the whole, it's looking good! But I *DO* have some problems...

1) The quests are way too buggy. Conversation words that don't always trigger a response. Completed quests still showing in the journal (especially if you accidentally get the intended start-of-quest conversation after the quest is already completed). That sort of thing. I suspect there's nothing you guys can do to help with this, but thought I'd mention it.

2) The in-game map completely fails for me. I get "module can not be loaded" or some such. The error message links to a thread that lists all the files that are needed, in case a virus program quarantined them, and tells you about the runtime library you need installed. I DID ALL THAT. Checked that the files are still there, re-installed the runtime library. The map is still broken, and this is becoming a real headache. (The web version is all I have for now.) Does anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

3) Despite the above, I'm having enough fun that I want to pay up and be a full member. But I don't just want digital -- I want the box with the CLOTH MAP and other goodies. It's not available on Amazon yet, and I'm not seeing any other way at THIS point in time to pay for full access now, but still get the box ASAP. Anybody have a way to do this that works? (ALSO: Do we have an actual date that the boxed edition will be on Amazon?)

Thanks for all the help. Everyone in the game is SO friendly. I'm eager to lose my Visitor status... but I still want my cloth map! :)

-- Unbeliever Dragon

2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I know these two individuals (@Budner @Corv) have the box for sale and I am sure others do as well. I would also check the Player Marketplace. Hope that helps!

Budner likes this.
  3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/1037007357136580615
    From Lord British Today

Enjoy And WELCOME!

Laz

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Jaesun like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The quest system is getting an overhaul in the near future. I’m currently going through all the quests in the game currently, and for the most part, they are working just fine (I just got the Duck! Without killing the next person..... :D ).

The quest system was introduced so early on and just wasn’t able to keep up with the new additions to the game. They are well aware of the current state of the current quest system, and they have been doing a bunch of preliminary work for the new system.

When will this happen? Unknown. My *guess* would probably be the next Quarter. Starr always posts a quarterly post explaining what they intend to work on each quarter.

Cordelayne and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yes, they know that, it's on The List to implement a whole new quest system.

Are you running Linux? It doesn't work at all on Linux. But you mentioned virus checking, so I dunno. In the meantime, you can still see it at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ only without the context arrow.

People getting the box now paid for full access by early January 2016, so they didn't get it ASAP either. I'm still waiting for mine to show up at my door any day now. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on Friday when I'll be up in Austin, that would be just my luck.

But at least if you buy a game key from Portalarium on Friday afternoon, you will be eligible for the month's stretch goals. (And sorry, game keys aren't subject to the livestream sales.)

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am in game if I can help @UnbelieverDragon . My in game name is Majoria. Thanks for all your feedback. Welcome to the game. Feedback helps and just know we are still actively developing so it especially helps.

edited

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hello again Unbeliever Dragon! I'm glad you decided to stay.

Re: questing... Yes, it becomes a spaghetti mess in the journal. This is complicated more because all three quest lines are meant to be played in tandem, so you'll get things telling you to go all directions and no idea which is a main or a side quest.

But it's worth it. You have some interesting twists and turns in front of you, and land when you finish it all.

Message me any time you need help figuring out a direction. Even if I'm neck deep in slimes I'll send you advice.

The devs are aware and some day we will get a revamped journal, but for the moment, if you get totally lost or stuck, ask for help.

And most importantly, enjoy your journey!

8. UnbelieverDragon

UnbelieverDragon Avatar

Thanks to everyone. OF COURSE our liege tweeted about Amazon, the very day I lost my patience and posted here. :)

I should have mentioned I'm running Windows 10. There shouldn't be ANY reason for the map code not to load...

I think I need to get a second monitor just to keep the web map loaded and handy... :p

I was worried that as the Portalarium folks started to work on the second chapter of SOTA, they'd stop fixing bugs in the first. Are you guys saying that won't happen? An improved journal (and a system whereby, if you receive a quest you've already completed, you get instant credit and no junk journal entries), would be Just Awesome...

