The Master’s Guide to Agriculture (Part 2/2) -Final-

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Adrian (Kung Fu Master), May 18, 2018.

?

Useful guide?

1. Yes

93.3%
  2. No

4.4%
  3. Undecide

2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

2. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

Pretty sad news for the community as they're fixing the vertical farming in R58. However, it's possible to leave enough space between planter beds to grow things without violating the rules. We will wait to see how this turn out.

3. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

It also relates to the ones that get stacked on top of each other too.

4. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

We definitely need a clarification on what "a space" means.

5. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I've been away for a few weeks due to work and personal life, but I have been trying to keep up with the changes as they happen. I heard about the vertifical farming thing. Has anyone figured out what are some of the best layouts to use now after this R58 "fix"?

Jaesun likes this.
  6. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

[​IMG]

Jay Nord and Spoon like this.
  7. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

So I just got into farming (now that I figured out you can drag the seed to your utility bar- boy was I doing it wrong at first) and found your guides super helpful. Wanted to share my village lot farm, which I setup recently and have enjoyed quite a lot so far. Used a lot of info from the guide, thanks!!! It's in Wizard's Rest near the main crafting tables if you care to check it out. Have 422 planting spots outdoors only. Could go higher but I wanted to have a shop and some other deco out. Climb the aether dragon to get to the upper planting decks.

[​IMG]

8. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Very creative.

9. Lained

Lained Avatar

This is why we can't have nice things. *waits for another fix that'll make decorating even more janky*

10. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Sorry @Lained , Don’t mean to offend. The plants all have room to grow and deco limits followed. I don’t understand the concern. I am newer to farming so may be missing some pretext. I thought the concern before was about obvious exploit / deco bugs.

11. Lained

Lained Avatar

The concern is that you're bypassing a couple of game mechanics to increase your yield. First low light levels increase the maturation time i.e. growing within basements so although you have room for the mature plant access to sunlight is reduced. Second plants take up floor space which you can increase by upgrading your lot size and there's a gold sink involved that you're not paying for. My main issue though is that if they decide as they did before that this form of farming isn't intended they'll need to implement a fix and the last one was to detriment of the decoration system itself.

12. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Aw man, I sure don't want to get deco system messed up. :oops:
    I am not entirely sure what you're referring to as your main issue, since I don't know the context of:
    I guess I thought the point of having building blocks in the game was to build with them. I just learned about them and just started farming a couple days ago. I thought it would be a fun aspect of the game to explore, since I never played with it and I just returned back off a 3 month hiatus. I've only played about 9 months total since release. You seem like you've been around a long time. I certainly have respect for you as a farmer, and have frequented your Ven Dor when I have been in the area, and always appreciate your great prices and stock. So I appreciate your insight.

To your points,

I reckon the plants still have more abundant light out in the open than they would in a basement (are grow lights a thing? I don't really understand the idea of basement farming in general.) The elevated pillar sections are just to give me a space for a “tiny house” and aren’t really over any other crops. I reckon if we could ever reposition the house on the lot, we could build all kinds of more creative structures.

Second, plants take up planter space, in a container. If it was “floor space”, why not use tillable soil, or not allow planters on objects (the way tiles work) or something? Ultimately my build stays under deco limit, so not really sure how that’s an issue. I reckon I could buy a bigger plot of land like you suggest, but a completely flat farm seems kind of boring to me, and I enjoy the challenge of jumping around mine the way it's built.

I think you're getting at a rules-as-written vs rules-as-intended argument, and I'm not sure I agree with you on your interpretation of the rules. But again, you've been around longer than I have, and I respect your point of view.

I totally see your main point about the deco system, and agree with you, and only want to see the deco system enhanced, not subtracted from.

Mostly I think it is -fun- to build and if we had more modular building options, I would forgo a prefab house at all, and probably buy a ton of more modular house building stuff on the crown store. (Loving the dungeon system so far!)

13. Lained

Lained Avatar

To prevent stacking an invisible layer was added that interacts with decoration items, it can cause you to pickup the underlying item when you reach for one that's behind it but still perfectly targetable with the cursor. To correctly pickup the wanted item the camera needs to be repositioned to avoid the hidden barrier. I find myself doing this multiple times every day, it's a real pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.