Concerned about immersion slippery slope

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapatos80, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Couple of questions, @Nakro , if you don't mind.
    This appears to be your 1st post here, so welcome.
    And, since it's your 1st post - how long have you been actually playing ?

Since Port has very obviously already made the decision to allow us to bypass CP's and sieges, and that banks are universal - what purpose do you anticipate your "outrage" here will produce ?

Feedback like this, btw, has a place and it's called Release Feedback Forum.

I know there are a minority ( and my assessment of a minority is based both on Port's own decisions and lots of forum posts/likes etc.. of players like yourself ) who disagree with what Port has done in the way of quality of life improvements.
    And you guys are plenty vocal - as is your right.

However, as a Royal Founder backer who has over 11k hours here since 2014 - I disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment.
    I group daily (and have for these years) with a dozen other founder backers and we are all 100% in complete agreement with these recent changes.

As many have said, we have only so much time every day to devote to this game - and we've always been annoyed that Port seemed fit to want to "decide for us" what we should be doing, when we know full well what we want to do and simply want to get to it without extra boring loading scenes and running thru someplace we have no interest in. These "forced" sidetracks like sieges/CP's just forever got in our way of doing what we've already decided WE want to do.

And since there IS no semblance of a "regional economy", there's no reason for the annoyance of not being able to use any bank - anywhere.

I'm quite happy with these recent changes, and I've been here almost since day 1 - and completely disagree with your viewpoint.

And felt I had to get in here with my own opinion........ ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

What I think you will find is that with the game population never being that large to begin with, and now in sharp decline, they are moving towards more populist MMO conveniences to make the game more palatable.

The question is, however, more palatable for who? A good deal of the stuck-on game population do indeed like the old-school, everything-should-be-hard vibe. And it's unlikely to attract new gamers in any sort of numbers.

Tamsen and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You want to compare old vs new games? Oh okey

Let me give you some facts:

1) if wow kept vanilla style game , it would be dead long ago. Dont try to fool anyone, everyone loved it because it was a new experience, nothing else.
    Grind was way worse than sota with zero reward. Looking for people for a group? Find some , travel to dungeon (15 minutes ) and someone disconnect. Travel 15 min back, repeat.

2) uo? UO would not last 5 years without trammel, it was very simular to sota where it started in a hardcore way and people left in masses before 2000.

Change is a part or life, embrase it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Elwyn, Gorthyn and FrostII like this.
  4. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Not only that, it had virtually instant loading time between scenes. So I could log into my house, recall right outside Covetous lich room in an instant, go in for a grinding session, then recall back home to dump my loot. Or even if I had died, I would still retain my blessed/insured runebook to come back again and again, and - shock horror - I might actually have to find and recover my property back from my corpse! (i.e. every game has a different dynamic/balance in the play cycle).

I digress, but I think that at this point we have to accept that scene loading time is a thing to stay.. Given the number of interactive items in a scene, the amount of custom content in towns etc. this game just cannot be compared to other static seamless worlds.
    So for quality of life in THIS game, I'd prefer MY immersion is not broken by reducing the occurrence of the scene loading screens wherever possible.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

As i've said, it's not a bad thing per se, it's just a completely different model. Nothing wrong with enjoying Marvel movies, but it's not what I go to if I want to enjoy a deep, rich and moving cinematic experience. Same thing here. Just because something is more popular doesn't mean it's better or caters to the same tastes. Thing is, if I wanted to enjoy a Marvel-movie-type MMO, i'd play WoW, not SotA.

Besides, the tendance is actually in reverse now as every dev moved to a casual stream-lined-hand-held experience, the demand for hardcore games is only increasing in recent years, Classic WoW bring the prime example, Dark Souls-type games being another. In any case, the Classic WoW subscription numbers will be very telling of the industry direction, can't wait for Blizzard to release it!

6. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Im too looking forward to WoW classic, as once upon a time looked forward to UO freeshard with classic oldschool feels. I just know that they get boring way too fast. A healthy game evolve and keep people interrested.

7. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Maybe, I guess we'll see :)

Seeing the numbers Nostalrius boasted though, i'm not worried at all about Classic WoW's success ("It was one of the most successful private servers to date, with over 800,000 accounts registered, of which 150,000 were active.")

8. Blightlord Knightmare

Blightlord Knightmare Avatar

Shows like Cheaters and 'Everybody Loves Raymond' are "lowest common denominator" shows, with tens of millions of people watching. Conversely, Mad Men, Rome, etc. smart shows have extremely & pathetically low viewership in comparison. Some low tier family animation, marvel movie, or dramedy pulls in impressive numbers, while something intelligent like a Wes Anderson movie barely breaks even.

Usually the more popular something is (like your precious WoW) the more 'lowest common denominator' it is.

What really confuses me is how people even find games like SotA (and then want to change them to reflect horrifically terrible game play) when they'd obviously be much, much happier playing those casual games like WoW, DSO, ESO, FFXIV, etc. It's bizarre, maybe Portalarium is doing too much marketing or marketing the game wrong and accidentally pulling in people that are painfully and obviously not the right fit for something more intellectual and challenging.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.