Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lot/House Deco slow loading

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Sorthious, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

08/30/2018 17:57

Reproduction Rate:Intermittent

Blocker? no

Details: Often when I come onto my lot the decorations take up to 30secs to load up. The same thing happens with mobs sometimes; they don't load until I'm right on top of them, and sometimes not until I've already passed them by.

[​IMG]

Fully Loaded House:

[​IMG]
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15913
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-33-generic, LLVM 6.0.0) GPU RAM: 8121
    SotA.Linux.64.823.Date.08.30.18
    Area: ForestVillage02/Holtrot
    Area Display Name: Holtrot
    Loc: (-117.6, 25.7, 50.1)
    Debug: Rm9yZXN0VmlsbGFnZTAyfEhvbHRyb3R8KC0xMTcuNTY4LCAyNS42OTksIDUwLjA3Mil8KDAsIDAuODg2LCAwLCAtMC40NjQpfC02Ni41NTIxNXwxOS41OTkzOXw0LjkwODY3

2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Do you have aggressive deco loading enabled?

3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I think I currently have it off but it has done this in the past with it on. Not in game to check.

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I also have this mostly off, but when enabling it the deco spawns a lot faster for me. I did not care too much if it spawns a bit slower if general performance in POT's and town is better.
    But 30 secs to load is just too much..

Jaesun and Sorthious like this.
  5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I thought I read something about it, or Cull Decorations that prompts the computer to use CPU over GPU, which I don't want. I think that's why I had cut it off at a point.

Feeyo likes this.
  6. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

@Sorthious I wasn't able to repo getting onto your lot before the decorations loaded. How were you able to do that?

Sorthious likes this.
  7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Not sure that it helps, but generally I'm moving pretty fast; I use a Fleet Flute/Dash combo and, sometimes, double-tap the forward key to maximize running speed. I will try again in a bit to do it. Will also play around with the Aggressive Decoration Loading option.

8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

@Lord Subtleton , here is a video of the loading issue. This isn't isolated to my house. It happens in a lot of places. I tried this with Aggressive Decoration Loading Enabled and Disabled. By the way, what exactly does this do? Make the GPU work harder? Also, what about Cull Interior Decorations? I've used both options with no noticable effect.

9. Lord Subtleton

Hmm. Definitely something not right there. There should be a collision wall that prevents you from getting onto the lot until all of the decos have loaded. Does the collision blocking work correctly when running at normal (un-buffed) speed?

10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

If I go at normal speed the house deco(inside/out) is spawned by the time I get there. I have hit the collision wall before, which is annoying btw, and have to wait for all the deco to load before I can get onto my lot and down into the basement. When that happened I would have to wait 10-30s just to get onto the lot. A lot of these types of problems didn't happen for me, including the hitching, when the draw distance was further out. Now, everything tries to draw on the fly and, it seems to me at least, that trying to draw all those objects that rapidly would cause issues. I know not everyone has a setup that would allow things to draw too much further out, but could we possibly get an option to adjust the draw distance? Also, I have an 8gig video card but I have to change scenes a lot of times just to get it to use 5gigs of memory, while my system memory is constantly draining. Thanks for addressing this @Lord Subtleton !

11. Lord Subtleton

Thanks for the post. If we can get the collision issue to reproduce here, we will address it. You might try using a recall scroll to get to your lot faster. Many players prefer that to waiting on deco loads.

Sorthious likes this.
  12. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

The collision wall is only there when the LOT is already loaded and deco loading is started/triggered. In some POTs it need some time until houses (and the LOTs) are loaded. As long they are not there i can run wherever i want. As soon deco loading starts there is also a collision wall that prevents you from enter the LOT before deco loading is complete.
    We have a town lot in town that shows the crafting pavilion and the 4 vendors, surrounded by row lots. Walking (with0ut speed buffs) from my home to my shop triggers some "deco loading threads", usually these are still in progress before the "deco loading thread" of the town lot get his time. This allows me running over it before deco loading is started. Using speed buff (+1.8 speed) ensures that client is happy with loading deco from bypassed houses and discard deco loading from houses that are to far away.

If the instance, of the town, is freshly started it takes several seconds before the deco of my home is loaded. Even when recall is used. But if i manage to move before the "load deco" is triggered i am able to enter the house without deco. However if i stand at a place where deco will appear i will be positioned at the nearest side of the lot outside.

@Sorthious
    Aggressive Deco Loading: If this is checked all deco keeps in memory even when you are to far away. If unchecked deco that is to far away will be discarded from memory and needs to be loaded from disk when needed again. However there are also file buffers, if you have enough memory there is a chance that discarded deco resides in the file buffers and with this you may not see a difference.

Cull Interior Decorations: Like i observed it: Some Deco Elements are removed from the rendering process if to far away. Mostly seen with candles. Personally i did not see a performance difference if this is checked or not. But keep it checked, just in case.

13. Lord Subtleton

@CatweazleX I was able to repro the issue with the collision wall not working properly. That will be addressed for the next release. If you use a recall scroll to your lot, when the load screen is complete, you should find your character standing in front of the lot with the house + decos fully loaded. (i.e. no additional waiting for decorations to pop in). If you find a case where this is not working, please re-post and note the time that the issue occurred so I can examine the logs.

14. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

@Lord Subtleton
    Is this true only for recall or all other LOTs also?
    I'll check it on the next QA

This is handled in another thread: There are ways to better report hitching? Maybe a button/key i can press to set a marker either in your log or the local log or both?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.