Please Make Crafted Foods Have Level Requirements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Right now food is more or less strictly ranked from best to worst, and the best tier has longer duration, more stats and higher regen. I don’t think this is needed. Make all types of foods have at least one strong side. Higher level food can still be better, but not across the board. Then we would not need level restrictions.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I also disagree with this statement, in my lower levels it was made a more significant difference, yes they don't need dragon or troll but with bear and wolf surprise, i could go to a tier level higher scene because of food (eg tier 3 instead of tier 2 scenes). Now if i forget food it usually just means i run out of focus and have to regen between fights.

Spung

Witcheypoo and Rentier like this.
  3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

They could have things like meat/proteins have the functions that they normally do and pasta and noodle dishes be good for runners, etc. The uses for more exotic ingredients could have unconventional solutions to problems. Food could be used as bait for certain mob types of have utility for taming. Ha, there is at least one positive to all of these systems being so half baked.

4. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Cooking is the only craft i mastered, but i quit cause i couldn't make pizza.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Jaesun like this.
  5. mass

mass Avatar

I know this has been discussed in the past and is not popular with some people, but if they gave us 'hunger' that required food consumption to stave off, lower tier food would have some value. I definitely agree that this is a major issue with food. Like, I actually get annoyed when I open supply bundles to find 'bread'.

6. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I don't think level reqs are a good answer to this problem. with ut and now constant 2xp players wont be at a low level for a very long period of time.

it would be better to rework the lower tier foods to provide different buffs.

of course you could keep some of the stat buffs but adding things like a resist buff or avoid or dodge buff things like that.

the whole system needs love in a couple of releases tho so doubt we see anything till next quarter or the one after but with the new fishing update coming down the pipe we will probably get some new foods and get a idea of what they are going to do with it idk

Spungwa likes this.
  7. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood ‘s comments and thoughtful approach to modifying cooking system is awesome and I would love to see it implemented.

To comment on a couple other points:

I really don’t think this 80% useless is just cooking however. I started a shop to sell low-mid tier archery equipment to new players, so +2 to +10 range bows etc. These don’t sell either, not at a rate that supports the crafting, and not at market price at all. So I had to quickly switch my strategies, and now I run a fairly active trade business. I can sell low to mid tier gear at significantly under cost but that is it. So I have stopped crafting it. I think ultimately it comes down to supply and demand, and there is not a lot of demand for low to mid tier anything.

The lovely thing about Bowen’s solution is it makes low tier foods compelling again and useable across the board, and makes dining on multiple dishes a pretty interesting prospect. It seems it would work no matter the level of player base.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  8. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I agree low-mid tier products of other crafting skills are not worth much either, though I still find them good enough for my own general use; but they can be salvaged to at least get some value back in the form of scrap; and the same raw/refined materials could be used to make higher level products instead which I'm not sure is the case with cooking resources, so that you have more choice of what to do with what you gather. Making cooking more like the other skills in that regard would be ideal IMO.

9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Pizza should give you good ninja skills and possibly the ability swim like a turtle.

Vaentorian likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I don’t personally like seeing items limited.

The actual issue is that the food system is just too outdated and needs to be looked at.

Alioth likes this.
  11. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I am not sure level requirements is the way to go, but a revamp of some kind is needed for sure.

IMO, make it so the the worse the bonus is the longer it lasts, and vice versa. Right now the best buffs last the longest and that makes no sense, should be the other way around.

smack and Vaentorian like this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Issue: Nobody uses or purchases low level food, because they are completely and utterly useless.

Root of the problem: low level food is completely and utterly useless.

How to correctly solve the actual issue:

1. Make low level food actually useful and worth purchasing.

Or

2. Force low level people to use completely and utterly useless food.

How about we go with option 1?

Witcheypoo, Rentier, Spungwa and 2 others like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would suggest the root of the problem lies in the fact that food is tiered in the first place with no additional value coming from skill. Which is why low level food is useless. It's value is static and the buff system as we observe it does not compliment its value or have the flexibility to do so in any meaningful way.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I am sadly disappointed that I cannot display the foods I cook in my shop. This would rock my socks!

That's fair, however low-level food is not useless for people eating it at certain levels. My definition of useless is The system has just made it seem that way and is useless to the cook, not the eater. I'm all for other options besides level restrictions, however, something needs to be done. Either remove them from the game or make them desireable.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Lord Trady of Blix and Kara Brae like this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Exactly. Make low tier food have long duration but low bonus, and each tier up is shorter but more powerful. Then there is a trade off, and a reason to use the majority if recipes.

smack and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've been waiting for food deco since R1. So many events put off for lack of deco and quality food options. :(

3devious likes this.
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Id like to see more of this stuff!!

Witcheypoo likes this.
  18. Blightlord Knightmare

Blightlord Knightmare Avatar

I despise games that use level restrictions and I refuse to play them. Also, I would never eat food if it didn't last at least a few hours, I'm already extremely reticent from using food because its only good for like 5 hours. Forcing me to only be able to use low-level food, I just wouldn't bother. If the stat boosts were maybe x10 what they are and they still lasted at least an hour, then I could see going to the trouble of cooking or buying and carrying food just to keep using over and over again. Instead of inventing ways to try and punish players, how about we just make the food more enticing/better?

There's better ways of implementing something for food than punishing people. Why are we trying to make other players miserable instead of happier? Make the food better, don't punish players because you don't like crafting extremely low level food.

Also, sorry to get pedantic, but honestly, you could apply your "problem" to every single other crafting style. No one complains that no ones wants to buy 90% of the low level carpentry or blacksmithing, or whatever items that we craft. Why would someone buy my arrows that I craft, when they pickup an insane amount of them for free? (And I've seen some vendors sell x100 and x1000 stacks of them for 1 gold). The list goes on and on and on. No-one wants to buy the crappy wooden chairs or tables or dressers I make. Everyone wants to buy the elven furniture and lights though. /rant

3devious and Spungwa like this.
  19. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

As a cook in this game, I have been sitting around waiting for them to do something with the cooking skill (like, give it a tree ;) ?) It feels like an almost pointless trade, but I still do it for RP. My tavern is bomb and so is my mutton pie.

Id like there to be greater incentives for people to seek out cooks and their wares. If anything, increase skill requirements for all manner of recipes, so you actually have to invest in the skill to craft worthwhile foods. Most of the effects of food dont incentivize avatars to spend on them, and its a ton of work for little return.

Zeetocht and Vaentorian like this.
  20. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Adding level restrictions to anything is a fundamental design change.

It breaks the deminishing returns on advancement. If when I get to certain points in the advancement of my character I can utilise stronger crafted goods, then my character gets a step increase in power at each of those points. This step means you are heading down the the route of exponential power advancement rather than deminishing returns.

I personally prefer deminishing returns, just one of the things I think this game has made the right choice on.

I don't want to play a game were if you are 10 (or whatever) levels above mobs or other players, regardless of what they do or how many of them there are it is impossible for the higher level character to lose.

Spung

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.