Vlad: Thanks for helping me get to the party; the web map totally lies about where that city is located. I'll definitely whisper your way when stuck. I'll tell ya a secret: This is my first MMO. I've played (and won) all the Ultimas, but I've always been a single-player-game sort. Even started THIS game single-player, before the buggy quests annoyed me and I decided it would be more fun with actual PEOPLE to talk to, share with, etc.

I cannot WAIT for the boxed edition to show up on Amazon... I've always been a sucker for those cloth maps... :)

Thanks again...

majoria70 and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  9. UnbelieverDragon

UnbelieverDragon Avatar

P.S. to Jaeson:

In the VERY FIRST QUEST of the game (Love path), where you rescue the girl from the burning building?

Worked fine in single-player, but when I started over playing online, she just said "thanks for saving me" every time I tried to talk to her, and stayed in the burning building. When I came back later, of course, she was gone, and now I have an unhappy mother in Soltown who'll never see her daughter and I am SAD... :p

I also can't take the letter from the guard in Soltown to Ardoris (which worked when playing single-player). The guard starts the right conversation, but when I click the word that should start the quest and give me the letter, he does/says NOTHING.

Maybe these are just things that happen if you've already solved them in single-player?

Oh, and Majoria: Thanks for the offer. I'll send a friend request in-game... :)

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

My pleasure! I actually knew Krabnevir was there, but just to make sure it was still there looked it upon the map, went there, found out it wasn't, asked Cambria, she said it's right by the Factorium where I knew it was all along, and then I went. I need to bug that.

And the things you just mentioned are bugs as well, nothing to do with single player. Please bug them, it's one of the big things we can all do to keep improving the game. The game is huge and the devs have no possibility of seeing it all.

In chat, if you're out at that location again, type /bug and it will autofill your clipboard with a bug report template and launch the bug report forums. Select "Quest" subforum and if you don't see it already entered there, make a new one. Just Paste in the body and fill in the details. If you do see it there, Like the post to indicate you are also experiencing it.

Also, regarding the unhappy mother until the end of time, I think you get a quest reset even though you are fairly new. So at some point long in the future you may decide to do the whole thing over again (perhaps post-new Journal), and then because you bugged it now ;) you'll get to save Charolette.

11. UnbelieverDragon

UnbelieverDragon Avatar

I can't post a bug report until I'm paid. Your move, Lord British. Refreshing that Amazon page... :)

Vladamir Begemot and Jaesun like this.
  12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Map has been a problem since a long time. Its working for me but every time i press M my screen freeze for 10-15 second the time the map load its pretty dull. Often im just writing to someone and forgot to press enter before writing then all panel start to open (fine) but then the map, which lock me down from playing for 10-15 second. I wish that map system could change

13. Morgana Pendragon

Morgana Pendragon Avatar

This is a known issue (#61705).

EDIT (9/7/2018 3:04 AM): Fixed in Build 828

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. UnbelieverDragon

UnbelieverDragon Avatar

Anyone else have an issue where in-game music instruments (either played by me, or someone else next to me) sometimes make no sound (background music just continues playing)? Minutes later, it might work fine. The instrument doesn't matter (piano, flute, etc). Over the course of an hour of playing music with others, my ability to hear it came and went 3-4 times.

And a dumb question: where in-game (NPC vendor) would one buy a Crafting Tool Repair Kit? :)

I've got 17k arrows crafted in the bank, Just Because I Can... :)

15. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I know I told you Friday night but...

[​IMG]

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello there. It was fun playing songs together. I'm sorry you were having problems hearing them. You are better off just buying new tools. The best thing to do is to later look for someone selling some non breakable ones. Not sure what will be included in the boxed version you are wanting to buy but lets hope for a couple of tools for you. Unbreakable tools would be for example the prosperity ones and artisan ones that were purchasable on the store and through some expired pledges and included in some bundles. So for now bring spares imo. You will figure it out later I'm sure as you see what's what. Let me know if I can help or advise.

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You can get repair kit-tools from combat and armor merchants. They cost 100 gold. Just buying a new tool only costs 80 gold. I think you can quickly do the math on which option is cheeper.....

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.