Please Make Crafted Foods Have Level Requirements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Hello,

I have been a GM cook since the 4th month I've played with active food vendors for over a year. I can say that no one uses about 80% of what we can cook. I have a public cache chest with low level crafted foods that I can't even give away.

Adventure Level 20 people don't need dragon stew or troll spare ribs. They just don't. If we make foods appropriate to certain levels this would make our entire cookbooks and the other 80% of the food sources in the game meaningful.

Thank you.

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

One thing I like in this game is that there are no level requirements. If you can get something, you can use it.

However, you are correct that this makes low-level gear useless. One of the things that EverQuest did was add a recommended level, that scales the item down if you don't meet the requirement. This could be used here. Say each tier of cooking is a 20-Adventurer Level gap, so the better items are no better than lower tier ones within that gap.

Witcheypoo and smack like this.
  3. Curt

Curt Avatar

Have so that any kind of bonus from gear,food,devotional can't be higher than N% of your base stats basically.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Nelzie likes this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

I only eat bear and wolf surprise anyway. Troll spare ribs has too many negatives to be worthwhile, I don't know why they give one buff and take 3 things away and think that's worthwhile, it's not.

5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Clearly that needs to be revisited.

Baratan likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Not necessarily. Level requirements isn't a better system, and significantly changes how progression is handled. Limiting the benefits works just as well, without making items unusable for players who already invested in them.

smack, Nelzie, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  7. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

That would be a good way of putting a 'soft' cap on foods at lower levels without resorting to an artificial level gated approach. (I presume you mean "can't")

Witcheypoo and Nelzie like this.
  8. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Cooking system as a whole really could use to be revisited, and I agree with you having more meaningful foods across the board is a great idea. I’m not a fan of level restricting foods to force feed lower tier foods to folks though. I am a pretty low adventure level for how long I have been playing because I mostly do things in game that don’t give XP. I can afford higher tier food and use it frequently when I go adventuring, cause I do really need it. Just my two coins. : )

Nelzie, Jaesun, MFWalter and 3 others like this.
  9. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Interesting point! I'm using low level crafted/looted gear atm because I'm not tackling higher level challenges, and occasionally eating a baked fish simply because I have plenty of fish. But now you've mentioned it cooking is probably the only skill where low level products really have no value even for unravelling or basic adventuring. I recently got a lemon bun as a reward for a quest or something, thought 'what's the point of this?' ate it before a fight and didn't even notice its effects.

Not sure I agree with level gating foodstuffs but definitely needs some attention to make many of the products worthwhile.

Witcheypoo, Nelzie and MFWalter like this.
  10. Curt

Curt Avatar

Low skill food would need to get longer duration to.

smack, Nelzie and Olthadir like this.
  11. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Thats one way. My hope is those low lvl foods we will be able to use as crafting components ( among other stuff) to make different types of fish baits .

12. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Can we also get higher intelligence food? Stag meat would be a good choice :)

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

It's just food. It doesn't necessarily have to effect how other craftables are handled. Perhaps just consumables, or even just food like I'm asking. 80% of this skill is useless at the moment because people buy the best they can afford. Also, some cooks are selling at below cost of production which I cannot compete with (but that stupid situation is for another discussion).

That'd be super cool with me.

I'd be super cool with that too.

Intelligence is conspicuously missing as a buff in general, especially with cooking. I wonder if it was an attempt at balancing, @Chris? Why does everyone get more of their base stat except those that use Int?

Witcheypoo, Nelzie and Olthadir like this.
  14. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I fully support this, however it comes out. I just want low and mid tier food to be important.

I use a lot of low tier food for RP, but that is such a small thing here. So more uses would also make me happy.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I have never been a fan of tiered food. I've been going on (off and on) about food/cooking since it's inception. Since the topic has returned.. well it's been a long times since I've done a shameless plug so here we go.. :)

Food Overhaul! Buff modifiers

Sorry it's less than a year old. ;) But that's how I'd overhaul the current system. But to summarize the post it goes something like this..

First, cap the total bonuses from food at around what the combined maximum of 2 obsidian food buffs.. to be exceeded only by top tier foods like dragon stew..

Reduce the number of food buffs to 1.. but rework it so that whenever you eat something, the benefit from that food is added to any existing food buff..

Secondly, the potency of the individual effect will decay based on timing remaining for the buff.

In theory, that means you could achieve the same affect as a high level food with multiple low level foods.. or even use low level foods to replenish an active food buff to keep it going. Only exceeding the usual benefits with more exotic meals.

16. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Reading this 2 different ways.

1. Low level food period regardless of cooking skill should have longer duration?

2. The bigger difference between cooking skill and food level, the longer the duration? Example, 100 level cooking makes a level 20 food, the buff duration is longer than a 50 level cook making a level 20 food.

Nelzie likes this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It is sad that most foods are not useful, but I hope that complaints won’t lead to foods of great value that are craftable by or affordable to lower level players like Bear Steak and Potatoes or Spider Soup being nerfed.

I would appreciate food that gives energy to run faster, like the spell Dash.

18. Apollo31

Apollo31 Avatar

Seriously this is a great idea...I'm not much of a cook..but I make what I use and what sells.....I make nothing of the lower level stuff..no one uses them...

Some kind of balance with adventure level and higher level eats would make the lower level eats more appealing to new or mid level players.... and give those players something to reach for being able to use the high level foods...

anyway..i'm babbling... there is no use for low level cooked foods...higher level are more available and lasts longer...

19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It would be nice if they could be used as deco items... :)

Witcheypoo, smack, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  20. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I don't like the idea of level restrictions. Adventure level has very little meaning in this game, this would change that.

Instead do a food pass and make all food useful. I have written this before, my idea is to make all food useful by standardising the buffs a bit.
    The reason most food is not used is because the buffs it gives are not good enough. If however it gave the same buff as bear surprise but only lasted 1 hour and cost a third of the price, there would be situations where i would use it.

Also there is definitely a lack of decent int buff food.

I also I like Elrond's idea of using it for bait etc. You can't give those food away because they have no use. Who wants a lesser food buff, no one. Decent food is cheap enough that there is no reason to compromise. I say decent because some of the boss food are so expensive in components i would not use them, but non boss component food, i would always get the best stats buff for my build available regardless of level.

Make things useful, don't artificially limit players.

Regards
    Spung

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.